Before Watchmen

Started by Jobydrone, February 01, 2012, 11:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

DC is planning a pretty big event this summer: seven prequel miniseries based on characters from Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon's seminal graphic novel the Watchmen.  Seven series are planned, based on Rorschach, the Minutemen, Nite Owl, Ozymandias, Dr. Manhattan, Silk Spectre, and the Comedian.  Some big name writers and artists are attached and the series take place during different time periods but all are prior to the events of the original series.  A lot of controversy is guaranteed, and both Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons have made statements indicating they are less than pleased about it all.  I'll be reading all of them though, and I'm really looking forward to more about these characters.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

DrKankles

I will definitely be scooping those up as fast as possible.  I'm honestly surprised it took this long.  I thought we'd see a Nite Owl/ Rorshcach comic long ago.  And as for Alan Moore being less than pleased... Well there's a real shocker, when is he ever pleased about anything.

Rico

billybob476

Interesting to see J. Micheal Straczynski on the Nite Owl cover (especially given the recent Babylon 5 podcast!)

Jobydrone

Quote from: billybob476 on February 02, 2012, 05:44:00 AM
Interesting to see J. Micheal Straczynski on the Nite Owl cover (especially given the recent Babylon 5 podcast!)
Can you elaborate?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

billybob476

I know he's done a lot of comic work but I really know him as the writer of all of Babylon 5. Just piques my interest.

Jobydrone

I see, didn't get the connection. 

davekill

More news...

DC Comics to publish controversial 'Watchmen' prequels. Will you buy them? An EXCLUSIVE first look at artwork, creative details

Geekdom, get ready to rumble with excitement...or grumble with outrage. Or both. In an announcement sure to ignite a firestorm of fanboy passion and pique, DC Entertainment revealed today that DC Comics will publish a collection of miniseries that will expand upon the world of Watchmen, the influential superhero saga originally released as a 12-issue maxi-series from 1986 to 1987. Marked by bravura storytelling, provocative politics, and gritty violence, Watchmen is best known for deconstructing superhero archetypes embodied by cultural icons like Superman and Batman. (You can read our 2005 oral history about the genesis, creation, and legacy of the series here.) Why might the new comics be controversial? Because Watchmen's widely revered writer, Alan Moore, who has long been at war with DC for any number of reasons, has absolutely nothing to do with them.

Branded Before Watchmen, the long-rumored project–which has been on-again, off-again in a variety of forms for years–will comprise seven miniseries created by an all-star lineup of talent, including Amanda Conner, who drew the first look at Silk Spectre posted here...

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2012/02/01/watchmen-prequels-exclusive-details/

...and further insights about B5 and Watchmen from JMS.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=336153143086222&id=139652459402959