• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"Defying Gravity" - series starts Aug. 2nd

Started by Rico, July 30, 2009, 06:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

This new series about a group of astronauts on a space mission starts this coming weekend, Sunday on ABC.  Couple of trailers:

ABC "Defying Gravity" Trailer

ABC's "Defying Gravity" - Trailer 2

billybob476

I kept seeing these promos on TV. Dunno if they are just playing up the sex angle or that's what it's all about. Personally, not going to go out of my way to watch this one.

Rico

KatzeKitty

Billybob, of course they're playing up the sex angle, that's how they can attract the 12-36 year old males.  And, of course they're playing up the romance and relationship issues, that's how they attract the 12-55 year old females.  It'd be awesome if this was more science and situationally focused, but because it's on prime time network TV, I doubt it'll satisfy in that area.

I hadn't even heard about it until this morning, but I'll probably try to catch the premier at http://abc.go.com/primetime/defyinggravity/ .

~katzekitty

Rico

Well, there was plenty of sex and relationship stuff in the new Galactica and I think we all agree that show rocked!  I'm guessing this won't have that level of writing, but I wouldn't dismiss a show just based on those factors.  It's on my TIVO now.  Will try and watch it soon.

X

After two shows, this one has already hit my top ten for mush watch/tivo things. I actaully watched both episodes twice last night and it was better with the second showing.

billybob476

Right, I'll agree they may have been playing upthat angle in previews. I guessbased on that I figured that was all there was to it. I may give it a watch if it shows up on demand.

X

After seeing the show twice, I really didn't notice that much sex. There were relationship things, but only one real semi sex scene. Which I felt was tastefully done.

Rico

Watched it last night and thought it was a pretty cool start for this series.  It's nice to see a major network tackling a show like this.  Mostly "real" astronaut stuff with a little Sci-Fi tossed in.  And yeah, the sex stuff was pretty low key.  One main scene and a few other little things but nothing overboard, especially for two hours of TV (IMHO).  Anyway, some mysterious things going on too that makes me want to keep tuning in - which I will.  Season pass on the TIVO for this one!

Here's another preview for the series with some good basic info:

Sexy Sci-fi 'Defying Gravity' Debuts on ABC

billybob476

Don't want to give people the wrong idea here. I don't mind the sex stuff at all. I'm Not sure if the same previews were running up here as the ones down there but the ones I kept seeing were just very focused on the astronauts messing around on earth, then messing around in zero G, etc etc.

I just thought it was a bit insulting to our intelligence as viewers. I'll give this show a look.

Rico

It's just simple advertising and marketing.  Trying to get people to watch.  They do it all the time for TV and movies.  Sex sells.  Simple as that.  But the show has to have more than that to survive of course.  And I hope this one gets a shot to hang around for a bit.

wraith1701

Rico- you mentioned some mysterious stuff going on.  Are we talking sci-fi/lost type of stuff?  Would you classify the show as more sci-fi, or more Drama Set In Space?
-Eric

X

Quote from: wraith1701 on August 04, 2009, 04:45:48 PM
Rico- you mentioned some mysterious stuff going on.  Are we talking sci-fi/lost type of stuff?  Would you classify the show as more sci-fi, or more Drama Set In Space?
-Eric
This show is 100% sci-fi. there are sci-fi things happening in it and it's set in 2058 or something. There is also something quite ... 2001 happening as well. For me, it is clearly sci-fi but under a drama backdrop. I think it has a BSG like sci-fi feel, but with something more.

Rico

Well, it is set in the future so by that I guess you could call it all Sci-Fi in a way.  But the fact that it's centered around astronauts on a mission to explore the solar system makes it a little more "real science" than some SF.  As far as the "mysterious stuff," so far we don't know enough to know what's up with that aspect.

wraith1701

X, Rico, thank you.  I'm sold; I'm gonna check it out. :)