• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Star Wars: Episode VII speculation thread

Started by ChrisMC, November 05, 2012, 02:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisMC

We got our first real rumor about a possible director for E7, and that is Matthew Vaughn (Kick-Ass, Stardust, Layer Cake, X-Men First Class). The rumor is that he was offered the gig and that is the main reason he dropped out of directing "X-Men: Days of Future Past", which is fine since we now have Bryan Singer returning to that universe.

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-matthew-vaughn/208715/#more-208715

So what do we think we are going to see 2.5 yrs from now?

1) I think the most likely scenario is the one that Mark Hammill talked about, with Luke being the "Obi-Wan" character for a new young Jedi.

2) Something much farther removed from ROTJ, possible 100 yrs or so, in the same time-frame as the "Legacy" comics. Allows for something completely new.

3) Something adapted from an EU story? Unlikely, I know, but the Thrawn trilogy is well loved. In my opinion it's pretty unlikely. I think it's also pretty unlikely that Harry Ford will show up. He has expressed disdain for the Han character and wanted him killed off in ROTJ.

Also, I was thinking that there could be standalone movies that are "separate" from the trilogies (that  :fettrotj movie that Joe Johnston wants to make) or something in the pre-Epiosde 4 days.

There's nothing more fun than speculating when you have no information!
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Bryancd

In response to your three bullet point:

1. Yes, I think it is very likely we see Hammil portray Luke as an older Jedi using his current age.
2. No, make it 30 years removed from Jedi so the OT characters like Luke, Leia, Lando, the droids, Chewie, ect...
3. NOTHING will be EU based, that much is becoming VERY clear from the press releases. Now, Harrison is a big fat no way UNLESS.....they get Spielberg to direct.

Rico

I actually think they will pull some bits and pieces from the EU.  Much of what happens in the EU is a pretty logical extension of things - Luke becomes the Master Jedi for a new group to be trained in the ways of the force, the New Republic is formed, Han & Leia get married - have kids, etc.  Since this is Episode 7 I don't think they really can set it in the far flung future.  I expect to at least see Mark Hamill back - maybe Carrie too.

ChrisMC

Quote from: Rico on November 05, 2012, 03:06:47 PM
I actually think they will pull some bits and pieces from the EU.  Much of what happens in the EU is a pretty logical extension of things - Luke becomes the Master Jedi for a new group to be trained in the ways of the force, the New Republic is formed, Han & Leia get married - have kids, etc.  Since this is Episode 7 I don't think they really can set it in the far flung future.  I expect to at least see Mark Hamill back - maybe Carrie too.
Yes, they will likely use the Clone Wars model of taking from the EU some things molded to fit their purpose. It's gonna be weird to have 20 years off books sort of become meaningless...

Bryancd

Quote from: Chris-El on November 05, 2012, 03:10:10 PM
Quote from: Rico on November 05, 2012, 03:06:47 PM
Yes, they will likely use the Clone Wars model of taking from the EU some things molded to fit their purpose. It's gonna be weird to have 20 years off books sort of become meaningless...

x3, I was referring to actually adapting entire novel series for the screen. And I don't think it negates the joy of reading those EU books at least for me. I never had a compelling need for them to be canon.

ChrisMC

I guess not....but to me they were since Episode 7 seemed like a crazy pipe dream. I also wonder what will happen to that live-action series hat was supposed to be more 'adult' oriented.

I wonder if we are going Sith again for baddies. I was never a fan of the Yuuzan Vong, and I'm not sure if a billion Sith with red lightsabers is compelling either. (as if I won't be squealing with joy as a thousand lightsabered dudes fight)

Bryancd

Quote from: Chris-El on November 05, 2012, 03:34:13 PM
I guess not....but to me they were since Episode 7 seemed like a crazy pipe dream. I also wonder what will happen to that live-action series hat was supposed to be more 'adult' oriented.

I wonder if we are going Sith again for baddies. I was never a fan of the Yuuzan Vong, and I'm not sure if a billion Sith with red lightsabers is compelling either. (as if I won't be squealing with joy as a thousand lightsabered dudes fight)

Your young and never saw that opening crawl in theater that said nothing but STAR WARS. :) The EU when it came about in the mid to late '90's was a fun romp and kept the fan base energized, no doubt. But they weren't GL's stories and often got close but never were perfectly on the mark for me. In regards to the live action show, dollars to donuts that will take a back seat to these films. Detours and the new Clone Wars era cartoon screened at CVI should be perfect for the Disney channel. And CLONE WARS will likely wrap next season anyway on Cartoon Network. I think it would be tought o have a feature STAR WARS film that doesn't have lightsaber fights, so Sith or something very similar is likely. :)

ChrisMC

Quote from: Bryancd on November 05, 2012, 03:49:21 PM
Quote from: Chris-El on November 05, 2012, 03:34:13 PM

Your young and never saw that opening crawl in theater that said nothing but STAR WARS. :) The EU when it came about in the mid to late '90's was a fun romp and kept the fan base energized, no doubt. But they weren't GL's stories and often got close but never were perfectly on the mark for me. In regards to the live action show, dollars to donuts that will take a back seat to these films. Detours and the new Clone Wars era cartoon screened at CVI should be perfect for the Disney channel. And CLONE WARS will likely wrap next season anyway on Cartoon Network. I think it would be tought o have a feature STAR WARS film that doesn't have lightsaber fights, so Sith or something very similar is likely. :)
You are incorrect, sir! I am plenty old enough to have seen Star Wars in a DRIVE IN no less!

Bryancd

Good grief, what were you, 2?! That doesn't count! ;)

ChrisMC

I was 4, it was 1978, since movies were shown in theaters for a long time back then, and took a while to get to smaller towns like mine....and I remember it very clearly! It was a double feature with Grease. Luckily for me Grease was second. I was bundled up in the back of the wagon with footy pajamas and blankets...it blew my mind, and shortly thereafter I had every toy available! I became obsessed instantly! It's one of my formative memories, actually.

Rico

Ahh, the days of watching Star Wars in a drive-in and recording the audio off the terrible mono speaker in the car on to my little cassette recorder.  Man, those were good times!

Bromptonboy

Pete

ChrisMC

And the hits just keep on coming. Two weeks ago I would have said you're crazy if you told me this was gonna happen.

Rico

Ford has never said never as far as I know.  He always just makes the wise comment that he is "open to the idea" for most things.  I'm sure he wants to just see a script first before deciding.