• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Trek withdrawal

Started by Coda, October 17, 2012, 09:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coda

Hey all,

A noobie here to Treks in Scifi forums, and am very happy to be part of this scifi family!

Ever since the last TNG movie, and then the reboot of the franchise with the new Star Trek film, I find myself suffering from TNG withdrawal.  I miss the TNG-DS9-VOY universe when I realized that Paramount probably won't ever be returning to that universe.  That universe is so rich with so many characters, stories, plots, and memories, it's hard to let go.  What do you do to alleviate these withdrawal symptoms?  It's like missing that childhood friend you used to play imaginary adventures with in the forest behind your house.  Dare I say it, it was almost a magical time....8-)

Disclaimer: I'm not addicted to Trek.  I just miss that ol' universe and all that was in it.   :blink

davekill

Greetings Coda,
Plenty of Trek and other great sci-fi to find on these forums - welcome aboard.

moyer777

Hi Coda, I miss TNG too.  Welcome to the group!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Ktrek

Welcome to the site Coda! I really wasn't a huge fan of TNG until the third season but after that I looked forward with anticipation every week to the next episode. Same with DS9. Much of the way I watch television has changed since those days but there has not been another show since TNG that is a must see for me. Working my way through the first season Blu-Rays has brought back some of the magic but what I'd really like to see is CBS do a weekly series again. Star Trek works best on the small screen in my opinion. Not that I don't also enjoy the movies but I prefer the TV shows.

I hope you enjoy it here and will stick around.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Welcome Coda.  Have you tried reading some of the great Trek books being published?

Bromptonboy

Pete

Jobydrone

Greetings and welcome.  Agreed with Rico's suggestion, the TNG series of novels that pick up after the end of Nemesis are pretty engaging if you haven't read them.  Also known as the "TNG relaunch" they feature stories by veteran Trek authors based on Picard's new crew that features Worf as first officer, Geordi, Beverly,and other familiar characters as well as new characters that are well realized to replace some of those that have gone on to other duties or to meet their maker.  Starting with "Death in Winter" (just okay), then moving on to "Resistance" (great), "Q & A" (pretty good), "Before Dishonor" (extremely controversial and the last one I've read), and "Greater Than the Sum", they then move on to a crossover series of books that I haven't tackled yet.  Those books I've mentioned are all pretty good in my opinion and more than satisfy the uge to know what happens to our favorite characters from the TNG universe.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Geekyfanboy

billybob476

Coda

Quote from: Rico on October 18, 2012, 05:01:23 AM
Welcome Coda.  Have you tried reading some of the great Trek books being published?

I've tried to read some of them, but they're just not the same!  I've read some pretty poorly written ones, and started to think that they'll just publish anyone's story.  Have you got any favs you can suggest?  I'll add it to my list of my books to read, which has exceeded 100 books....  So much to watch and read, so little time.

Coda

Quote from: Jobydrone on October 18, 2012, 06:25:59 AM
Greetings and welcome.  Agreed with Rico's suggestion, the TNG series of novels that pick up after the end of Nemesis are pretty engaging if you haven't read them.  Also known as the "TNG relaunch" they feature stories by veteran Trek authors based on Picard's new crew that features Worf as first officer, Geordi, Beverly,and other familiar characters as well as new characters that are well realized to replace some of those that have gone on to other duties or to meet their maker.  Starting with "Death in Winter" (just okay), then moving on to "Resistance" (great), "Q & A" (pretty good), "Before Dishonor" (extremely controversial and the last one I've read), and "Greater Than the Sum", they then move on to a crossover series of books that I haven't tackled yet.  Those books I've mentioned are all pretty good in my opinion and more than satisfy the uge to know what happens to our favorite characters from the TNG universe.

Thanks Jobydrone!  I'll add all of those to my list, near the top!

btw, the crossover series, are those the subsequent books?  Losing the Peace and Indistinguishable?

Jobydrone

Quote from: Coda on October 18, 2012, 11:04:05 AM

btw, the crossover series, are those the subsequent books?  Losing the Peace and Indistinguishable?
the two you mentioned come after the ones I wrote about, I havent read those yet, or any of the crossover books.  I'm not as interested in the other Trek series novels other than the pure TNG ones.  But supposedly there is some kind of huge war involving the Borg that sounds pretty interesting so I might give it a try.  Death In Winter takes place right after the end of Nemesis (the last TNG movie) and then the subsequent reading order is as I listed in my previous post. Memory Alpha/Beta is a great source for info on Trek novels.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Coda

Quote from: Jobydrone on October 18, 2012, 12:25:19 PM
Quote from: Coda on October 18, 2012, 11:04:05 AM

the two you mentioned come after the ones I wrote about, I havent read those yet, or any of the crossover books.  I'm not as interested in the other Trek series novels other than the pure TNG ones.  But supposedly there is some kind of huge war involving the Borg that sounds pretty interesting so I might give it a try.  Death In Winter takes place right after the end of Nemesis (the last TNG movie) and then the subsequent reading order is as I listed in my previous post. Memory Alpha/Beta is a great source for info on Trek novels.

I'm on it!

wraith1701

Quote from: Rico on October 18, 2012, 05:01:23 AM

^ THIS.  The TNG-Era still lives on for me through the novels.  One of my favorite ongoing Trek novel series is New Frontier, which has roots in Star Trek: The Next Generation, but revolves around a mostly different crew on a different starship.  There are a lot of callbacks to TNG in the series, though:  Some of the major characters were either guest-star characters or one-off crewmen on the Enterprise who've now advanced & grown in their own right. 

By the way, welcome to the forum.  There are a ton of very cool, very solid folks here.  :)