• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Star Trek: Season 1 - Flash Point

Started by keozen, February 05, 2007, 04:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keozen

"Beep, Beep, Beep....."

The sound rattled around his head as a steady stream of consciousness tried to dill his weary brain.

The alarm had woken him at 06:00 just as he wanted. Opening his eyes finally he sat upright in bed, letting the world come to him bit by bit as he turned and slipped on his dressing gown before walking the short distance to the bathroom.

He had grown used to this routine over the last month while he had been stationed on the Starbase. His ship was undergoing a full refit and he was still awaiting a lot of replacement crew, all his days were kept busy in meetings with Admiral Talbot discussing the recent trade negotiations and renewals with Fesarius.

=/\= chirp =/\=
"Transporter Room 12 to Bell"

Gilbert's combadge flared into life as the transporter Chief's voice came from the small speaker on his bedside table. Tapping the insignia he replied.

"Bell here, what is it Chief?"

"Sorry to bother you at this early hour Captain, but I have a 'Commander Nathan Quinn' requesting transport. He says he's here to see you?"

Gilbert cracked a small smile as he slipped his jacket on. Picking up his combadge he placed it onto his chest in the correct position.

"That he is Chief, I'll be right there."

-------------------------
Captain Gilbert Bell
Commanding Officer
USS Tiberius

Geekyfanboy

Starbase 514 : Temp Crew Quarters :

::recording message:: .... can you believe that?? Anyways I just wanted to drop you a quick message before I head out on my new mission. I've heard Captain Bell is a really good Captain and I'm very lucky that he chose me as his XO. I'll let you know how he is I'm suppose to meet him at.... oh shoot... it's almost time. Anyways say hi to Dad, Jennifer and Anena, I love you guys very much. Bye Mom.

"Computer End Transmission and send to Anashta Quinn at Starfleet Headquarters"

"Message sent"

Quinn ran around and packed up the remaining items scattered about his room and quickly headed toward the transporter room. He enters a few minutes later.

"Good morning Ensign could you please contact the Tiberius and let them know I am ready to come aboard."

"Yes sir"

=/\= USS Tiberius this is Starbase 514 =/\=

=/\= Go ahead Starbase 514 =/\=

=/\=  I have a Commander Nathan Quinn requesting to come aboard =/\=

=/\=  Please stand by .... granted =/\=

"Sir I will take care of your belongings and get them to your quarters"

"Thank you Ensign"

Quinn stepped onto the transporter pad and felt that familiar tingling sensation as the Starbase transporter room disappeared. Seconds later he appeared on the transporter pad on the Tiberius. He noticed a man standing in front of him.

"::smiling:: Commander Nathan Quinn requesting permission to come aboard sir"

Commander Nathan Quinn
First Officer
USS Tiberius

keozen

The figure of Commander Nathan Quinn materialized slowly in front of Bell. As the effect of the transport wore off he turned towards him with a grin on his face.

"Commander Nathan Quinn requesting permission to come aboard sir"

Keeping a stern face Gilbert looked him up and down, sneering,
"Permission granted Commander, just remember to wipe your feet."

The suppressed grin finally broke onto his face and he let out a small chuckle as he stepped aside to let his first officer descend from the pad.

"So number one, how was the trip from the Isannah?"

"Ok I suppose, I had to take a transport from Kohlan so it's been a rather long trip."

Bell motioned the commander to follow him out of the transporter room and into the corridor.

"Kohlan eh? I remember being there about 18 months ago. Ferengi trying to rip you off all over the place."

"Indeed. I managed to steer clear of them for the most part at least."

"Good good. Well, I'm sure you're anxious to get started so I won't keep you long. We have a skeleton crew aboard already. I believe our Councilor is already here, as is our resident barman. I'll be holding a briefing for the crew at 14:00."

Bell paused at the turbolift at the end of the corridor and walked in, turning around.

"Ohh & Commander. Poker tusday night in the Rec lounge."

Captain Gilbert Bell
CO
USS Tiberius

OOC:
Ok guys it's open, go post! Post a short bit showing your character entering the ship & getting ready for Captain's briefing in the Rec room at 14:00. I'll be posting that at midnight GMT tomorrow!

moyer777

Counselor Margon rubbed his eyes.

"Man, what a day and it's only 0630."  His blue reflection bounced off the information pad on his desk in his quarters, "So many new folks coming on board today."  He rubbed the long ridge that went down his forehead.

He knew he had his work cut out for him.  According to their Starfleet records many of the new crew were aggressive and came with a lot of baggage.  As ships counselor he was responsible for keeping moral high and relationships fluid.  Almost everyone one of the newcomers had one thing in common.  They all liked combat.  This could either be really good, if channeled correctly, or really bad if left unchecked.

"The tension always runs a little high for a few weeks while everyone gets used to each other" he thought.  "The holodeck will be busy for this tour of duty!"  he was referring to the constant combat simulations that security chief Peters tried to get him to join in.  "He always says that a good fighting simulation will help me relax"  he smiled.  "and I tell him meditation and a good book does the trick for me, not sweat and fighting!"

"Computer" he stated, "playback creation Margon 3, from the beginning"  The soft sounds of violins began to fill the room as the infectious music played. He had composed this on his musical enhancer.   "Computer, level 4" he said, and the volume increased.   

His communicator blipped-
=^=Counselor you're needed to confirm the details for the orientation=^=

=^= Give me a half hour and I'm there=^=

=^= Yes sir!=^=

As was tradition there would be a captain's briefing at 1400 hours today and this would be his chance to see the new crew.  It always helped to see how they initially reacted to each other. Then he could make a game plan to help keep things flowing well.  He needed to meet with captain sometime shortly after that to get his take on things.  The captain and Margon worked well together.  He had cut his hair in Starfleet academy and in fact it was the captain that encouraged him to get his Starfleet Counseling degree for deep space missions.

He sipped on his morning root beer and continued looking at the information pad.  "Fascinating, fascinating.. he mumbled" he read down the ships crew until he reached the M's.. Manrique... Margon- "What in blazes?  What am I doing on this list?  And a civilian none the less!  Wait, what the...?? He spit the root beer out on his console..."  "Brex?"

_______
Counselor Margon

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

MrOsterman

A shuttle craft slipped across space ferrying in some of the more sensitive medical supplies that coud not be brought aboard by transporter.  Lt. Li Sameria sat quietly watching the junior officer pilot the craft in.  She didn't know him well; he was another one of the pilots assigned to the starbase.

"So, are you excited about the posting, Lt. Sameria?"  He was making polite conversation.

Sameria sighed.  "Li," she said flattly.

"Oh?"  The pilot looked over.  "William, but most call me Billy."  He grinned goodnaturedly.  "So, are you excited?"

Sameria sighed again, but like so many other times let it pass.  "To be honest," she confided quietly, "I miss the Sea Tiger."  She watched the ship pass the viewport as the shuttle made a wide arc towards one of the bays.  "But, I suppose to be managing operations aboard an Akira class will offer up some new challenges."  She managed a light smile.  "How long do plan to remain at the base, Ensign?"

The pilot grinned.  "As long as they let me, Li."  Sameria winced but said nothing. "I've got a nice post, doing what I love, piloting that is.  Plus I get to meet all manner of officers coming and going.  It's about all I wanted."  Showing confidence he pressed on. "You know, Li, you're not due out for another few hours. Has anyone given you a proper tour of the starbase?  I bet I can show you sections you shouldn't leave without seeing."  He smiled.

Sameria keyed a few signals into the co-pilots station and signaled the Tiberious they were on a final approach.  She was a little flattered by his attentions but resisted.  "I am rather afraid my duties will have the better of me, Ensign.  I've got a ship to manage, and I don't think the captain will be terribly impressed if I come running into his first crew briefing unprepared to weigh anchor."  It was true, she had at least three hundred things to see to before the ship set out, not the least of which was to inspect her station on the bridge.  Simulations were one thing; this was real.

The shuttle glided into the bay and she grabbed her duffle.  Before climbing out, she turned to the pilot and handed him a data pad.  "Bajoran naming customs," she explained.  "I would read it before you ferry over any more."

She purposfully made her way past the crewmen unloading, nodding acknowledgements and headed for first her quarters, to leave her bag, then to the bridge.

wso32

Talon Bowers was so excited to get the opportunity to serve on the USS Tiberius.  He arrived on Starbase 514 the night before he was to report for duty in hopes of getting to know some of the crew he would be working with.

With his bags in tow he tossed them on his bed and without even unpacking pulls out a bottle of Jameson and a deck of cards and leans out the hall, "anyone up for a drink and a game of Fizzbin?".  As the maintenance crew was just finishing up some repairs in the hallway, several join in.  Hours pass by and several crew members drop in to play before turning in for a good night sleep.  Soon its just Talon with two of the late night maintenance workers and Fizzbin has turned into old earth games such as quarters and every other drinking game this side of the galaxy.

When it was all said and done Talon stumbles back to his quarters, checks the clock and realizes he only has 4 hours until he needs to report for duty.  Ugh.  Not at all what Talon had planned for his first day on the Tiberius.  So much for making a good first impression on his new boss Lt. Peters.

Bryancd

Lt. Commander K'arath's feet crunched over the loose rock that paved Bright Angel trail. He had descended into the Grand Canyon earlier that morning on South Kiabob and lingered for a swim in the Colorado River when he reached the bottom. Now he was running the 12 miles up to the South Rim, climbing 5000 feet along the way.
He had first disovered the canyon while a cadet and always loved to run a down and out when he had the time. The sweat dripped from his brow ridges freely and his hair was cropped short in a very un-Klingon like style. I hope the other Klingons on board the Tiberius wouldn't have a problem with that, he mused, not that it ever stopped him before.

He had spent the last 2 weeks overseeing the refit of Tiberius in Space Dock. He was pleased witht he progress and was looking forward to meeting his new senior officers in engineering. He had reviewed all thier files and was especiallly looking forward to working with Ensign Morgan on upgrading the phaser array, the kid seemed to have a thing for weapons. The other staff was mostly human and one Bajoran, all hand picked by him and very competent.

He realized that time was running short and he needed to prepare for the captains briefing at 1400 hours. He pulled up short from his run and said out loud, "Computer, arch". The doorway materialized and K'arath exited the holdeck of the Tiberius and made his way to hus quarters leaving a trail of sweat in his wake.

Jen

He kissed their daughter and set her down on the transporter pad, then knelt to embrace their son. "Be good" he whispered in his tiny, pointed ear. The little boy nodded and hugged his father's neck. This was not the first time the small children parted from their father; yet in their two short years, David had never been absent for very long. This time, it was they who would be leaving, and the toddlers could not possibly comprehend the time that would pass before they would see him again.

Sevryll watched their son jump from step to step, before reaching his place on the transporter pad. She turned an impassive face to meet her husband's sullen expression. They embraced for several minutes before he bent to kiss her forehead. Everything that needed to be said had been expressed privately that morning, so she quietly turned and joined the children on the transporter pad.  After a moment, she raised her hand and parted her fingers. He forced a somber smile and returned the farewell. David yearned to accompany his family to their new home on the Tiberius, but his assignment would be taking him somewhere much more treacherous.

Sevryll nodded to the transporter chief and reached down to still her fidgety two-year-olds. As the transporter beams initiated, their daughter's small voice echoed with a ghostly resonance: " see you later alligator..."

As they materialized aboard the Tiberius, the ship's transporter chief replied with a welcoming grin: "After while crocodile." The little girl smiled shyly and looked up at her mother. "Are we there yet?" she whispered.
---------------------------------

Lt. Commander Sevryll
Chief Science Officer
U.S.S. Tiberius
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Four Lights

"Can someone give me a hand with this container?!"

Brex yelled with a distraught look on his face. He was unloading a shipment of food for the briefing off an anti-grav transport unit.

A human male, J'dan ran out from the back of the kitchen.

"Sorry, let me help you with that."

J'dan took the crate from Brex and walked toward the back of the kitchen.

"Thanks! These things must be over 50 kilos."

Brex looked around at the Rec Room. It was smaller then the restaurants he was used to working in on Earth. He had been preparing for this meeting for 3 hours already; he still had two more to go.

"Boss... this box is moving!"

J'dan said with a strange look on his face.

"Of course it is! I wouldn't have paid this much for it if it wasn't."

Brex walked over to the box, and pushed a few buttons. It opened revealing thousands of crawling worms. Brex took one out and dangled it above his head. He dropped it down in to his mouth and started to chew.

"mmmmmm,"

He sighed,

"K'pla!."

He smiled as the J'dan gave him a disgusted look.

"They're alive." J'dan said,

"What are you talking about? Gawk is always best when consumed live!"

"What ever you say, Brex..."

J'dan walked over to the transport unit and started to unload more containers.

"Wow. These are from all parts of the quadrant."

"They better be! It took me forever to get the shipment from Bajor. I need to make a good impression on the crew."

"You're doing a pretty good job already Boss."

"Well I must admit I did get invited to the Poker game on Tuesday night, unfortunately I think I was asked to serve drinks."

"I can help out with that if you want to play a few rounds."

"We will see."

J'dan picked up a small crate that was shipped from Bolius.

"I heard that the ship's counsolor is a Bolian. You know him?"

Brex got a annoyed look on his face.

"Just because he's a Bolian doesn't mean I know him!"

"Sorry Boss, I was just wondering."
"It's ok... just keep on unloading, I need to get some drinks... if you get done soon I will make you a Sumarian Sunrise. I have been needing to catch up on my Synthahol."

"Sure thing!"

J'dan took a box off the pad. It was marked Romulus.

"Uhhhh... I think this is yours..."

Brex nervously laughed and took the box from J'dan.

"J'dan, you never saw anything."

"Saw what boss?"

J'dan smiled.

Brex took a peek into the box and the light exposed 5 bottles of blue fluid. He opened a small compartment behind a replicator and placed the box inside.

Brex walked to the back of the kitchen and pulled out a towel and wiped his brow.

"Today is going to be a long day...I don't know what I am gonna do when I see him," Brex thought to him self.

--------------------------------
Brex
Bartender/Chef
U.S.S. Tiberius
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Spock "Star Trek" 2009

Archangela

Avrik sat down hard in her temporary quarters on the starbase as she said, "Avrik Newol out" to the fading image on her com screen.

Now she has orders, "orders?" to report back to the U.S.S. Tiberius. She was used to being one of many representatives of the JAG office in military dealings. But being the only one surrounded, having to watch and report back on....it was just not comfortable.

So she packed the three cases (one more than standard) "they won't mind", and headed to transport.
"Captain, I protest, I am not a merry man!"

jedijeff

Jack swallowed hard as he stepped off the transporter pad. He croaked out out "Lt junior grade Jack Beyerhon reporting for duty". With an acknowledging nod to the officer behind the transporter controls, he stepped out of the room, and looked at the PADD in his hands with the details on the location of his quarters.

Everything looked so foreign to him, so very different. Jack had been on many Starships before, even worked on parts of the refit for this one, but the thought of his first long term assignment on a Starship had him  a bit overwhelmed. The thought of his first long term mission had him full of doubt, but wonder as well. Looking forward to the potential solitude of space had him intrigued, alone with his thoughts, away from the pressures of family and friends around him. But as well, what will it be like? Jack had heard stories from other officers on his other assignments, but each person had a different story and experience to tell. Will it be like the books and movies he had so come to enjoy and imagine, or will it be different, he was about to find out.

Jack had located his quarters, and promptly started to put his belonging away, and try to make the spartan room look a little more familar to him. After that, Jack decided to make his way to the Mess Hall, to get a piece of pizza, some comfort food, and prepare for his first shift, and the upcoming Captain briefing.

Lt JG Jack Beyerhon

iceman

Having arrived on board a day before everyone else so I could go over medical records and make sure all the crews medical history and vaccinations were up to date. I had finally finished updating the records and calibrating all the medical instruments to my standards.

I assigned the medical supply stock taking to an orderly and would check his progress.

I sent a e-mail to counsellor Margon to set up a meeting to see if their were any crew members whos medical history needed updating and to introduce myself as we would be working together.

I also sent an email to the captain and the chief of security to suggest it might be wise if some crew members had some advanced first aid and field medic training as the medical department is understaffed at the moment and this might come in handy in the future.

I also am preparing for a meeting with the captain at 1400 hrs and am off to the lounge to meet some of the new crew.

I am looking forward to serving as the chief Medical Officer aboard the USS Tiberious.

Dr. Casey Peterson Lt. Cmdr CMO
USS Tiberious

Geekyfanboy

As the turbolift doors closed the Captain said "Ohh & Commander. Poker Tuesday night in the Rec lounge."

Quinn laughed and continued down the hallway heading for his quarters. He had memorized the entire ship layout, so finding his quarters wasn't going to be a problem. As he passed crewmen they would nod and say "Sir" or "Commander", which kind of made Quinn uncomfortable. He was third in command on board the Isannah but here he is First Officer, second in command of a Federation Starship.

He entered his quarters and noticed that his belonging had already been delivered so he decided to unpack his stuff. After unpacking he had several hours till the Captain's briefing so he decided to go over the crews bios once again. He picked up the padd and began to read. As he looked over his chiefs of staff he laughed out loud thinking ::This is going to be one intresting group::

After going over the entire crew list Quinn decided to meditate, it had been several days since he did it last and the voices of the crew were starting to get louder. He sat by a window and started out at the stars. He took several deep breaths. As the voices in his head became silent he focus on his own thoughts. Breathing in and out he started to search the crew. Quinn prided himself on not invading other's thoughts unless absolutely necessary. So he just skimmed over each crewmen on board and felt there state of mind. After an hour of meditation he decided to head to the bridge. He left his quarters and started down the hallway when he bumped into...

Commander Nathan Quinn
First Officer
USS Tiberius

moyer777

With his communication padd beeping at him, Counselor Margon stopped his conversation with a young ensign that was nervous about his first deep space mission.  "Excuse me young man, I need to take this, you'll be fine, let's meet next week after you're settled in"  The ensign acknowleged him and went on his way.

Margon read his e-mail and quickly responded. --

Dear Dr. Peterson,

I reviewed your request and would like to see if you have a few moments after the briefing today.  Most of the crew is in excellent health, there are only a few of them that will need your immediate attention.  In fact you may have a few suggestions for me since this is a very mixed species crew, there are several Klingons and with a Daa'Vit aboard we are bound for conflict.  I am hoping that we can ease tensions and get on with our mission.  By the way, any ideas on what we are in for?  We do have a Vulcan officer with small children on board-Lt. Commander Sevryll, so we will need to discuss her work hours and expectations from the captain, from what I understand she has twins and they are 2 years old.  I'll let you discuss their medical records, while I work with her on the childcare situation, being Vulcan she will no doubt have things figured out logically.  You may want to brief me on any mental health issues that I need to prepare for with the rest of the crew.  I look forward to meeting with you.  I too am looking forward to our journey together. 

Couselor Margon

P.S.  I have something you might enjoy- I found a book about 20th century medical procedures.  I thought you might get a kick out it. I'll make sure and bring it to our meeting.  Would you like to meet in sickbay or just stay a few minutes in the rec room?

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

ryanlb

Ensign Rayne Morgan bolt upright in bed, upon hearing the alarm. Excitement momentarily gripped him as he realized today he'd be boarding the ship that was to be his home for the next while - his first real assignment aboard a starship.

Then his eyes noticed the dark all around him and sought out the clock.  The excitement slipped away rapidly as the desire to sleep until a more reasonable hour enveloped him.  Laying back down, he again wondered if life on a starship would be that much different from his previous assignment on a starbase and wishing he hadn't stayed up so late hanging out with some of the other crew...

...Eyes snapping open 15 minutes later, realizing he'd dozed off -- the will to arrive on the ship with time to start setting up his quarters battling with the will to sleep until the absolute last possible moment -- Rayne succeeds in dragging himself out of bed.

While preparing for the day Rayne tries to recall what he read in the crews' profiles, particularly those of his new boss, Lt. Commander K'arath; the XO, Commander Nathan Quinn; and of course, Captain Gilbert Bell.  Predictably, the most immediately intriguing was his commander, K'arath, though he noted that Commander Quinn has had some dealings with the Borg - he'd have to see if he could find an opportunity to talk with him about that.  He'd never had a real opportunity to get to know a Klingon, and hoped his interest in, and sparse knowledge of their culture wouldn't cause him to offend his superior officer, as he was quite looking forward to working with him.

After a fairly uneventful transport, aside from the above average number of boxes containing the various knick knacks he collected, he began unpacking his stuff, trying to get settled in a bit before making his way to Engineering, wanting to get to know some more of the crew more before the Captain's briefing.
"I won't have this handed to me, it's only worth something if you struggle for it.  Damn it, Bones, I want my pain.  I NEED my pain."
"The fact that you just quoted Star Trek V to me only proves how screwed we are without that money." ~ PVP Online