• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

A Star Wars Fanatic has joined the forums.

Started by ryanlb, October 04, 2006, 01:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanlb

Where to start?

I guess I'd better come clean from the beginning.  I'm not a huge Star Trek fan.  I've always liked it, but haven't been an avid follower of it.  I don't think I've ever seen a full episode of TOS.  I know I've never seen any of Voyager nor Enterprise. I've only seen 3 of the movies (IV, Generations, First Contact).   I have seen a fair amount of TNG and DS9, but probably not much more thant half of them (I don't know, maybe more, while working during college my job allowed me to watch TV for 4 hours and between FX, the Sci-Fi channel, and Spike I was at times able to watch 2-3 hours of Star Trek, though I also got lots of Buffy and Highlander in there too).  I am a very big fan of Star Wars.  I have a good sized collection of Star Wars action figures, and am working on other high end stuff.  I like Sci-fi but haven't really seen much of it.  No Battlestar Galactica, but it's definitely on the Have-To-See list, as is Firefly and Serenity.  I'm an active member of the forums Star Wars Action News, and to a lesser extent fx-sabers.com and TheCustomSaberShop.com.

I'm 28, married, have a 4 month old daughter - who is undoubtably the cutest girl in the whole world, we'll be dressing her up as Leia for Halloween - have BS in Computer Engineering, work as a programmer for a reseller of after-market parts and accessories for ATVs and MC, and I live in Utah, USA.

If you're not interested in Star Wars or my collection, skip this paragraph.  I've been trying to define what my collecting focus is, but it's not very (focused).  Toywise I'm trying to stick to Clones, Imperial troops, and the Sith.  I have several lightsabers, Master Replicas FX and some custom ones that I'm working on.  I'm working on getting all the Star Wars Insider Magazines, the novels (as part of the SWAN bookclub, if you're interested in reading the SW novels in publication order come join us, we're only 4 books in), the Visual Dictionaries/Essential Guides and others of that sort.  I'm working on updating my website with pictures of my collection, and I'll be sure to post a link once I get around to actually updating it.  I've also been acquiring a pretty nice Anakin costume, it's not accurate enough to get me into the 501st (mine's got black instead of dark brown) which is too bad, but maybe that'll give me motivation/excuse to do a stormtrooper or Royal Guard costume someday.  I am planning on building a few of the props, like the Jedi communicator and holo projector sometime, too.  I've start branching out into The Lord of the Rings collectibles, thanks to the mini-busts by Gentle Giant, though I missed the bandwagon for all the Star Wars mini-busts they have, except for the new Jango Fett one (which looks incredible).  In the interest of keeping myself under control I will not be branching out into Star Trek collectibles, though I certainly wouldn't mind owning the DVDs.

Other random info about me:  I am an avid Depeche Mode fan, and also highly enjoy New Order and the Cure, with some time left over for Red Flag, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, and other music of a less than savory nature: Mannheim Steamroller, Rammstein, John Williams, Bach, etc.

I saw a couple of Rico's posts at SWAN and after a couple complimentary posts by Arnie (the SWAN host) about Rico's podcast I started listening last week.  I've gone through a few of the older episodes, and the last 3 or 4 recent ones, and well, I think I'm hooked.  I've started reading through the various Wikipedia entries on Star Trek, I've started looking for TOS DVDs on ebay - though they're more than I'm willing (or able) to commit to this yet, but I'd really like to watch all the series' from start to finish, with the movies, in chronological order.

From what I've heard Rico pretty much assumes we've all seen the episode he's reviewing, and so far that has been unequivacally wrong in my case, but I've still enjoyed the reviews, and it has really made me want to watch them (see above paragraph).

Anyway, I'm glad to join and participate, although my participation here will most likely be limited to the Star Wars forum (get ready for me to resurrect a bunch of old SW threads), since that's what I know.  I'll read the Star Trek forum, but am not likely to be able to say much of use to anyone, but maybe I'll learn something.

Wow, I think that's the longest post I've ever made, anywhere.  I'm not usually this verbose.
"I won't have this handed to me, it's only worth something if you struggle for it.  Damn it, Bones, I want my pain.  I NEED my pain."
"The fact that you just quoted Star Trek V to me only proves how screwed we are without that money." ~ PVP Online

Geekyfanboy

Welcome to the forums.. it's true we talk alot about Star Trek.. but we also talk alot about other fantasy and sci fi stuff especially Star Wars.

PS.. you're right your daughter is adorable. Congrats

Elizur

Dude....you are right that's a verbose post.  But it is full of good stuff. 

Welcome to Treksf!  Rico has done some Star Wars stuff, check the archives for that. 

Rico does assume you've seen the ST episode, because all of us have, but I'm glad to hear that it still works for you.  Sometimes when I'm listening to some of the more obscure ST stuff I can't remember what a scene looks like, but Rico does a good job of explaining things as much as possible. 

I also listen to SWAN although I'm not a collector.  Well, I have Skippy the Jedi Droid MOC, and about 30 figures in my boy's sandbox.  Oddly, my galoob STTNG figures play well with my Star Wars figures.   Go figure.

Anyway, I like Star Wars also and will TTYL.

Grats on the baby, she's precious.  Do you have a Baby Bjorn?  My girl LOVED that and I carried her all around town in it. 

Rico

Welcome to the fun Ryan!  Glad you decided to check out the podcast and the forums too.  I've been listening to SWAN also for a long while, but don't get a chance to visit the forums there as much as I'd like.  They do an amazing job at covering collectibles from SW each week (Arnie has a "disease" - hehe).  I'm also a big SW fan as well as Trek - but it was Trek for me first as I'm a bit older.  As others have said I've also covered all three of the SW OT films on different podcasts giving my impressions and comments.  As you also know I'm a pretty big collector of a variety of items.  Check out the collection gallery off the main page.  For most podcasts I do a small collectible section near the end of the show as well.

Congrats on the little girl too.  I have two teenage sons and know how great kids are.

Hope you continue to listen to the shows and enjoy the community here.  :)

ryanlb

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.  I've enjoyed what I've heard so far.  I am aware of the SW OT reviews, but haven't gotten to them yet.
"I won't have this handed to me, it's only worth something if you struggle for it.  Damn it, Bones, I want my pain.  I NEED my pain."
"The fact that you just quoted Star Trek V to me only proves how screwed we are without that money." ~ PVP Online

Riskygodfather

"Do a barrel roll" - Peppy, StarFox 64
"Coincidence... I think NOT!" - Bear, Polkadot Shorts
"If at first you don't succeed... you fail" -Portal preview

Admiral Anthony Out

ryanlb

Yeah, if I'd remember to show up more often.  :-[

duken

star wars is cool...

BUT STAR TREK IS BETTER!!!!! haha