• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Philadelphia Spinners

Started by Jobydrone, March 12, 2012, 11:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

My little brother just made the roster for the Philadelphia Spinners!  They are one of eight teams in the new AUDL, the American Ultimate Disc League.  They're the first professional Ultimate Frisbee league in the world, and hopefully they are successful.  Other teams include the Rhode Island Rampage, the Indianapolis Alley Cats, the Buffalo Hunters (unfortunate name), and the Detroit Mechanix.  The first season starts next month, with sixteen games going over the course of the following five months.  My bro's been playing since college, and his amateur league team has taken him all over the counrty at major expense.  I am so psyched he's able to play the game he loves, and gets all his expenses covered and a small salary to boot!  Very exciting for our family!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

No way!!! I played Ultimate all through college at Tufts University. We made Collegiate Nationals in 1989. I then started playing again back in 2001 with a pick up game in Fairfield CT and we formed a Mens Masters Team (30 or older) and competed at Northeast Regionals in 2002, almost made Nationals. I continued playing when we first moved here to AZ in 2003 but stopped when I started training for traithlon. LOVE Ultimate, such a great game. In college I was a long as I could run fast and far and then became a handler for the Mens league.

Jobydrone

Yeah Bryan, my bro is one of the elder statesmen in the league at 32 years old.  Most of his teammates are in their early 20s, so you have to know he's good at the game.  His league team has made it to the nationals every year for the past three or four years but hadn't been able to finish past sixth place I think.  It's unfortunate but the league is pretty much east coast and midwest, no teams near you in AZ.  The league needs all the support it can get.

They've changed up the game a bit, I think the field is alot wider than the dimensions the amateurs use, and there's a few different rules.  But the professional game is very similar to the game that most people familiar with the sport know and love.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Yeah, we played under the rules and guidelines of the UPA, Ultimate Players Association, which ws the sports only governing body dating back to the late '70's and early '80's. Interesting that this would seem to be a different governing body. great to see the sport getting a bit more mainstream. It's incredible excercise, right up there with soccer for a sport with constant running and play.

Jobydrone

Yup, my bro is in incredible shape, his day job is personal trainer at a local gym.  You can check out the league website at http://www.theaudl.com