• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Mom's in Sci-Fi

Started by Jen, May 10, 2012, 02:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

Angela and I are going to be recording two episodes tomorrow night. One of them is a special for Mother's Day. We're trying to come up with a list of sci-fi and/or fantasy movies or TV to watch with in honor of the day. We're looking for shows or flicks that prominently feature strong women as mothers. Our Star Trek list is very long. We're not mentioning (Star Wars) or Amadala as she really didn't get to do much other than have Luke and Leia and we dislike Phantom Menace. LOL, so don't suggest her. :D

Terminator 2 (Sarah Connor)

Aliens (Ripley)

TNG: (Helena Rozhenko: Family, anything with Lwaxana Troi, Deanna: The Child, anything with Beverley)

TOS: (Amanda Grayson: Journey to Bable + STIV)

BSG (Sharon (Athena) Agathon)

Harry Potter (Molly Weasley Super Mom)

Can you all think of anyone I'm forgetting?
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

ChrisMC

Well, there's Jessica Atreides from Dune, a very strong mother character. Padme from Star Wars, ummm...the Borg and Alien queens?? ;)
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Here are a couple more fantasy type suggestions.  I always thought Buffy's mom Joyce Summers was pretty well written and a strong character on that show.  And how about Lady Stark from "Game of Thrones?"

iceman

June Lockhart Mother in Lost in space

ChrisMC

iceman

Yvonne Decarlo Mother to Eddy Munster

ChrisMC

Quote from: Rico on May 10, 2012, 03:33:47 PM
Here are a couple more fantasy type suggestions.  I always thought Buffy's mom Joyce Summers was pretty well written and a strong character on that show.  And how about Lady Stark from "Game of Thrones?"
What about Cersei?? She really cares about her awful son, lol.

Rico

Cersei - LOL!

Hey, how about Emma Swan from "Once Upon a Time?"

Jen

Thanks Rico. I liked Lady Stark, but dislike GoT in general...so prolly won't mention that character because I can't recommend the book or film. I'm suggesting movies or television episodes to watch with mom. :D I did a little review a while back about that on Anomaly about why I dislike the book. But I appreciate the mention regardless.

Padme Amadala is right out for the reasons mentioned in my original post. :)

I'm looking for pivotal characters who do a lot of mothering in the specific movie or television episode they appear in. Lost in Space mom is a good suggestion. Lilly Munster is great. I  think I'll add Morticia Adams as well, particularly The Adam's Family movie.

I like the Dune suggestion. Need to watch that again to refresh my memory about that character. :)

Kasey also recommended Buffy's mom and a few episodes in particular. Thanks for suggesting that one too! Thank you all. Very much appreciate the feedback/suggestions. :)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

bevs_plaything

Jennifer Sisko from DS9 and Boxes' mother from the 70's Battlestar Galactica.  :)

sheldor

Back to Future - talk about pivotal!

Zarabeth32

Hey Jen!

I was thinking the Female Q from ST:VGR even though we didn't see the baby until John De Lancie Q brought the baby to Ant Kathy. ;-)

Nikki Sanders, Angela Petrelli: moms from Heroes

Captain Janeway from VGR as well. Even though she was the captain first, she was a mother to her crew especially to the younger children and then 7 of 9 as well with the borg children she helped to take care of.

That's all I got for now.

I'll add more if I think of any.

Happy Mother's Day to you!

Z
In honor of my still living father - "I drank what?"

Zarabeth32

Quote from: iceman on May 10, 2012, 03:57:35 PM
Yvonne Decarlo Mother to Eddy Munster

Don't forget Morticia from The Addams Family then.  ;)
In honor of my still living father - "I drank what?"

Jen

Quote from: Zarabeth32 on May 11, 2012, 06:24:53 PM
Hey Jen!

I was thinking the Female Q from ST:VGR even though we didn't see the baby until John De Lancie Q brought the baby to Ant Kathy. ;-)

Nikki Sanders, Angela Petrelli: moms from Heroes

Captain Janeway from VGR as well. Even though she was the captain first, she was a mother to her crew especially to the younger children and then 7 of 9 as well with the borg children she helped to take care of.

That's all I got for now.

I'll add more if I think of any.

Happy Mother's Day to you!

Z

Very good suggestions. Thank you. And thanks for the Mother's Day wishes. I didn't get to record the episode on Saturday, sort of bummed about that but Dave was called up at the last minute and told he had to travel to South Texas for training. So I ditched the episode willingly and spent the rest of the day with my family. I think I'll share the list with Angela and do it later in the year.

Oh and I had added Morticia to the list right away. That's a good one too. :)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Bromptonboy

How about one of the Amrylin Seat's - or even Morraine from Wheel of Time?
Pete