• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Majel Barrett Roddenberry Dies At 76

Started by spidey27, December 18, 2008, 01:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spidey27

Majel Barrett Roddenberry, who entertained generations of fans through her various roles in Star Trek, and widow of Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry, died Thursday morning at home. She was 76.
Mrs. Roddenberry had leukemia, a family spokesman told SyFy Portal. The "First Lady of Star Trek" was surrounded by friends and her son, Eugene Roddenberry Jr.

X

Wow! That's sad to hear. I think that her voice being in the new movie will make it that much more must see for me.

Geekyfanboy

Geekyfanboy

Remembering Majel Barrett Roddenberry
December 18, 2008 by Michael Hickerson   || Category: Human Interest, TV

Majel Barrett Roddenberry who played Nurse Chapel on classic "Star Trek" and Lwaxana Troi on "Star Trek: The Next Generation" and "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" has passed away at the age of 76 according to the Associated Press.  Roddenberry was the widow of Trek creator Gene Roddenberry,  died Thursday of leukemia at her home in Bel-Air, Calif., her representative said.

According to reports, she was surrounded by her family friends and her only son, Eugene Roddenberry Jr. Gene Roddenberry died in 1991.

Roddenberry was cast as the original Number One in the pilot of "Star Trek", "The Cage."  When NBC wanted the series retooled, Barrett Roddenberry's character was one of those written out of the series, but the actress returned to play Nurse Chapel, who harbored a crush on the Vulcan, Mr. Spock.  Roddenberry also served as the computer voice for each starship named Enterprise in "Star Trek" and all of its spin-offs.  We will have news on this week's show about Roddenberry's continued involvement in that role in the upcoming J.J. Abrams reboot.

Her romance with Roddenberry earned her the title The First Lady of "Star Trek".

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Roddenberry family during this time.

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2008/12/18/remembering-majel-barrett-roddenberry/

Bromptonboy

Terrible news.  It is great that they gave her a nod as the computer voice in the upcoming movie.
Pete

moyer777

She was such a bright spot in the Star Trek Universe.  She will be forever missed.  How sad.  My thoughts and prayers are with her family.  :(

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bryancd

I'm so glad she had the chance to voice the computer in the new Star Trek movie so we can hear her voice one more time. Rest in peace, Number One.  :'(

billybob476

Wow, I am completely taken aback by this, especially with the news she was the computer voice in the movie. Very sad news.

jedijeff

Sad news, was not aware she was sick. Rest in Peace

Darth Gaos

Wow...I like many did not realize she was ill.  R.I.P. Mrs Rodenberry.  Your voice and wonderful characters will live forever.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Bryancd

A beautiful, strong, and intelligent woman. I liked her more as a brunette.  :wub

Rico

Sad news indeed.  Majel was a very nice and classy lady.  Her influence on Star Trek and Gene was great.  She will be missed.

Vartok

For me she was one of my favorite characters in the Next Generation she appeared as Lwaxana Troi, mother of Counselor Deanna Troi and daughter of the Fifth House, the Holder of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx, and Heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed!

Java The Hut

I had a chance to meet her a few times, She was a real class act with the fans, and she will be missed  :(

I has a web-sight AGAIN
www.scifi-autograph.com
showcasing my SciFi Autograph collection

Ktrek

Majel Barrett never knew that she was a part of my life for 42 years but she was! I'm gonna miss her!

Rest in Peace Majel!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine