• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

"Dexter" - season 8

Started by Rico, May 19, 2013, 06:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Well, the last season of one of my favorite series premieres on June 30th.  This looks to be a huge season for the last one of Dexter.  I hope they really pull out all the stops and go out big.  Preview trailer below.  Warning - this trailer spoils some thing that have happened in previous seasons (especially last season) so don't watch it unless you want to be spoiled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ckzE5vT0wc#ws

Rico

Cool start for the season.  I'm liking it a lot so far after just one episode.  Anyone else watching?

ChrisMC

Yeah, it's going to be very dark. I feel bad for Deb.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Quote from: ChrisMC on July 01, 2013, 04:28:17 PM
Yeah, it's going to be very dark. I feel bad for Deb.

Yeah.  She's messed up.  But I do like Deb's bank account password.  LOL!  :)

ChrisMC

Yeah, it's pretty good. Just changed my TISF password......

ChrisMC

Solid episode.  The drama is really pumped up this final season. And Deb...WTF?? From the looks of next weeks preview, she's gonna be a liability!

Jobydrone

I'm really excited about this season. Sad to see Dex go when this is all over. After the season six debacle i was worried about the future of this show which has always been one of my favorites. But things turned around nicely last year and this final season is off to an amazing start.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jobydrone

A little off topic, but I've been using the Xfinity Player app for iOS to watch Dexter. They've recently added a download feature that allows you to download up to ten shows or movies at a time and then watch offline. This is perfect for my WiFi only iPad, since I can't stream through their app away from home.  Woke up this morning, downloaded the show, watched on the train on my way to work this morning. Such a great feature!  So far you can download from Showtime, Starz, and Encore, and I think some basic channels.  HBO and Cinemax are holding out and not allowing their stuff to use the feature.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

ChrisMC

That's because HBO wants you to use HBOGo, which is a really great app.

Yes, this season seems more focused, obviously. Sorry to see the show go, but I'd rather it go out now than get just awful.

Rico

Good episode this week.  Season is off to a very strong start.

[spoiler]Ok, who is suspecting the old psychologist lady might really be the brain scooper killer?  It seems pretty obvious - maybe too obvious.  Also, are they really leading up to Dex maybe having to kill Debra??[/spoiler]

ChrisMC

Quote from: Rico on July 08, 2013, 04:08:40 PM
Good episode this week.  Season is off to a very strong start.

[spoiler]Ok, who is suspecting the old psychologist lady might really be the brain scooper killer?  It seems pretty obvious - maybe too obvious.  Also, are they really leading up to Dex maybe having to kill Debra??[/spoiler]
Yeah, that's too obvious, if that's the case....I will lose a bunch of faith in the show. And I thought the same thing from the preview Rico...don't do it Dex!

Rico

I didn't watch the next week preview.  I always think they show too much.  But it was pretty obvious from the rest of the episode.

Rico

Well, Dexter the series is now over.  I'm certainly going to miss my favorite serial killer.  I was pretty ok with the last episode.  Big spoilers ahead...

[spoiler]I think the last episode pretty much worked.  I was sad about Deb and I'll admit I really wanted Dexter to have a chance to be happy and have a normal life.  But I guess given who he is that isn't meant to be.  I'm glad they left the door open for a return.  Give it a few years and then lets get a big screen Dexter movie!  YEAH![/spoiler]

Jobydrone

I try not to base my opinions of this kind of entertainment on what it could have been, and really do try to take things at face value, but when I think about Dexter with the hindsight of the full series behind us now, I can't help but mourn the missed opportunity of what could have been. I think the show suffered a steady decline in quality, most markedly after season four which was the peak, and never really reached the potential it had to be truly great. As dumb as they were sometimes, and almost inexplicably obtuse, I really did love some of the characters in this show, especially Batista, Masuka, and Deb.  To me it's really upsetting that they did nothing with any of them except use them to serve whatever silly plot needs each week's particular story required. Over time as I lost patience with this show (but still had to keep watching) every silly implausibility became more and more hard to take. Like how Dexter can walk out the front doors of police stations and hospitals carrying dead bodies and not get caught on camera or even red handed by someone strolling by. Or that over the course of the series Dexter's wife, girlfriend, neighbor, boss, sister, intern, coworkers, and more people close to him all are victims of murder or disappear mysteriously and nobody ever even considers him as a suspect.  I'm not a writer, and I'm not saying I could have done any better, but I know in my heart that there were much better stories in these characters that we're never realized in this series. 

Rico

I respect your opinion Joby, even if I don't agree with much of it.  I think the show had to shift in tone around the point after season 4 and I know some people didn't care for that.  Michael C. Hall did a great interview on "The Nerdist" podcast recently where he talks a bit about that (he's really funny too).  Dexter was a suspect several times and quite a few people learned about him over the course of the series.  The show is called Dexter so it always will focus on him - it's told from his perspective.  But I think they did quite a bit with the other characters - especially Deb.  Same thing that happens in Trek and other shows, there are always going to be lead characters that get the most attention.  Overall, I loved the character and the series.