• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Boston bombings

Started by Rico, April 16, 2013, 08:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

I thought maybe we could all use a place to talk about this a little.  I know it seems to still be raw and shocking that a person or more likely people can do such things.  I know people sometimes will say, "what's wrong with the world?"  But, always keep in mind that incidents like this are done by a selct few nut jobs.  99.99999% of the people on this planet are good people.  I like a lot what actor/comedian Patton Oswalt wrote about this on his Facebook page.  It's exactly how I feel about it all.

I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

https://www.facebook.com/pattonoswalt?fref=ts

WillEagle

This was terrible. Senseless stupidity is what I say. But is is very true that there are many, many more good folks than bad. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those victims, their families and the ones helping them.

Bryancd

Yeah, I had many friends racing this year, all of whom are fine but it was a very scary day for them and their families there supporting them. I ran the race in 2008 and having gone to college in Boston, the race holds special meaning for me.

Praxis

Thanks for posting this.

billybob476

It's awful. Everyone has been coming to me today asking if I'll still be running races in Toronto this summer. Of course I will.

jedijeff

Sad news indeed, terrible to hear all the damage inflicted on innocent people.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: billybob476 on April 16, 2013, 11:20:12 AM
It's awful. Everyone has been coming to me today asking if I'll still be running races in Toronto this summer. Of course I will.

I can't believe anyone would ask that, but my response would always be yes. You don't quit living just because one person tried to ruin it. Otherwise, they win.
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Meds

I think I have said this before but as some of you know I hail from a city that was targeted with bombs in the early 70's and of course the UK has been attacked many time from the late 60's to the late 90's by the IRA. That threat will always be there, it will never be forgotten and it is and will always be raw. But.. they never stopped us going to the pubs they targeted, the hotels we stay and the transport we use.

Earlier I read the horrific news of the death of a 8 year old boy who was cheering the runners, I can;t even say how awful that feels to know a young lad has lost his life to these people. 

The video I saw on the news was terrible, but in that mayhem i saw two runners who stood out. One a older man who was blown to the floor but was helped up and carried on to the finish line, the other a woman who just looked at her timer and finished. Yes I know its adrenalin and pre-shock but to me it also shows a sense of never giving up.

Our thoughts as always go out to all the victims, family and of course our American friends all over.

X

Well, I thought that I would add a few things since I'm living here. I really don't know what the goal of the bombs were, but if it was to inspire terror, that hasn't happened much at all. The people here are a bit more reflective, but no one has huddled in the shadows in terror. For pretty much everyone I know here, it's been business as usual. This isn't the first time that a terror attack has affected Boston, but the people are resilient. Thoughts and prayers are going out to those that were hurt and their families, but for the most part, people are reserving their anger and waiting for answers.

I think that this is pretty much where a majority of the city is. We want to know who and why, but we're not letting this get in the way of living.

I would honestly say that I've seen more anger and pain from people on the television than I have in the city at all. People here are amazing in how they aren't going to let this attack put a stop to the act of living.

We are mourning and we have been wounded. People are hurt and dead, but we are not afraid. We are not letting the perpetrator(s) have that victory. We are weary and wary, but we are not beaten or broken.

ElfManDan

I think it's just such a horrible thing, why anybody for would do it, for whatever reason is just horrible. To hurt people and cause pain at an event that is valued for human triumph. It isn't about politics or religion (which are horrible also when it is), but to cause pain like this for no obvious reason. I just wonder what kind of person does that, what's wrong with a person who could do that?

My prayers definitely go to the people and families of those hurt and killed. Such a tragic and horrible event.

fatfather_2005

what happened in boston is horrible. of course our prayers are with all the people who this event touched. the one thing that keeps running thru my mind, is that more people weren't killed. i know the injuries are bad, but they are breathing. i think if this thing went off earlier, i think more would have died.
i am not going to even try to understand why these things are done.
boston , we ( the country) are behind you.
In the Absense of Light, the Darkness Prevails.