• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

The Death of Padme -Spoilers?

Started by ChadH, December 09, 2009, 10:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChadH

I wish to consult the Jedi Council.
While Padme was giving birth to Luke and Leia, Anakin was simultaneously being changed into Darth Vader -and suffering greatly in the process.

Questions: Is Padme's death generally attributed to complications in child birth or was her emotional connection with Anakin responsible? While he was in agony did he inadvertently lash out with the dark side of the force and cause her death? What is the generally accepted belief?

Bryancd

As per the script:
MEDICAL DROID: "We don't know why. She has lost the will to live."

LOL!!!! Lame! Not complications from the pregnancy. I suppose you can lay the blame on Anakin force choke caused some kind of fatal damage, or she just died of a broken heart.  ::)

ChadH

What made me ask this question is that the Emperor himself tells Anakin (now Vader) that he is resopnsible for Padme's death. I've been wondering if he is being metaphorical or literal. Or was he lying in an effort to pull Vader deeper into his clutches?

Bryancd

Quote from: ChadH on December 09, 2009, 10:39:09 AM
What made me ask this question is that the Emperor himself tells Anakin (now Vader) that he is resopnsible for Padme's death. I've been wondering if he is being metaphorical or literal. Or was he lying in an effort to pull Vader deeper into his clutches?

I would say the later. I think Lucas had the intention of laying Padme's death directly on Anakin. But he sort of danced around that, maybe he felt it would be too graphic or evil at that point in the story, but this comment by Palpatine does hint to that fact.

cosmonaut

I consider Star Wars a science-fantasy, in its frame of reference destiny is a legitimate concept. Anakins fate is to bring balance to the force, so he had to become Vader and for that it was necessary for Padamé to die. (Their future was written, literally, we've seen the movies!)

I would have preferred it if Anakin himself would have killed her in his desperate attempts to save her, perfect ending for a tragedy. Lashing out with the dark side would have been great.

Mike recently wrote how heartbroken his kid was that Anakin would become Vader. I think Bryan is right, Lucas might have had intentions to make Anakin murder Padamé, but then he realized he wasn't making a Shakespearan tragedy but a movie that should be suitable for a very young audience and they already witnessed him killing a whole Jedi school.

Rico

I've always felt it was a little bit of a few things that killed Padme.  She had basically seen the man she loves go off the deep end and almost kill her.  She was VERY pregnant at the time with twins and physically that is very difficult.  I think there were some complications during the delivery, but ultimately she had lost the will to go on.  The mind is a powerful thing (maybe even more in Star Wars) and it can certainly impact your physical well being.  If you become that overwhelmed and saddened by something, it will cause you problems.  Of course, it's a bit melodramatic and certainly convenient for the movies, but hey, it's a space fantasy.

cosmonaut

Quote from: Rico on December 09, 2009, 12:19:35 PM
(...) The mind is a powerful thing (maybe even more in Star Wars) and it can certainly impact your physical well being. (...)

That's an excellent point! :)

Jobydrone

Quote from: ChadH on December 09, 2009, 10:39:09 AM

Probably the Emperor meant the same thing my wife means when my kids are misbehaving, and she says to me "Look what you did to me."
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bromptonboy

Quote from: cosmonaut on December 09, 2009, 11:55:01 AM
he realized he wasn't making a Shakespearan tragedy but a movie that should be suitable for a very young audience and they already witnessed him killing a whole Jedi school.

I think you are spot on with this observation.  Physically killing his wife and the mother of his children, would make accepting his 'redemption' at the end of the series that much more dificult.
Pete

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on December 09, 2009, 12:19:35 PM
I've always felt it was a little bit of a few things that killed Padme.  She had basically seen the man she loves go off the deep end and almost kill her.  She was VERY pregnant at the time with twins and physically that is very difficult.  I think there were some complications during the delivery, but ultimately she had lost the will to go on.  The mind is a powerful thing (maybe even more in Star Wars) and it can certainly impact your physical well being.  If you become that overwhelmed and saddened by something, it will cause you problems.  Of course, it's a bit melodramatic and certainly convenient for the movies, but hey, it's a space fantasy.

Your very much right Rico.  The mind is incredibly powerful as the body cannot stop it.  (well, short of the whole, you'll breath on your own thing).   People kill themselves just by their own thoughts.  Those thoughts ultimately kill themselves so its not hard to grasp Padme's death happening the way it did.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

...I still contend it was kind of weak and could have been much more compelling, but I can say that about all the prequals content...

cosmonaut

Quote from: Bryancd on December 09, 2009, 04:05:46 PM
...I still contend it was kind of weak and could have been much more compelling, but I can say that about all the prequels content...

No one arguing that point! :)

There is another reason I don't like it. Could you imagine a male character die of a broken heart?

She was raised to rule, she should have been a strong female character, yet she is strangely passive and clueless. :(

Blackride

...I still contend it was kind of weak and could have been much more compelling, but I can say that about all the prequals content...

Exactly. I actually laughed when the medical droid said that....

Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Bryancd

Quote from: Blackride on December 10, 2009, 04:46:34 AM

Exactly. I actually laughed when the medical droid said that....

Almost as funny as the Robot Chicken spoof "Dr. Ball"! LOL!

Feathers

Oddly, I've always assumed that Palpetine's statement was simply that. A statement.

I'd assumed he had no idea (nor concern) as to whether she was alive or dead but was simply spinning a tale to further bend Vader to his will.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.