• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Our Next President

Started by Geekyfanboy, January 21, 2008, 12:35:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

I think they say there are two things you should never talk about in a group, Politics and Religion. Well I figure this group is made up of some very level headed and mature folks and I'm interested in hearing who everyone is going to vote for?

So here is the question.. if you live in the United States and you are going to vote (there should be no reason not to vote if you are of age) Who are you going to vote for to be our next President and Why??

Let's try and keep this civil as everyone has there opinions. If it gets too heated or mean I'll just delete the thread...  :vampire

Jen

This could get touchy. Don't throw things at me...I am a Registered Republican and I am not sure who I'm voting for—I'm not pleased with any of the candidates, Republican or Democrat.

I really don't want to debate as I'm very, very, very weary of politics and political bickering from both conservatives and liberals. Of course, I'm speaking to my fellow countrymen here, but we are all Americans. I wish we could stop calling each other out because we disagree. That being said, I believe we need to remain diligent as a country. Whether we like it or not there are people who hate us and will not stop trying to find a way to hurt us...no matter who's in power. They don't care if we're Republican, Democrat, Independent, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Jews, Klingons, Ferengis or Blue Milk Drinkers. And, I think many of the candidates are just telling us what they think we want to hear so they can get elected... many of them are crooked and I wouldn't trust them with my purse. I don't think they are very serious about keeping us safe.

Politics stinks... I hate it... I wish we could just get an honest leader who has the strength to say "no" to the corruption of Washington and the World and do right by our country. As Forest Gump would say "that's all I have to say 'bout that."
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Bryancd

That's so funny, I have been thinking about staring a thread about the elections as I too felt we could have a very civil discourse in our little community here. I'm glad to see this thread posted by one of the Moderators.

Anyhoo, I am also a Republican, a economic conservative with a much more moderate social view. I actually identify more with the Libertarian Party but they have been so marginalized as to be ineffective. I'm a big states rights guy and often point out that our nation was founded on the ideals of a Republic which have been lost in big government. Of all the Republican's I like Ron Paul the most for his views but he lacks the presence to lead. I think McCain is very principled and I have a lot of respect for his years of service to our country but worry about his age. I don't trust Romney as far as I could throw him and Huckabee is a little too church vs. state. I worked in NYC during the Rudy years and was in mid town on 9/11, so I saw first hand what he did during those awful days. having said that, I just don't know if he is the right man for the job. So for now  I am split between Rudy and McCain in my support.

I think the Democratic race is a real barn burnner. I think they will eventually nominate Hillary, who I think is a political opportunist but the same could be said for all of them. She just rubs me the wrong way ever since her initial foray into health care. Not matter who the Republican's nominate, I don't think any of them can beat her, so she will be the next President of the United States.

davekill

I was surprised to hear on a national news program this morning that U.S. citizens can vote from outside our country's boarders (not just the deployed troops and military stationed overseas).
This election could become mired in lawsuits again before it's done.

I too am a conservative Republican.

Rico

As the politicians like to say, no comment.

X

I was a Republican for like 10 years and decided to switch just to see what's up.

I detest Romney because I live in Boston and when I see him talk, I hear the lies he spews and just don't like him.

I don't like Clinton either because I can't trust her for some reason.

McCain and Obama are the two that I like the most.

moyer777

I'm voting for Picard and Riker.

:)

I don't know who to vote for yet, like Jen said, most politicians are so corrupt that it is pointless. 

So, I will research the issues and where they stand on them, then pray about it when we have both of the candidates picked. 

Either way, I hope the American people make the best out of their lives and help others, regardless of who is president.

my two cents.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Geekyfanboy

Thanks everyone for keeping this civil.. I knew we could.

I am, as most would guess a registered Democrat. Though I don't agree with all Democrat policies and I do like some of the Republican polices. I think I have a unique prospective since I think I'm the only "gay" person on the forums, at least openly :) When I look at a candidate I have to weight in on there take on the "gay" issue. Most Republicans are anti-gay to some degree. Be it there own beliefs or those of their party. I could never vote for a Republican for that reason.

Immigration is another big part of my life since my partner is from Austria and since they won't allow me to sponsor him since we legally can't get married we deal with his immigration status everyday worried that he will be deported at any moment. It's not the way I wanted to spend our lives together but for now it's the best we can do.

Of course I look at the big picture when voting, but for me when I pick a candidate I think about the things that will effect me the most. I'm currently stuck between Clinton and Obama I agree with both on a lot of there policies, I'd be happy with either one but to be honest we need to find one that will beat the Republican candidate and I think Clinton has a better chance then Obama.

Ktrek

I personally would like to see a viable third party candidate come forward because I think this is actually the first time in history that a third party could actually win.

On the Republican side I cannot honestly say I like any of the candidates.

On the Democratic side I absolutely cannot stand Hillery. She's much too scary for me and would be an unstable influence in the office. I do think that it's high time for a woman in high office but I just don't think she is the one. Obama seems like a nice enough man. I do not agree with all of his politics but he would be a better choice than Hillary. Unfortunately it seems that Edwards does not have a chance because he would get my vote if he did.

So...If it comes down to a race with Hillary as the Dem's choice I will vote for anyone before I would vote for her.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

KingIsaacLinksr

I'm going to just say this, I have issues with McCain and I think he rubbed Republicans the wrong way with his anti-republican ideas. 

Now that I've said that. 

I'm hopefully going to get my right to vote set-up soon.  Even though I declare myself Republican, I refuse to align myself with any party.  I think that both parties have lost their ways and both are corrupt.  No offense to present party of course.  Both are just fighting amongst each-other and getting nothing done.  Not to mention that neither party has kept any of their promises. 

I know this seems like a rather harsh view, but I've seen nothing but fighting between the parties.  And its hurting us more than helping. 

As for candidates.  I'm going to say that, to be honest, even if Clinton is voted from the primaries as the main candidate, she WILL lose the election.  (Unless the Republican one is incredibly bad).  She is just too polarized for people to accept.  Now, I'm also saying this lightly, I don't think the USA is ready for a woman president.  Especially since the people of the USA do not think that reelecting the same family back into power is a good idea.  (I.E. The Bush Family).  As for Obama, I'm sorry, but I cannot respect him as I've seen him do things that make me sad.  Such as not saluting the USA flag or respecting the Pledge of Allegiance.  That above all else makes me never want to respect him as a US possible leader.  As a typical person, I can respect his judgement and his free will.  But if he is to be the next leader, he has to be respectful of the US ways.
The republicans I think have a chance of being reelected since the democrats don't really offer much cept Hillary and Obama and neither are very hopeful. 

King

P.S. remember, I say this as opinion.  I won't ignore you or say bad things or think that your opinion doesn't count.  I'm just stating my own, not to step on other people. 
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on January 21, 2008, 02:29:41 PM
I'm the only "gay" person on the forums, at least openly :) 

I am still laughing from that one!!!  :roflmao

markinro

Voting for the best man for the job

Blackride

I am a hardcore Republican and want McCain. I think he has a nice track record and also tells it like it is. He is know for pissing people off instead of going with the flow. I am not really a Romney fan as I do not like his tactics attacking Hucabee.

Kenny, I do have to say one thing and take it for what it is worth being I am a Republican and all. I think there is a general mis-conception that most Republicans are anti-gay, which I do not think is quiet accurate. It is more accurate imo to say the Republicans are anti-gay marriage. I think there is a huge difference in this as saying that Republicans are anti-gay really places a "scarlet letter" around our necks which I think is unfounded. I hope this comment does not offend you and I really do not want to get into a discussion on why the Republicans don't think gay's should marry. That is not my intention of this comment. It was mearly an attempt to make sure that there is a distinction made between anti-gay and anti-gay marriage.

I am also a hardcore fiscal Republican and I can't stand the Clinton ideas on the economy nor do I like Bush's stimulus package. Both are way to short-sighted. We need to focus on the long-term and ignore the media pushing ( talking ) us into a recession.

Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Bryancd

Yes, Bush has been the worst fiscal Republican of all time. He spends like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

X

Quote from: Kinglinksr on January 21, 2008, 03:09:52 PM
Such as not saluting the USA flag or respecting the Pledge of Allegiance. 

I actually haven't heard this yet. When did he do that? Also, why would he salute the flag when he's not military? I think I might be missing something, so I'm just looking for some clarity.