• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Stargate: Universe - possible spoilers

Started by Geekyfanboy, June 13, 2007, 02:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cassious

I was really looking forward to seeing this, my science teacher and I spent a lot of time discussing it when I should've been doing my lab(*whistles innocently*) yesterday. But then I kind of forgot until my nephew phoned to tell me about it and by then my brother was watching Criminal Minds and wouldn't change the channel >:(. I'll have to find it online or something...

New episodes come out every Friday right?
"Would you like refreshments?""No""...Would you like a pillow?""No!""Perhaps some music?""No thank you!...Sir!" Gotta love when an android tries to be caring ♥
My cyberpunk fic:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5335859/1/Blurred_Realities

Rico

X

Quote from: moyer777 on October 03, 2009, 08:37:55 AM
hulu.com has a bunch of the SG1 for viewing as well as Atlantis.  FREE!  NICE!  We have been watching a bunch of them. 

Yeah, as far as the characters go, there are some characters I don't like already.  I thought that was good, and the chain of command seems blurred and constantly changing, which  makes for a much more tense and darker scenerio. 

[spoiler]I dig the kid.  I think it is so cool that they have a character like in Galaxy Quest that goes "It's all real!  It's all real!"  it makes for a fun part of the show.  My only problem with the show was the sex scene.  They could have done that a little more tastefully.   I understand that they want it darker and edgier, but they lost my wife and daughter on that one.  They made it un-family friendly with a 20 second scene.  Oh well, that's why I dvr stuff.  :)[/spoiler]

[spoiler] I knew that the sex scene would lose a few people, but I didn't mind it at all. With all the violence and dead bodies that show up on prime time, I think a little sex is a good break. We can watch people get carved up and autopsied on half a dozen crime shows, but sex seems to be something that people shy away from. I'm kind of glad they didn't because it made some sense to me. If I'm single and spending extended time on a world where humanity can be counted in the dozens, I'd also be looking for that physical connection between another person. Even more so now that we're all that we have left. [/spoiler]

Rico

Yeah, without getting into it a lot, many people seem to have a bigger problem seeing two people together and finding comfort than people dying and getting shot, blown up and so forth.  I did see a big, bold TV14 rating symbol when the show started.  They usually do a pretty good job of warning people about this stuff.  But I guess everyone has things that make them uncomfortable in watching.  Now if there were a bunch of spiders,.....   ;)

sheldor

If they use the word frack, is that copyright infringemen?

Ktrek

I liked the premiere for the most part also but like Rick I think the sex scene could have been better left out or modified to be more family friendly. If the show is going to move in that direction very much then they will not be getting me as a viewer. I think Stargate has always had a family friendly type show and a move away from that may gain more teenagers but it will lose a lot of the fanbase they have spent 12 years building. And I'm by no means prudish but there is no way I would let my kid (if I had one at home) watch this show if they keep going in this direction.

Outside of that it was quite suspenseful and well acted. Some of the sfx didn't seem as good as they had gotten on Atlantis but that will probably change.

I also hope that they don't spend too much time on the ship because it can get to be very claustrophobic.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

X

Quote from: Ktrek on October 03, 2009, 10:07:39 PM
I liked the premiere for the most part also but like Rick I think the sex scene could have been better left out or modified to be more family friendly. If the show is going to move in that direction very much then they will not be getting me as a viewer. I think Stargate has always had a family friendly type show and a move away from that may gain more teenagers but it will lose a lot of the fanbase they have spent 12 years building. And I'm by no means prudish but there is no way I would let my kid (if I had one at home) watch this show if they keep going in this direction.

Outside of that it was quite suspenseful and well acted. Some of the sfx didn't seem as good as they had gotten on Atlantis but that will probably change.

I also hope that they don't spend too much time on the ship because it can get to be very claustrophobic.

Kevin
I'd disagree with that. I remember watching Sg-1 when it premiered. There was nudity and language, no sex, but you could tell the show was made for Showtime. Over time it mellowed out and became more PG, but I think it 's heart it started out as an adult Sci fi show and then changed when it got to edited for syndication. I think that this show isn't moving in another direction, but using what works.

The "sex" scene showed nothing at all. There was no nudity in it, but I think that's the point. If people blowing up, suffocating, and blood pouring out of the skulls of people's head is some how more family friendly than a non nudity sex scene, I could see why violence accepted easier in the country.

As far as first episodes go, this had far less exposed breast than the first episode of Sg1 and that went on for ten years. Atlantis had no nudity or sex scenes in the first episode and lasted 5 years.

I look forward to the show and considering that it is about the human condition and how they react to the situation they are in, I'd expect to see more relationship stuff in the future. Also given that the show is about them being on the Destiny, I wouldn't be surprised in the Loin's share of episodes deal with them being on the ship. It would only make sense.

Ktrek

I think you miss my main point. I think there are better ways that can imply two people had sex without showing them humping each other in a closet. I realize that the first episode of SG-1 had nudity because Showtime wanted it. I do not recall any nudity after that first episode. I read that the producers believed it was a mistake to have had the nudity in the first episode and that's why they just recently released a cleaned up version of the first episode on DVD. It's too bad that they didn't make it in such a way that anyone who wanted could just replace that first disc in the Season One box set.

The people suffocating and the blood (pouring out I think is not factual) suited the story that was being told. It was not gratuitous. The sex scene was gratuitous. If that scene had been edited out it would not have affected the story the least tiniest bit.

Kevin

"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

moyer777

my point is I love to share my shows with my family, and in this case I didn't feel comfortable with my daughter seeing that.  I see the point about the violence and stuff, that does seem a bit hypocritical, but I guess that is just one of the lines I draw.  I'm not always successful. :)

My kids know about sex, and relationships, I just thought it out of character on a Stargate show.  That's all.  I liked the show a lot. 

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

I wouldn't get too worked up yet - we've only seen one episode.  However, I would point out that the sex scene showed there is a strong relationship between two of the characters - therefore it may very well be important to the story as it plays out.  I would also say, this is a new show.  It isn't SG:1 or Atlantis.  As Chris has said it's very "BSG-like" in tone (a show that had a LOT of sex scenes).  The show might not be for everyone and everyone can certainly make up their own mind on that. 

moyer777

moyer777

There were some scenes on BSG that we fast forwarded through too.  My wife and daughter really didn't like the show anyway.  :)  So it wasn't a "shared" program.  :)

X

Quote from: moyer777 on October 04, 2009, 08:48:00 AM
my point is I love to share my shows with my family, and in this case I didn't feel comfortable with my daughter seeing that.  I see the point about the violence and stuff, that does seem a bit hypocritical, but I guess that is just one of the lines I draw.  I'm not always successful. :)

My kids know about sex, and relationships, I just thought it out of character on a Stargate show.  That's all.  I liked the show a lot.  

Rick, I totally get what you're saying and respect that. I know where you are coming from in that for a long time I would turn my face from the kissing parts of something, but not blink during the violent parts. It wasn't until years later that I figured out why I did that. Here in the states, we unfortunately accept violence as a way of our history. In other cultures, the ideas of nudity and sex are far less taboo than it is here and in some places, the violence is seen as worse than the intimacy.

I think it's all a part of our weird mish mashed culture here, but I think that it will play better across the pond. If torchwood is any example, we are really prude compared to elsewhere. They edit out most of the sex and keep the violence when showing it here. I also think that compared to the sex of their other most recent Sci-fi epics, BSG, they really toned down the way sex is shown.

I've spent a long time trying to figure out why I could accept the violence quicker than I could accept the love making and I came up with two ideas:

1) Violence happens and it's something that we can encounter in the everyday world.
2) Sex happens, but it's nothing something that we see in the everyday world and it might make you feel a little like a voyeur because that is a closed door activity.

That, after years of thinking about, it is all that I could come up with. I thought it might have something to do with early religious backgrounds, but then a close friend reminded me of the Song of Songs/ Songs of Solomon and he decide that it's a culture thing not a religious one.

BUT you are not the only one. I still struggle as to what level of violence or sex is acceptable for my children to see. I think it's a never ending battle to try to raise them better than I was and not to ruin them in the process.

moyer777

That is really a cool reply.  This would make an awesome topic on my podcast.   

It really is fascinating! 

Thanks for the great discussion.

Scott

I just want to say that the producers have always said the show is very adult and intended for a more mature audience. I thought it was because of the darker tone, but I guess its because of alot of different things.
- Scott Hough

The Vintage Gamers