• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Good bye Stargate SG1- Spoilers

Started by moyer777, June 22, 2007, 11:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moyer777

Well, tonight the last Stargate SG1 TV show aired.

I enjoyed the episode but was sad that Jack Oniel didn't make an appearance.
I can see that they left it open for some movies, and that will be cool.

I liked the makeup, the idea of it all, and couldn't help but feel sad when it ended.  Not the same as when TNG stopped, or Enterprise ended... but still sad.

Here is to all the men and women who made Stargate SG-1 such a great show!   :cheers

I liked Atlantis tonight too.  It was a great show.  Got to see the new Dr.  got to hear the set up for Elizabeth not being around as much, and left us in a good cliff hanger till September.  I even liked Rodney in this episode.  Which is saying a lot for me! :)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

I liked them too.  But don't worry, two movies are already being worked on.  Direct to DVD I think.  Check other Stargate threads for details.

Fanboy

Cool shows dude.  Stargate rocks it!!
"I aim to misbehave."

lostrekkie

I really enjoyed both shows. I cant wait for the direct-to-DVD movies. They should really be great. I hope that other show, Stargate Universe, becomes a reality. It wont seem the same have just one stargate show on, now that we have had that way for 3 years. I just hope Atlantis, which has never really gone long without a crossover to SG-1, can hold its own. But a least Carter is coming to Atlantis. I loved the previews of here in Atlantis after the finale aired.

Also, what do you mean "I even liked Rodney". Rodney is my favorite on Atlantis. But to each his/her own.
"The quality of a society can be seen through the quality of its art."

Come visit my Star Trek fan fiction series at http://stmirrorwars.tripod.com

moyer777

Quote from: lostrekkie on June 24, 2007, 06:06:50 AM
I really enjoyed both shows. I cant wait for the direct-to-DVD movies. They should really be great. I hope that other show, Stargate Universe, becomes a reality. It wont seem the same have just one stargate show on, now that we have had that way for 3 years. I just hope Atlantis, which has never really gone long without a crossover to SG-1, can hold its own. But a least Carter is coming to Atlantis. I loved the previews of here in Atlantis after the finale aired.

Also, what do you mean "I even liked Rodney". Rodney is my favorite on Atlantis. But to each his/her own.

Oh, from time to time Rodney gets on my nerves.  He reminds me of Gleek from the superfriends, or wonderdog, or some type of mascot ... comic relief.  Anyway, I don't really hate him.  He is a great actor, I just get tired of him sometimes.  :)

Ktrek

I'm with you Rick. Rodney gets on my nerves and can be and often is a much too annoying character. I'd prefer that they downplay his role and spend more time on the other characters.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

moyer777

You know, there is that whole "believeable" factor that has to come into play.  While it may be a stretch of the imagination to number 1, believe that Startgate Technology actually works, that they have indeed found Atlantis, that giant lizard people can suck the life out of you with a toilet plunger installed on their hands, etc.. it is not believeable to me that a brilliant scientist can whine so much and be such a jerk to his fellow team mates.  Regardless of his knowlege he would be fired in the real world for his attitude and arrogance.  Just my opinion.  I have worked with people like his character, and it doesn't last too long, and they usually don't work out because they are such pains in the neck.

:)

All that said, I do like his character when he is more subtle, it's the whole episodes centered around him that make me cringe, I still like the show, but miss the character development of the others.  There are some way cool characters on SGA.  It's a great concept and I can't wait to see Carter on it.

Darkmolerman

Stargate for me is the Most belivablible because it is present....well sorry got to go can't say more cya guys!
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

markinro

It was kind of wierd Friday night.   I guess because SciFi reruns the show often - its not really gone.   Same for all the ST series.  Its rare that I  buy entire seasons on DVD - only exception to date has been Chef (BBC show) and the original Mission Impossible.  I will be curious about the movies.   Atlantis was great -- as ususal.   I thought fer sure Wier was toast.

lostrekkie

I believe Weir is toast. I think her character is going to die to make way for Carter coming to Atlantis. I just wonder what the timeline for the character is going to be, as she has quite a bit to do for the movies.

Wow, I am surprised how many people dont like Rodney centered episodes. I love those. Too me, I am most like Rodney. Not trying to be gloating or anything but I am pretty smart, near, if not at, the top of my class, but I am a little whiny, and like to try to put myself over others, though not as rudely as Rodney does it. For me, I can compare the best to Rodney. I am not a fighter like Rohnan or Sheppard, nor spirtual like Tela. I can compare with Weir as I am a sort of leader, but I still identify more with Rodney.

One of my favorite episodes of the show was the one where Rodney was stuck underwater with a makebelieve Carter. I loved that episode and loved the relationship between Rodney and what he thought Carter to be.  It will be funny to see how his character will be like when he has to work with Carter as his boss.

markinro

I really can't think of a character -- ok, maybe Ford after his transformation -- where I didn't enjoy a character centered story.   Heck, I even thought we should have a show about "Steve".   :)

I say Carter will somehow get clued in on Rodney's little fantasy.   They must have offered Carter quite a raise to work with Rodney again.

lostrekkie

Quote from: markinro on June 27, 2007, 11:27:39 AM
They must have offered Carter quite a raise to work with Rodney again.

LOL!

Anyways, I really think it is a good thing that CArter come on the show. I jsut am curious how her character is supposed to be worked in in the shows timeline, as she will have to be with SG-1 back in our galaxy for the for the movies.

Also, did you guys hear that the movies may (its just a rumor for now, but I am not sure, it might be ture) be delayed until 2008. That would stink, but is not overly bad. Gives us more time to get excited about it.  :tealc

Locutus

Quote from: moyer777 on June 25, 2007, 10:11:35 AM
it is not believeable to me that a brilliant scientist can whine so much and be such a jerk to his fellow team mates.  Regardless of his knowlege he would be fired in the real world for his attitude and arrogance.  Just my opinion.  I have worked with people like his character, and it doesn't last too long, and they usually don't work out because they are such pains in the neck.

It is my understanding that, now that they are all there, they are kind-of stuck with each other, even though they can go back and forth from Earth, but the secrecy level keeps them together. Besides, don't you think that Rodney has saved their lives enough that he's built up a little credit against being disliked?

I personally enjoy Rodney, and I think they write him so that he has a heart, and all of his posturing is just that, posturing. He's really a sweet guy, and I don't think he can actually believe the other characters like him, so he acts like they don't. He's one of those people that have been kicked around so much emotionally, he acts like a cornered dog all the time, acting like he's being attacked and he gets defensive. But I think he's been changing that as they go, so now he is more able to accept the team, and his own faults.

Just my opinion. :)
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

moyer777

I go through phases where I like him better.  :)

I remember a time on SG1 that I was getting sick of Jack's one liners.  I can't remember what season it was, but it was just stalling the program, it would stick out to me.  Then I guess the writers changed it around.  Part of what made Jack's character so fun was his sarcasim.  But sometimes they would push it over the limits and it would distract from the great story.   

That's what I think bugs me about Rodney,  they have a great story and sometimes I'm distracted because he is being a jerk, and just get annoyed with his whining. 

Not enough though to quit watching.  In fact, Stargate and Antlantis are right up there after Trek!

I too am looking forward to the next season of Atlantis.  Can't wait!  woo hoo!

Locutus

Yeah, I love Atlantis.

I have to say, though, that I was less than impressed with this season of SG1, and found the last episode a little too derivative of old episodes of Farscape and Babylon 5.

By way of analogy - this season felt like a trout left on the dock. It flounders for a while, tries to get going, but eventually just expires without much fanfare.

EDIT: And yes, I agree with your assessment of Jack's one-liners, and Rodney's whining. The only difference I see is that Rodney doesn't really get to me, but I'm right with you on Jack.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.