• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Toronto Flood

Started by iceman, July 09, 2013, 05:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

I26 mm of Rain fell at Pearson  It took my wife 4 hrs to get home from etobicoke north subway station as the underpass was under water and still is this morning.

The marine unit was called in to rescue people off the go train as the lower level was under 4ft of water. 300 000 people were without water from scarborough, etobicoke, north York and Mississauga had 80 percent of its population with out power for a time. Needless to say she did not go into work today as she could not get to the go station or subway as all the underpasses were underwater.

billybob476

Yeah, I'm in South Etobicoke, right by Long Branch GO station. We lost power from 6pm to 2am. Long Branch flooded but we're at least 10 feet higher then the train station and about 1km north so no flooding for us.

I take the 427 home from work, I got through about 30 mins before they closed it due to flooding as did my wife. Visibility wasn't great at times on the drive home and I occasionally plowed through a few inches of water but no biggie. We spent the evening BBQing in the rain and listening to the AM radio (3G was very janky and I was trying to conserve iPhone power)

Here's some pics of the GO train: http://www.thestar.com/photos/2013/07/08/flooded_train_rescue.html

Bromptonboy

Wow!  Well at least you are not in that town in Quebec where the train blew up.
Pete

billybob476

My wife went to University near there, that is a tragedy, this is just an inconvenience.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: billybob476 on July 09, 2013, 06:59:15 AM
My wife went to University near there, that is a tragedy, this is just an inconvenience.
It is just unbelievable.  Like a small nuke going off in the middle of a town.  Those poor people.  I imagine it has to be a Francophone area?
Pete

billybob476

I believe it is francophone but it's hard to tell in the townships sometimes. One town is french and the next one over is English. It's also quite close to the Maine border.

article and pics: http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/07/08/before-and-after-photos-show-how-train-explosion-flattened-lac-megantics-bustling-downtown-core/

Been a crazy week. 777 crash at SFO, Lac Megantic train disaster, very bad flooding in Alberta last week...

Bromptonboy

Those pictures are unbelievable. 
Pete

bevs_plaything

Best wishes to those affected by the floods and train in Canada. Guess who's flying into Toronto in under 2 weeks! 

jedijeff

The Flooding in Canada this season so far has been quite a story. Calgary and Southern Alberta was really hit hard, my Sister and her family live in Calgary, and moved to be closer to the city centre, but fortunately they are on Higher ground and not in an area that flooded. Even in Edmonton, where I live, we had a rain storm the following week, that flooded out some underpasses on one of our major roads. The flooding in Toronto looked pretty incredible as well, hopefully that is the last of large flooding for awhile.

WillEagle

Wow! Be safe up there my friends.