• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Started by Rico, November 10, 2012, 05:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedijeff

Just a few more thoughts regarding the Force Awakens.

[spoiler]With Rey, I think I am really up in the air about who her lineage is. I think it could be just about anyone. But I do think now she was trained as a Jedi at one point, and by Luke. I think there were 3 clues to find Luke (Maybe the 3 bloody finger prints on Finns helmet at the start was the director giving a nod to it). One was the partial map that was held in R2, the second was the piece of the map given to the resistance that BB8 was carrying. The Third would be the image of the Island in the ocean that Rey had. Kylo sensed that, and even with the other two peices the droids had, Rey would have been the one who would have that final piece of information on where on the planet Luke would be. That might be the reason why Rey was chosen to search for Luke at the end, and they just implied that instead of coming out and saying she was holding the last piece of information. Also with R2, earlier BB8 had tried to communicate with him, but R2 was still shut down. BB8 was saying R2 had the rest of the map, which then C3PO said was rubbish basically. My feeling, the only reason why R2 did not awaken then, was that Rey was not yet there. Once she arrived, maybe through the force, or Luke or maybe R2 was just programmed to start up when he sensed Rey. That may have been Lukes plan all along, was he would hide these pieces to where he was, and essentially when all these came together, it was time for him to be found. Maybe when Rey was dropped off on Jakku, at that time the map was left with Lor San Tekka, and maybe Luke then communicated through the force to him to reveal the map. They do state Lor San Tekka was a follower of the Church of the Force, so  possibly a person with Force abilities, but not a Jedi.

A few other things as well, When Han mentioned that Luke disappeared, Rey knew about the Jedi Temple, which was odd since earlier, she only thought Luke was a myth. As well, after her vision in Maz's castle, when Maz told Rey no one was coming back and she needed to look ahead, Rey said Lukes name.

I wonder after BB8 analyzed the map data, if he knew that Rey held part of the details, like he knew R2 had the other. Maybe when Luke created that piece of Data, it also held information about the others who had the other pieces. It did seem that at a certain point of the movie, that BB8 never really left Rey unless he was told to. On Takodano, he followed Rey to Maz's basement where she had the vision, and then after he followed her out to the forest when she was running away. Possibly because he knew she also held information, and did not want to be separated. I will take their meeting on Jakku as fate or destiny, and him staying with her at first more being a scared droid looking for someone to look out for him. Also after a bit of back and forth between Finn and BB8, BB8 did give up the location of the Resistance base, maybe because at that point he knew Rey was part of puzzle to finding Luke. As well, when she asked him to display the map, he did.

With that in mind, when I watched the end scene, I got the sense through the different emotions on Rey and Lukes face, that they were communicating which each other through the Force, and sharing some of the pain of events between them. It seems the last emotion on Reys face after what looked like pain was more of someone coming to peace with some knowledge they have found, possibly a purpose. Luke also looked to be going through some emotions, which I assume would be of learning of Hans death and maybe some of the other tragedies, but also a look that it might be ready for him to return, and time for Rey to take her next steps to becoming a Jedi. Maybe here bringing out the Lightsaber was signifying it was time for her training, or return of Jedi's to the galaxy.

In Terms of Stormtroopers and Finn. At the start of the movie when they raid Jakku, the trooper that is killed is known as slip, who had trained with Finn, and was basically a stormtrooper that was not as good as the rest. The one he had the showdown with on Takodana, was known as Nines, another one Finn trained with. This was covered off in the book Before the Awakening, so that was the reason why Finn was called a traitor, and the Stormtrooper recognized him.[/spoiler]

Rico

Good stuff Jeff and interesting theories.  Lots of stuff to think about and consider before Ep. VIII in May of 2017.

jedijeff

Quote from: Rico on January 10, 2016, 11:48:25 AM
Good stuff Jeff and interesting theories.  Lots of stuff to think about and consider before Ep. VIII in May of 2017.

Yeah there certainly is. I really need to read the novelization as well. Went and saw the movie again today with my Wife and Niece. The last two viewings were in non 3D, and even though I like 3D, I do find the standard movies seem easier for me to follow, as I am not as distracted as much.
[spoiler]With Max Von Sydows character, I still find him a bit of a Mystery. Somehow I got the sense that he possibly may have either been an Imperial or Part of the First Order at some point and then chose a more peaceful life. The statement about making things right, his familiarity with Luke, Leia, Kylo and their family history, that there is some history there. But I get the feeling that it may have been a more adversarial history. Since he is living in a village with a bunch of others who are members of the Church of the Force, that he was a person with a bad past, now converted, and that the name Lor San Tekka was a name he had taken when converting to this Church. As well, not a jedi, but someone with some sort of connection to the force.
As well, I noticed, when Finn stepped into battle, and after his fellow trooper was killed, there was that moment when he became aware. The view quickly flashed a few times, and a few thump sounds that coincided with it. Got me to wondering if Lor San Tekka being aware that he was not going to make it out of this assault, possibly passed something to Finn through the force. Something held on a subconscious level, that might come up in a future movie. When Kylo was leaving after, their was that moment he looked over at Finn, and looked like he may have sensed something. As well, Kylo seemed very much aware of Finn afterwards when they were discussing Poe's escape. If some sort of memory got passed to Finn (Sort of Like Spock passing McCoy his Katra), was it because Lor San Tekka had sensed out the troopers, and Finn was a good candidate? Possibly he has some sort of small force ability, the sense that he was not as conditioned as the other Stormtroopers, or just Random.
I paid attention to Finn for the rest of the movie, but really did not notice anything in regards to his characters behavior that I felt was not in line with what I expected him to be. Just that small little moment, and Kylo having the double take caught my attention. Maybe it was nothing more then Finn coming to his realization he could not be a Stormtrooper. But something I will pay attention to in the following movies to see if there was anything planted.

Update - After referencing the visual dictionary, Lor San Tekka is not force sensitive. So my theory that he possibly passed something to Finn is not correct. As well, his history seems to be one of an explorer with ties to the New Republic, so I guess that is where the relationship to Luke and Leia comes from. [/spoiler]

jedijeff

One more thought based off my previous thought, that I later felt was incorrect

[spoiler]Did Obi-Wan give Finn a nudge in the force? At the start when the attack on the village occured. The moment had the quick visual flash and the sound almost might be a bit reminiscent of the force sound that we heard when Vader used it in ANH to choke Motti, just longer and more intense.
In ANH - Obi- Wan to Vader, Strike me down I become more powerful the you can imagine
Obi-Wan to Luke when he was passing up on his call "You must do what you feel is right, of course."
Finn has some sort of moment of awareness or realization
Kylo looked at Finn and sensed something
When Finn helps Poe escape, he asks why he did it, Finn replies it is the right thing to do
Was the Spirit of Obi-Wan present in the settlement, which are followers of the Church of the Force?
Is the spirit of Obi-Wan looking over Rey, knowing at somepoint she will have a call to action.
Luke has had visions of the Future, did he know the time when Rey would be ready to start this journey, and the Spirit of Obi-Wan is looking over her for Luke since he cannot be there?
Could be argued that Finn spent a good part of the movie wanting to escape the First Order, but in the end he always followed what he felt was right. So was Finn either destined for this, due to his good nature, or Obi-Wans spirit sensed he was not fully conditioned like the other troopers, and was the one to give him the nudge?[/spoiler]

turtlesrock

I just saw it for the second time! The first time around it was struggling to keep all the characters straight. The second time went much more smoothly. Anyone who is still debating whether to watch it twice or not, I highly recommend it!

WillEagle

I wanted to see it again but never got too. At this point I'll probably just wait for the blu ray.

WillEagle

Most of you may not know this but Disney is releasing Star Wars: The Force Awakens for me on my birthday!!! April 5 is the day! Thank you Disney for a great birthday present.

Kidding aside it is being released on April 5 and so far I have seen a few covers and the Steelbook which I didn't care for the cover on it. I believe that is a BestBuy only release. Also there is a cover of BB8 and the standard movie poster version. Of course some of these may not be final but they are on the websites with those covers. Trish really liked the BB8 but I think I want the regular cover. It is my birthday so I should get to pick! So I'll probably pick the BB8 one. lol When it comes down to it I just want to watch the movie again so I really don't care that much what the cover is!
May The Force Be With You.

jedijeff

I think I am leaning towards the Bestbuy version as well, since we don't have Target in Canada anymore. The Disney Store has an exclusive with Lithographs, I will have to go to one of our local ones to see if I could preorder it there, so if I can, I might go with that then.

X

I bought mine on digital the day the movie was released. I'm just waiting until the first to download it.

WillEagle

Quote from: jedijeff on March 12, 2016, 07:28:09 AM
I think I am leaning towards the Bestbuy version as well, since we don't have Target in Canada anymore. The Disney Store has an exclusive with Lithographs, I will have to go to one of our local ones to see if I could preorder it there, so if I can, I might go with that then.
I don't think there is a Disney Store even in Columbus. I will have to look it up. Getting the exclusive would be cool.

Quote from: X on March 12, 2016, 08:39:38 AM
I bought mine on digital the day the movie was released. I'm just waiting until the first to download it.
The sooner the better but I'll wait for a Blu-ray that should have the digital with it. So X you will probably watch it 12 times before I get to see it again!

WillEagle

Trish did bring this home for me on my birthday!! She got me the Steelbook version from BestBuy!! Guess what I'm watching tonight!!

Rico

Quote from: WillEagle on April 05, 2016, 02:17:36 PM
Trish did bring this home for me on my birthday!! She got me the Steelbook version from BestBuy!! Guess what I'm watching tonight!!

I got the Steelbook too because I like the packaging.  Going to get the Target one too.

jedijeff

I got the Walmart Version with the BB-8 Cover. I was thinking of the Steelbook version, but I needed to get some groceries as well, and did not want to make two stops. As well, I was worried if I got the Steelbook version, it might open the door to me wanting to get more of them... So I felt maybe best to steer myself away from it.

I watched the Movie last night, plus a majority of the Bonus features. The deleted scenes were ok, I thought the X-Wings taking off were cool, so not sure why that got the cut, as it was just a short little scene. The Snow Chase was cool as well, though must have got cut early on, as it looked like it needed some more work on the effects. Kylo in the Falcon was cool as well, but I can see why they dropped that, as it might have lessened the scene with Kylo and Han later.

I am getting the feeling this will not be the last release of this movie I will be buying.

WillEagle

Quote from: jedijeff on April 06, 2016, 06:20:39 PM
I got the Walmart Version with the BB-8 Cover. I was thinking of the Steelbook version, but I needed to get some groceries as well, and did not want to make two stops. As well, I was worried if I got the Steelbook version, it might open the door to me wanting to get more of them... So I felt maybe best to steer myself away from it.

I watched the Movie last night, plus a majority of the Bonus features. The deleted scenes were ok, I thought the X-Wings taking off were cool, so not sure why that got the cut, as it was just a short little scene. The Snow Chase was cool as well, though must have got cut early on, as it looked like it needed some more work on the effects. Kylo in the Falcon was cool as well, but I can see why they dropped that, as it might have lessened the scene with Kylo and Han later.

I am getting the feeling this will not be the last release of this movie I will be buying.

I know what you mean, jedijeff and Rico. That Target one looks cool.