• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

TNG Cast back together on "Family Guy"

Started by Rico, February 25, 2009, 04:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC

All I could think of when I saw Rob Lowe and Adam West was how much their pajamas and twin beds reminded me of Bert and Ernie.

billybob476

Well the beauty of ths place is we can all have different opinions! I guess my major issue with it is that I really wish there was MORE. Looking at what they did with Star Wars I guess I was expecting something of the same calibre.

Rico

I'm with Joe.  I was fine with the episode, but it really needed more from the TNG cast.  They got them all together and that's all they did with them?  I watch "Family Guy" each and every week and frankly this wasn't even some of their best stuff.  They always have multiple stories going - sometimes even more than two.  But I had hoped the TNG/Stewie thing was going to be the main chunk of the episode.  Oh well.

billybob476

Wil Wheaton tweeted this:

QuoteAlso, I recall there being way more TNG stuff in the script I read. If they animated it, I'm sure it will make an eventual DVD release.

http://twitter.com/wilw/statuses/1416304524

Geekyfanboy

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: KC on March 29, 2009, 09:47:23 PM
All I could think of when I saw Rob Lowe and Adam West was how much their pajamas and twin beds reminded me of Bert and Ernie.

haha, glad I wasn't the only who noticed that. 

As for the episode, I'm highly disappointed.  Hopefully they have a lot of extended scenes on some sort of DVD.  Otherwise, they spent way too much time on Meg (and when he said: "Yep, this is going to be a Meg episode....no one will blame you" I thought he was joking...apparently not)

Otherwise, it was full of laughs and such, but overall, they should have done more.  It seems like such a waste.  :(

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

moyer777

Well, I'm not a family guy fan at all, but I watched this one.  Ok, interesting.

I think I may even do a whole podcast on it.  Why you may ask?

At first I was a little offended at the way they totally ranked on Christianity.  But as I got to watching, and watched a second time I had to be very sad for the way that people who profess to serve God act and portray their faith.  Seth had an amazing point to the whole thing.  I don't agree with his conclusion, but I completely understand why he would think that.  I think he was commenting more on the system and "brain washing" that takes place.  He pegged Kirk Cameron.  Gee whiz.  I used to sit through his instructional videos for "The way of the Master" series. 

I think the reason it was hard for me is because I actually know people like that.  Yeah.  It is what turns my stomach in my faith.  I think they mean well, but I doubt the sincerity and question the motive behind it.

I think a few years ago I would have been ticked off at the show, but today, it was thought provoking and sad to me.  Kind of strange to have two of the things I love about life-- God and TNG in the same episode.  Both got a good ribbing.  :)

Really though, in conclusion it proves the point I have been trying to get across in my podcast Take Him With You- there is a big difference between religious dogma and true faith.

Ok, I'll get down off my soap box.  :)

Oh, I forgot the thing I liked the most about it was when meg threw the cross stick for Brian.... oh I laughed out loud and rewinded several times!  AWESOME!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

billybob476

Quote from: moyer777 on March 30, 2009, 04:43:51 PMOh, I forgot the thing I liked the most about it was when meg threw the cross stick for Brian.... oh I laughed out loud and rewinded several times!  AWESOME!

I love it when they occasionally actually treat Brian like a dog. The best part is he can't help himself and he hates it.

moyer777

Quote from: billybob476 on March 30, 2009, 04:57:45 PM
Quote from: moyer777 on March 30, 2009, 04:43:51 PMOh, I forgot the thing I liked the most about it was when meg threw the cross stick for Brian.... oh I laughed out loud and rewinded several times!  AWESOME!

I love it when they occasionally actually treat Brian like a dog. The best part is he can't help himself and he hates it.

Well I couldn't keep from laughing when he was like "no, don't, please don't!"  then my dog does the exact thing when you try and take the stick away from her, just not in tune. :)

Rico

How about God flying around like Flash Gordon?!  That was pretty cool!

Flash is God

moyer777

Yes, I got a huge kick out of that, being a fan of that movie...   heeheh.

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: moyer777 on March 30, 2009, 04:43:51 PM
Well, I'm not a family guy fan at all, but I watched this one.  Ok, interesting.

I think I may even do a whole podcast on it.  Why you may ask?

At first I was a little offended at the way they totally ranked on Christianity.  But as I got to watching, and watched a second time I had to be very sad for the way that people who profess to serve God act and portray their faith.  Seth had an amazing point to the whole thing.  I don't agree with his conclusion, but I completely understand why he would think that.  I think he was commenting more on the system and "brain washing" that takes place.  He pegged Kirk Cameron.  Gee whiz.  I used to sit through his instructional videos for "The way of the Master" series. 

I think the reason it was hard for me is because I actually know people like that.  Yeah.  It is what turns my stomach in my faith.  I think they mean well, but I doubt the sincerity and question the motive behind it.

I think a few years ago I would have been ticked off at the show, but today, it was thought provoking and sad to me.  Kind of strange to have two of the things I love about life-- God and TNG in the same episode.  Both got a good ribbing.  :)

Really though, in conclusion it proves the point I have been trying to get across in my podcast Take Him With You- there is a big difference between religious dogma and true faith.

Ok, I'll get down off my soap box.  :)

Oh, I forgot the thing I liked the most about it was when meg threw the cross stick for Brian.... oh I laughed out loud and rewinded several times!  AWESOME!

Yeah, that's pretty much true for me too Rick.  (Completely forgot to comment on that...shame on me).  When shows do it so...so sarcastically it does rank me too.  However, I don't get upset about it.  It is, as you say, thought provoking.  (Besides, what's the point getting upset over a TV show...seriously.  :P) 

The really sad part is, I've never seen a "true" Christian on TV as of late.  Its either very joking like, sarcastic, fake or plain wrong.  The only religion they show is anything but Christian faith.  Seems to be bad mojo to show it on TV.  They show anything from murders to geeks to nutcases.  But they never show Christian faith.  This seems wrong to me....

Ok, off my tiny soap box too.  :P 

King

P.S. Yes, Rick and I just derailed the thread.  Shame on us. 
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

alanp

First of all, I was a little disappointed that the TNG cast was only in the B story of a 22 minute cartoon.  And I didn't even think with 9 guest stars from TNG there was any need for a B story at all.

I can totally understand the culture's problem with TV preachers who mix their bible with their politics, but I really don't get their beef with Kirk Cameron.  He was kind of a wild child star who found a faith that changed his life for the better.  So why would it be inappropriate for him to share his faith? He wasn't one of those countless stars that died of a drug overdose or lifelong addiction problems.  As far as we know, he's not one of the stars who falls in lust with each co-star and jumps from bed to bed as he goes from movie set to movie set.  He has a wife and a beautiful family and I find it sad that our culture would find him to square and rip him as many times as they do; but they wouldn't if he were twice divorced, in and out of rehab, etc.  That would put him in the "Hollywood in crowd"  I went to school with this guy who was an atheist and was asked to be a guest on Kirk Cameron's Way of the Master radio show.  He was treated well and wasn't put down at all.

Christian bashing on prime time network TV is nothing new and sadly, I've kind of become use to it.  I'm all for edgy, challenge everyone's prospective in story telling but at this point, wouldn't that be doing the opposite of how they did it? 

The university I went to was a state school but most of the science professors were evangelical Christians.  They taught Darwin but in an open minded non hostile way and those who didn't agree weren't looked down on at all.  In astronomy we watched Carl Sagan's entire cosmos series and everyone enjoyed it.  The professor showed us an episode every Tuesday and we always looked forward to "Tuesdays with Carl."  After astronomy we would all head for the Christian student union where they served us a free lunch and had a short lesson.  It was hosted by a different church in town each week.  My college experience was as far away from the book burners from the Family Guy episode as you could get.  How would something like that be for turning the viewer's perspective on it's ear?

Soapbox time for me is over.

sheldor

Rico