• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Best DS9 episode

Started by Warren Berry, November 03, 2007, 01:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

I haven't watched a lot of DS9, but I think it's one of my favorite ST series now. I love the range of characters and their progressive development. The stories are almost always well written and acted. I agree with Joby, I lost interest it came to the Bajoran stories early on—I guess that's why I'm revisiting it so many years after the series ended. I don't have a problem with Nana Visitor's acting, I think it's far better than Robert Beltran and a few other actors who have had roles on other ST series.

My favorite episodes thus far:
...Nor the Battle to the Strong: Jake is traveling with Dr. Bashir on a runabout to write an essay about the physician, when they receive a distress call from a Federation colony under attack by the Klingons. Awesome story of courage.

Looking for Par'Mach in all the Wrong Places
: revolves around how Quark came to marry a Klingon and is the start of Worf and Jadzia's romance. I think Quark is my favorite character on DS9 and I love any of the episodes that feature him prominently.

Bar Association: Bashir suggests to Rom that he found a union to enforce higher salaries and sick leave.

The Sword of Kahless:
Worf and Jadzia join the famed old warrior Kor on the quest for the Sword of Kahless. Worf is my other favorite character on DS9 and I like these episodes for the same reason I like Quark's.

Sons of Mogh:
Disgraced because of Worf's refusal to follow Gowron, Kurn demands that his brother kill him in the Mauk-to'Vor ritual.

Rules of Engagement:
Worf is on trial for destroying an unarmed transport vessel.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

markinro

...Nor the Battle to the Strong.  It was just on Spike a few days ago.  It was neat to see Jakes character develop over the 7 years

billybob476

My wife and I watched "The Visitor" a few nights ago. I have to agree with Rico from a few pages back. This is an amazingly written and acted episode. My wife was in tears a few times and I was getting pretty choked up myself.

It may not be an amazing episode in the spirit of Trek, but it was an amazing and moving story. I really like the relationship of Jake and Ben. They have a very strong bond but that never stops Jake from just being a teenager.

I'm glad that DS9 had some writers who had a clue about how to write for children/teenagers. Wesley really got the short end of the stick when it came to that.

vavu2001

Far Beyond The Stars gets my vote. The last line of that episode is perhaps one of the most profoundly self-aware things ever said on television.

Space Patrol!
High adventures in the wild, vast reaches of space,
Missions of daring in the name of interplanetary justice,
Travel into the future with Buzz Cory, Commander and Chief of the Space Patrol!

space_invader64

I like the ones where they do things unethical.  Like pale moonlight, blood oath, and that one where Odo let an Innocent person be executed.  I liked it because it shows that characters have a dark side and the future isn't as perfect as TNG made it out to be.

davekill

Deep Space Nine was certainly darker than Next Gen. with more characters too.
Always thought the Cardasians where far more interesting than the Klingons, maybe because their military and culture was better explored in DS9.
The Cardasians would have made a better advisory in Star Trek VI "The Undiscovered Country" if you follow the Cold War metaphor. I believe they, not the Klingons more closely resemble the (former?) Soviet Union - but I digress.

My vote for best DS9 episode is "The Wire".
Garrack turns in a stellar performance and doesn't hyperventilate like Cisco.
Beyond the Stars was awesome and a close second

billybob476

Well Klingons and Cardassians are different types of villains. Klingons are warriors, Cardassians are the villains from a Bond movie.

space_invader64

The Jem Hadar were really bad.  I liked the makeup.

davekill

Quote from: billybob476 on November 25, 2007, 05:30:32 PM
Well Klingons and Cardassians are different types of villains. Klingons are warriors, Cardassians are the villains from a Bond movie.

So true, a Klingon would kill you where you stood with honor (All lightning and thunder).

A Cardassian would kill your family and charge you for the bullets, then years later murder you in your sleep.

No wonder DS9 was so dark and gritty.  :-\

davekill

Quote from: space_invader64 on November 25, 2007, 05:39:44 PM
The Jem Hadar were really bad.  I liked the makeup.

Jeffrey Combs played Wayoun, who controlled the Jem Hadar is a favorite actor on Star Trek

also played: Commander Shran and Brunt

space_invader64

And the guy who wanted an hour with Kira on the holosweet.

I would rather have an hour with Dax.  Who wasn't that picky!  So the real Dax would probably accept an innovation to the holosweet with anyone but doctor Bashier.

psikeyhackr

I think DS9 is the best ot the Treks

Rapture is my favorite episode.

Beyond the Pale Moonlight and The Wire are great too.

Gerrak is my favorite character.

The Federation is just so idealistically goody goody it can be annoying.  DS9 trashed that a lot.  The Kira in the mirror universe was really hot too.  LOL

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling

wraith1701

Quote from: psikeyhackr on November 29, 2007, 09:02:14 PM
...The Kira in the mirror universe was really hot too.  LOL

psik

LOL Agreed!

I've been re-watching DS9 over the past couple of weeks, and I am frankly amazed at how well the show holds up.  I always loved the episodes taking place after the end of season 2- "The Jem'Hadar" marks when the show really hit its stride.  Weird thing is, I find that I'm also enjoying the episodes of season 1 and 2 as well; more so than I did when I first watched them.  I guess I was too young to appreciate them when I first saw them.