• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

iPhone 5S/6?

Started by KingIsaacLinksr, April 04, 2013, 12:07:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feathers

We're much the same. Eldest got a cheap phone initially but now we're onto the middle one, he got a recycled Android device. Sadly for him I knocked out the internet to avoid data charges though.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bromptonboy

My daughter would be ok with a smarth phone, but my son would do nothing but game on it - and we have to make sure he stays focused on school work, etc.
Pete

Bromptonboy

My wife's new iPhone 6 (16GB) will be here by Wednesday.  :)
Pete

moyer777

Mine is supposed to be here on the Monday.. then Amy's a week later... ugh.. I am so excited!!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bromptonboy

Cool - anxious for your thoughts on the phone.  I won't get my 6 plus until 11/20 at the earliest.
Pete

moyer777

OK, I'm all set up with amy on our new iPhone 6 plus phones.  SO FAR... AMAZING.  So big, so cool.  Love the speed and ease of set up.  The camera is AMAZING.  Going to try using just the phone, no iPad for my radio program tomorrow.  I will give it the big test.  Oh the battery is so much better than my 4s.  Didn't have to charge it all day yesterday.   I will report more later.  heading in to do the next few days of my radio show.  WOO HOOOOOO!

Bromptonboy

Cool!  I can't wait to get mine.  It should ship by the end of the month.  My wife has her 6 - which she really loves - and I am getting the 6 Plus.  We are both going from regular iPhone 4 - no S on the end.  They are so slowwwwww.
Pete

Ktrek

Quote from: Ktrek on September 18, 2014, 06:54:28 PM
Well guys I got to play with a new 6 today and I have to say it's a very nice phone. I really like the design and thinness of it. The OS is really smooth and fast. I haven't gotten a chance to try the camera yet. I hope to do some test prints tomorrow with the demo unit. I think that most IPhone fans that want a larger screen will like this latest edition to the Apple family. Even though I would never buy one I still give it two thumbs up.

Kevin

Only quoting myself because I wanted to follow up on the camera. After having seen at least 1000 photos taken with the 6 and 6plus I have to say in all honesty that the camera is not as good as the Samsung Galaxy S5, nor an improvement over the Iphone 5s. I don't understand why Apple does not invest more into their camera technology. I guess they just don't think it's very important. The pictures look great on the phone's screen no doubt, and even on a PC, but printed? NOPE! Lots of pixelation and color bleed and light refraction. I would never advise anyone to print an Iphone 6 picture on anything larger than an 8X10, and the conditions better be ideal. Never on textured products like canvas prints at all unless you just enjoy looking at pixelation exaggerated by the texture. I do like how the camera operates though as it's easy to use, but Samsung still wins by building in more functionality and a better lense. I will admit that the operating system on the 6 and 6 plus is really well done and I have to say they have Android beat on creating an OS that has few glitches. Remember guys this is what I do for a living and I literally see hundreds of pictures from phones every day. I can't wait to see Samsung's next Galaxy S6 model because rumours are that the camera is going to be even better than the 5. I'll probably be getting one when it comes out. I've been due for an upgrade now for well over a year. I may even upgrade my wife if she likes it, and wants one. She came really close to getting a 6 plus until she got a Galaxy Note 4 in her hand and she said there was no comparison outside of screen size. The Note won hands down for her. She's just not willing to shove out $300.00 for a the Note 4. Maybe by the time the S6 comes out the Note 4 will be down to $200 and she'll change her mind.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Jobydrone

I've had my 6 Plus for a couple days now...yes I pulled the trigger...and I LOVE IT.  On the day my upgrade eligibility began, I saw they had some 128 gigs available at the Apple store at the mall near me.  I dropped the kids off at home after work, got to the mall at six, and saw a long line of about 30 people in front of the store.  Going in, I registered with a greeter, told them what I wanted, and after they checked availability was given a reservation and sent to the back of the line.  About an hour later, having not moved more than an inch, a "genius" came out and told everyone behind me that due to the store closing nobody who was in line behind me would be able to have their reservations honored.  Much anger and frustration ensued, and people refused to leave.  The "genius" said they were welcome to wait but nobody was guaranteed to be waited on behind me.  True to form, I was ushered into the store five minutes before closing time (after waiting three hours).  I got my phone though, so although I felt sorry for the people behind me I was ultimately okay with how it turned out for me :)

There are really only two major differences for me, upgrading from an iPhone 5, obviously first and most major the screen size, and then the addition of touch ID makes turning on and unlocking the phone from sleep mode a real pleasure.  Many of my regular go-to apps have not been updated yet, and I've noticed some stuttering and performance issues but nothing major.  I haven't noticed much of an improvement in speed or basic functionality over the 5...but boy that screen is a game changer.  Watching video, reading, web browsing, all are so much better and easier on my middle aged eyes.

I had a very interesting conversation with the "genius" as she processed my upgrade.  She told me that a major reason why the stores sell out of phones so quickly right now (generally the day they come in on the trucks since release) is because there are consortiums of buyers from countries that restrict their networks (countries like China) who pay people in the US to buy up as many phones as possible from the US stores and ship them to these countries where customers can only buy phones with restrictions on the network, app stores and other features, and then resell them at a hugely marked up price, double or triple the cost of the unlocked base price.  So these "mules" are buying two phones at a time (the maximum one person can buy during one transaction), getting back in line, buying more, all day long until the phones are sold out.  Apple had a policy which was meant to restrict this practice by limiting the number of phones people could buy in one day, but they have lifted this restriction during the sales of the 6 and 6 plus.  So I was told that a vast majority of the phones coming in to the Apple stores are shipped overseas for people that want and are willing to pay a huge premium for full, unfettered and unrestricted access to the iPhone as opposed to whatever limited functionality is available to them through the phones on sale in their own stores.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bromptonboy

Wow, you paid it forward for that phone!  I can't wait to stop using my sluggish iPhone 4 - and get a decent screen.  The screen size change will be dramatic for me.  I don't even have Siri on my phone.
Pete

moyer777

I'm still digging this...  oh man... so nice and fast and bright.  Battery life is rocking.  I used garage band a bunch last night and finally got the battery down to 10 %.  That is with it not being plugged in since 7 a.m.

Bromptonboy

How do you carry it around?  Did you get a belt clip or pouch of some sort?
Pete

Jobydrone

I got a wallet case similar to what I had on my smaller phone.  Six bucks on Amazon, keeps my train pass and work ID handy along with a folded up emergency $20, and keeps the screen protected in my pocket.  I was paranoid as heck that I was going to drop it the first two days until I got the case...the thing is so light and smooth without it.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

moyer777

I got a $15 case off of Amazon... I ordered Amy a Griffin Survivor case that should be here on Monday.  she drops hers all the time...

Bromptonboy

I'll probably get one of the belt pouches.
Pete