• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Started by Rico, November 10, 2012, 05:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Thought I would start the thread for the official facts for this new film.  And now, we have the first of these facts.  Oscar winning screenwriter Michael Arndt has been chosen to write the film.  I think this is a very good choice based on his past body of work (plus he is a fan of Star Wars too).  Story and a link to his IMDB page below.

Following yesterday's report that claimed Michael Arndt had provided an extensive treatment for the upcoming Star Wars: Episode VII, comes official word not only of Arndt's involvement, but of the fact that he will be providing the full screenplay for the highly anticipated 2015 release.

Arndt, who also wrote Little Miss Sunshine (winning him an Academy Award) and the upcoming Oblivion and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, is a noted fan of George Lucas's seminal film series and has publicly lectured about their merits.

Still not confirmed, however, is the rumor that Arndt's treatment includes the characters of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo. That being said, recent news suggests that, if the rumor does pan out, it's very likely that Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford will return to their respective roles.

Star Wars: Episode VII will see a release in 2015. Check back for more details as they become available.

Source:  http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96885

Writer:  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1578335/

Film:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2488496/

WillEagle

I was just over at IMBD before checking out the forum and I was reading about Arndt. He seems to have a pretty good track record so it should turn out ok. And I would love to see Luke, Leia and Han. Mostly Han to be perfectly honest as he is my favorite Star Wars character. And of course how awesome would it be to see the Falcon again on the big screen!

Bryancd

I thought "Little Miss Sunshine" was great. He certainly knows how to write characters so hopefully he can write great STAR WARS characters which, if we are being honest, was lacking in the prequels. We know they can do action and big ideas but they characters were too cardboard in a lot of respects.

Feathers

If they can pull in the original actors in their original roles before its too late then so much the better. Hopefully it'll be set a few years after RotJ.

I can't wait and neither can the kids. Hopefully we'll get to see Clone Wars season 5 at some point to help tide us over.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Dangelus

It's so awesome how it's all coming together now! Can't wait!!

Bryancd

Quote from: Feathers on November 10, 2012, 05:26:20 AM
If they can pull in the original actors in their original roles before its too late then so much the better. Hopefully it'll be set a few years after RotJ.

I think getting the gang together won't be the problem and they need to set it 30 years down the road from ROTJ to make them age appropriate. So you can have Luke filling the Obi-wan role that Guiness had in ANH, the sage mentor to perhaps some younger Jedi. I think that's where this film with reasonably lift a bit of the EU as it makes sense.

X

I personally would want to see very limited use of Luke, Han, and Leia. I don't know how to put this politely, but their real aging doesn't match my mental image of what the characters would look like all these years later with their levels of technology to keep them fit.

Dangelus

Quote from: X on November 10, 2012, 07:07:58 AM
I personally would want to see very limited use of Luke, Han, and Leia. I don't know how to put this politely, but their real aging doesn't match my mental image of what the characters would look like all these years later with their levels of technology to keep them fit.

They could do a "Dooku" and cgi the more challenging moves ;)

Rico

Quote from: Dangelus on November 10, 2012, 07:17:41 AM

Not to mention Benjamin Button the actors a bit with some careful CGI.  :)

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on November 10, 2012, 07:19:52 AM
Quote from: Dangelus on November 10, 2012, 07:17:41 AM

Not to mention Benjamin Button the actors a bit with some careful CGI.  :)

TRON 2.0!

Rico

I've heard this reported before, but I thought it was worth posting again.  I have to respect JJ for sticking with Trek even after being offered to work on the next "Star Wars" film.

http://www.eonline.com/news/373940/j-j-abrams-turned-down-star-wars-7-gig-out-of-loyalty-to-star-trek

Bryancd

Holy crap! JJ IS directing?!!

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-film-exclusive-74596

Rico's going to flip when he hears this!

ChrisMC

No loyalty no more! Trek gets the shaft AGAIN. I guarantee he won't be back for a 3rd film.

That said, I'll be excited to see his take on the SW Universe.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bryancd

Quote from: Chris-El on January 24, 2013, 02:42:25 PM
No loyalty no more! Trek gets the shaft AGAIN. I guarantee he won't be back for a 3rd film.

Seriously, No! No! ....ok, I'm in. :)

X

Quote from: Chris-El on January 24, 2013, 02:42:25 PM

Why wouldn't he do it? To have his finger prints on two of the most beloved franchises, can you blame him?