Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Stargate: Universe - possible spoilers

Started by Geekyfanboy, June 13, 2007, 02:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Cast picture:

moyer777

I am really looking forward to this.  I love most of the Stargate stuff I have seen.  This looks a tad bit edgier (is that a word?)  The Stargate folks have an awesome reputation for quality sci fi, so I would imagine this is going to rock.  We shall see!  either way, NEW SCI FI!  WOO HOO!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

X

Great show! They BSGed SG, but I think it works.

Rico

Yeah - I liked the first two hours as well.  Nice to see some familiar faces too.  Definitely going to keep watching.

Geekyfanboy

Do you have to have seen the other Stargates to get this one?

moyer777

I really enjoyed this show, it has some great possibilities.  No Kenny, the characters are all new, and even the scenario is new... there is some stargate lore, but not so much that you couldn't enjoy it.   Great show.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on October 02, 2009, 08:33:46 PM
That is a good question.  I have only seen the original movie, and never any of the TV shows.
Pete

Rico

While it would help to know some Stargate background, you can certainly get by without it.  Enough is explained for new watchers and the characters are new (except for a few guest appearances).  Jump into the gate!

Feathers

I haven't seen it yet (Grrrr...) but attraction of new viewers was always sort of the point of the way they've formatted and been pushing this.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

X

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on October 02, 2009, 08:33:46 PM
No, I think they went out of their way to not drag in the history of the other shows. We get references to SG1 but in a way that doesn't detract from the current show. Everything is explained as if this is the first dip into that universe, but at the same time paying subtle homage to those that have come before it.

X

Another note: I think it's very different in that out of the box, I already dislike a couple of main characters. This was NEVER done in the other shows.

sheldor

I'm having a bit of a hard time with this but I'll keep watching.

[spoiler]There was no reason to dial the 9th symbol.  They could have returned to earth and tried again later.  I have to think there is some alterior motive.  Why put together a rag tag team like this?  Someone needs to shoot the scientist - he's no Sam or Daniel.  If I was Chloe, I would have thrown the guy out an airlock.  What did the senator know?[/spoiler]

Rico

Quote from: markinro on October 03, 2009, 07:08:07 AM

[spoiler]There was no reason to dial the 9th symbol.  They could have returned to earth and tried again later.  I have to think there is some alterior motive.  Why put together a rag tag team like this?  Someone needs to shoot the scientist - he's no Sam or Daniel.  If I was Chloe, I would have thrown the guy out an airlock.  What did the senator know?[/spoiler]

A couple answers...

[spoiler]They had to try the ninth symbol then since the base was getting pounded and they wouldn't be able to return.  Did you see the place blow up at the end when the Colonel went flying through the Gate?  The reason the team isn't ideal is this was not the team that was ever meant to go on a mission through the gate.  It was a just a mix of who was left on Icarus base when it was attacked.  They mentioned they were only going to send a probe in and see what they found and then setup for a full gate mission later.  This wasn't planned at all.[/spoiler]

X

Quote from: markinro on October 03, 2009, 07:08:07 AM

[spoiler] I thought it was kind of self explanatory. This was the only place in the galaxy that allowed them to use the 9th chevron. The core was getting ready to blow and it was a now or never thing. Mr. Science wanted to go and he manipulated the situation to make it a safer bet than going to Earth. If you notice, some of that energy of the explosion was defused into the gate by increasing the velocity of those exiting and how they exited. People and bags weren't diving in or being tossed through, but all were ejected when they hit the other side. Imagine if that energy wasn't diminished over the vast space that they traveled. [/spoiler]

moyer777

hulu.com has a bunch of the SG1 for viewing as well as Atlantis.  FREE!  NICE!  We have been watching a bunch of them. 

Yeah, as far as the characters go, there are some characters I don't like already.  I thought that was good, and the chain of command seems blurred and constantly changing, which  makes for a much more tense and darker scenerio. 

[spoiler]I dig the kid.  I think it is so cool that they have a character like in Galaxy Quest that goes "It's all real!  It's all real!"  it makes for a fun part of the show.  My only problem with the show was the sex scene.  They could have done that a little more tastefully.   I understand that they want it darker and edgier, but they lost my wife and daughter on that one.  They made it un-family friendly with a 20 second scene.  Oh well, that's why I dvr stuff.  :)[/spoiler]