• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

AUSTIN COMIC CON - 2014

Started by Rico, September 09, 2014, 03:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Doing some prep music video's for tomorrow's big vidcast.

Feathers

I re watched some of the Anomaly report from last years con where they were describing meeting you for the first time and just picking up the conversation from the forum and carrying on in person. Sounds like coolness. This year looks to have been much the same.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Yeah, even more so this year.  Very cool and very fun seeing everyone again.  The year flew by!

Jen

Believe it or not, I'm somewhat shy in person...though I've become rather good at faking the social butterfly thing. It helps when you're friends with a ton of extroverts :D . But I never feel completely comfortable with people I don't know, until I've been around them a few days. That said, it felt like Rico and I had been hanging out for decades. And we have, if you think about it—I was one of the first forum members here and we've been online friends for at least eight or nine years.

This year we all picked up where we left off, just visiting and hanging out like it's something we do every weekend. It was so much fun and I hope that more of you are able to come down in the future. But if you can't, Angela and I have talked about traveling to Dragon Con or Chicago Comic Con in the future... "future" being the operative word here. Hard to get out to these things when you have small children.

I wish David could have come along this year—I think you guys would hit it off, Rico. I like your idea of traveling to Texas a few times when it's not just a convention weekend. And the Star Wars, Episode 7 watching party sounds like a real kick. :D We would love that. I wish all of you could come down.

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Feathers

I would love to (although I mentally stall at the thought of cosplay) but I suspect a new income would be required to cover the international flights :(

It's not quite 'popping down' for a visit from here.

Bromptonboy

Feathers did your Philadelphia trip fall through?  We might be able to convince Rico to come with a business trip to his office here if you make it over.  Jobydrone is local as well.  :)
Pete

Feathers

Yeah, that fell apart pretty rapidly after I mentioned it here. I guess there's still a chance since we're still working with the same company a lot (they're all over here this week) but that's been true for most of the last 8 years so I'm not holding my breath.

Rico

Quote from: Jen on October 13, 2014, 07:24:09 AM
Believe it or not, I'm somewhat shy in person...though I've become rather good at faking the social butterfly thing. It helps when you're friends with a ton of extroverts :D . But I never feel completely comfortable with people I don't know, until I've been around them a few days. That said, it felt like Rico and I had been hanging out for decades. And we have, if you think about it—I was one of the first forum members here and we've been online friends for at least eight or nine years.

This year we all picked up where we left off, just visiting and hanging out like it's something we do every weekend. It was so much fun and I hope that more of you are able to come down in the future. But if you can't, Angela and I have talked about traveling to Dragon Con or Chicago Comic Con in the future... "future" being the operative word here. Hard to get out to these things when you have small children.

I wish David could have come along this year—I think you guys would hit it off, Rico. I like your idea of traveling to Texas a few times when it's not just a convention weekend. And the Star Wars, Episode 7 watching party sounds like a real kick. :D We would love that. I wish all of you could come down.

It was really nice being down in Texas once again and visiting with you Jen and everyone else.  I think we are very much alike the more I get to know you.  I was really shy in school until about senior year in high school and started to be more out going but even now it's something I have to work at a little bit at times (but podcasting has certainly helped as well as the work I do for a living).  But, one thing about being at a con and especially in costume is it allows you to sort of be another person - sort of your alter ego in a way.  And that is a lot of fun!

I'm definitely trying to figure out a way to come down for some long weekend at some point in time in the near future and just hang out with all of you.  I'd love to meet David and Aaron too - and see the others as well.  Con weekend's just go by too fast.  But, it was a very good time again and I'm very glad I made the return trip down this year too.

Rico

Couple pics for you. One of my tired Anomaly friends near the end of con and the other to thank Jen & Angela for helping ship my trusty shooting iron back up to me. :)

Ktrek

Depending on the time of year I could probably make it down from Denton easy enough. The Austin Comic Con comes at a bad time for me. I could probably get down Jen's way anytime from January to July. So, if you are heading down for a long weekend Rico let me know and I'll see if I can get some extra time off. I'd love to meet Jen, Angela and the guys as well.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Bromptonboy

Hmm, International Meet-Up in the offing?  I recall in another podcast I used to listen to - Galacticwatercooler - they started having annual meetups.  People would fly in (to texas) from all over for these meetups.  They looked like a lot of fun.
Pete

Rico

New music video I just finished up featuring a montage of stuff from Austin Comic Con 2014. Enjoy!   :biggrin

Austin 2014 Comic Con Montage on Vimeo

Rico

Wizard World is having a contest to win a year pass to all their cons in 2015. I entered this picture below. Click the link below and vote!

P.S. I feel like I cheated a little by using our group pose, but I just love this set of pics!

http://woobox.com/ameq8i/vote/for/5069379

Rico

Another music video from my collection that I made for the vidcast.

Austin 2014 Comic Con - Perfect Day on Vimeo

Bromptonboy

I think you should put your duels down to the rumble sound track from West Side Story.  :)
Pete