• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

John Doe

Started by moyer777, June 01, 2007, 10:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moyer777

So, Sci Fi had a bunch of John Doe episodes on recently.  We DVR'd them.  Wow, that was a great show.  Man, the cliff hanger was way to much for me!  Did anyone write any continuation novels of that show?  I mean, the last shot is the _________ staring down the hatch at John.... and what are we supposed to think now????  AHHHH!

Anyway, the show was ahead of it's time.  Did anyone else enjoy it?

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Geekyfanboy

LOVED IT!!!!! I was so upset when they canceled it.. they use to play Firefly then John Doe every Friday on Fox.  It was a great two hour block.

Rico

Also loved it!  Great show.  I read somewhere on the net where the creators explained the whole thing, what John Doe was, etc. since the show ended.  It was an interesting concept.

moyer777

any idea where you found that?

I am very curious.

moyer777

I found a cool article on it...

After the show was cancelled, one of its producers revealed the secret of the main character's true identity in an interview with TV Guide: the Phoenix Organization, he said, was a group conducting research into near-death experiences. They believed that the sum total of knowledge in the universe would be conferred upon them at the moment of death, so they killed John and brought him back to life in order to gain access to that knowledge.

The show's final episode revealed that Digger, one of John's closest friends, was in fact the true leader of the Phoenix Organization.

Meanwhile, in contrast to the revelations of the show's producers, Dominic Purcell revealed in an interview at the Television Critics Association winter press tour that "apparently I was the messiah returned," confirming an earlier report in Entertainment Weekly. As for the Phoenix group? "They were working for the Vatican. The Catholics. They didn't want it to be revealed that the true Christ had returned." It's worth noting that this explanation is inconsistent with the clues related in the series. In particular, the episode "John Deux" indicates that John is not unique and that others have the exact same mark on their body.

A different explanation was eventually put forward by the show's producers in the pages of Entertainment Weekly. The article read, in part:

Where We Left Off: Doe was helping the police solve crimes and being tracked by a seemingly nefarious group called the Phoenix Organization. He finally unmasked the big bad, a villain nicknamed Stocking Cap -- his friend, Digger (played by William Forsythe)!

What Would Have Happened: Make that someone who looked like Digger. The villain unmasked in the finale was actually just a Phoenix member with some fancy facial reconstruction. Turns out, the Phoenix believed Doe was the Messiah and its members were actually protecting Doe from a second group, which wanted him dead. The truth: Doe was injured in a boating accident. That mark on his chest? A scar left by a piece of shrapnel from the explosion. His Ãœberbrain? A by-product of transcending his body during a near-death experience, traveling to a spiritual plane where all the universe's questions are answered, and returning.... naked!

So Who is John Doe?! "You'd think we actually would have come up with his name," the show's producer revealed. "We have no idea," he finally admitted, before adding "Fred."

This boating-accident explanation is also inconsistent with there being multiple John Does.

Fanboy

Dudes - that was a cool show.
"I aim to misbehave."