Star Wars unaltered OT release potential news..

Started by Bryancd, July 21, 2013, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

I would be very surprised if they can and do make it happen but here is the latest.

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Rumor_Disney_Mulling_New_Release_Of_Unaltered_Original_Trilogy_153321.asp

writerinthewild

That would be totally awesome in my view. I still have the original originals on VHS, but haven't owned a VCR in years. I watched the digitally altered original trilogy on Blue-Ray last week, and I just can't get over the changes. They drive me nuts!
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo

writerinthewild

P.S. - Really looking forward to seeing Han gun down Greedo in cold blood again.. haha.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo

Dangelus

Meds

I have the VHS versions as well. Would love a good transfer, I watch the 'original' cut the other day on DVD (you know the one on the second disc) but it needs a good clean.

The updated versions are terrible, you can tell its all pasted on. Plus I'd love all the classic films nicely cleaned and un-tampered (no Hayden in Jedi please)

Rico

This eventually will happen.  If there is money to be made, these will get released at some point.  If the rights thing gets worked out for Ep. IV, the best time to have these come out would be just before Episode VII arrives.

Meds

Yeah marketing wise and I'm sure Bry will agree getting the classics out to run up would make huge bucks. I would buy them and I do t own the Blu-Ray releases. I think played right Disney pockets will end up being even larger and I wish I had the cash to have bought a few shares lol.

Bryancd

Quote from: Meds on July 22, 2013, 08:12:01 AM
Yeah marketing wise and I'm sure Bry will agree getting the classics out to run up would make huge bucks. I would buy them and I do t own the Blu-Ray releases. I think played right Disney pockets will end up being even larger and I wish I had the cash to have bought a few shares lol.

:) No doubt there is a built in market for these, the only issue beyond the right issue for Ep. IV is which versions would they release? They have already done the Laser disc version on DVD of the OT pre-special editions but I think fans want the ORIGINAL theatrical prints.

Meds

So do Disney not own the rights for the entire Star Wars franchise or just segments of it?

ChrisMC

Quote from: Bryancd on July 22, 2013, 08:17:22 AM

:) No doubt there is a built in market for these, the only issue beyond the right issue for Ep. IV is which versions would they release? They have already done the Laser disc version on DVD of the OT pre-special editions but I think fans want the ORIGINAL theatrical prints.

How about do what they did with Jaws last year and restore the original prints, treat them like the classics they were before the Soecial Editions.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bryancd

Quote from: Meds on July 22, 2013, 08:21:29 AM
So do Disney not own the rights for the entire Star Wars franchise or just segments of it?

Fox own the distribution rights for ANH in perpetuity.

Bryancd

The fact is that the OOT exists only in film form. It has never had a digital conversion, so the amount of work to bring it to a HD format is considerable. And so the question is what is the cost and then how broad is the market for this content? We can appreciate it's value but does the general public? Are people in general, the casual fan, really clamoring for the OOT on disc?

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Meds on July 22, 2013, 02:27:23 AM
I have the VHS versions as well. Would love a good transfer, I watch the 'original' cut the other day on DVD (you know the one on the second disc) but it needs a good clean.

The updated versions are terrible, you can tell its all pasted on. Plus I'd love all the classic films nicely cleaned and un-tampered (no Hayden in Jedi please)
Ditto on removing Hayden!
Pete

Dangelus

To be honest, although I'd welcome the release of the OOT it would be more to stick two fingers up at Lucas for his ludicrous comments that they no longer existed.  I am much more excited in the work being done by the Revisited project and the upcoming release of ESB.

The OT had many technical errors that they are correcting and tasteful and subtle replacement CGI, model and live action work that I'm really excited about.

ChrisMC

Quote from: Bryancd on July 22, 2013, 09:36:01 AM
The fact is that the OOT exists only in film form. It has never had a digital conversion, so the amount of work to bring it to a HD format is considerable. And so the question is what is the cost and then how broad is the market for this content? We can appreciate it's value but does the general public? Are people in general, the casual fan, really clamoring for the OOT on disc?
OK, but that's what they use to restore these movies, the original negative. I think the market is there, all you have to do is tell rolls over and over its the original trilogy the way you remember it! People buy Star Wars, they just do. I know a ton of non-geeky types who bought the last release "just to have it". Market it right and it will sell. Link it to the sequels' ramp up.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/