News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Daleks Voted Scariest Doctor Who Monsters

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 27, 2007, 09:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Daleks Voted Scariest Doctor Who Monsters

Written by: Michael Hickerson (SoSF Journalist)

Maybe this is why Russell T. Davies insists on bringing them back every year.

The Daleks were voted the “scariest monsters” of the new “Doctor Who” recently in poll conducted by the BBC. The runner-up were the gas-mask children from series one’s “The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances” two-part story.

Every time the Daleks return, we make them bigger and better than ever before, and this time, their plan is the most audacious Dalek scheme yet,” said Russell T Davies, creator and executive producer of the series.

The Daleks were created by Terry Nation and single-handedly saved “Doctor Who” from the cancellation heap back in 1963. In creating the monsters, Nation established ownership over the popular-monsters, thus ensuring his approval of their use in the show (as well as financial compensation). When Nation passed away a few years ago, the rights to the popular metal monsters went to the Nation estate.

Because of this, it was uncertain when the new series debuted if the creators would be allowed to use the Daleks or not. The first season episode “Dalek” had to be re-written several times as negotations stalled and resumed over the use of the Daleks. The production team got a three-year deal to use the Daleks, which is set to expire at the end of this season. No word yet on if the team is in negotations to bring the popular monsters back for series four.

The list of the scariest monsters is as follows:

The Daleks
The Empty Child Zombies
The Beast
The Cybermen
The Clockwork Droids
The Ood
The Empress of Racnoss
The Werewolf
The Autons/Nestenes
Chloe’s Dad

Movie Sean

Yeah the Daleks are the scariest Sci-Fi monsters in my book.

Scared the crap out of me as a kid.

To a 5 year old, a trash can with a plunger is s-c-a-r-y!!!
Call me cocky, but if there's an alien I can't kill, I haven't met him and killed him yet.

Darth Gaos

EXTERMINATE!!

EXTERMINATE!!

EXTERMINATE!!

I do love me the Daleks!
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?