• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Best DS9 episode

Started by Warren Berry, November 03, 2007, 01:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

space_invader64

My favorite star trek TV show will depend on what kind of mood I’m in.

TNG, DS9 and VOY roughly had almost the same number of episodes.  But DS9 covered so much ground and the audience gets to know all of these characters really well. Also, we get to know all of these side characters.  Voyager had a weak cast of characters that covered very little ground.

wraith1701

I like this thread!

I love DS9.  It's hard to settle on one episode as my favorite, since I like a lot of different ones for different reasons.  At the moment, I'd have to say that one of my favorites is "In The Pale Moonlight".  I liked the style in which the story was told; having the entire narrative be Sisko's confession was a pretty cool idea.  I also liked the fact that the story wasn't resolved in a neat and tidy fashion-- It was an interesting exploration of the lines some people are willing to cross to achieve their goals.  I also like the fact that despite his claims to the contrary, Sisko doesn't escape his decisions unscathed. 

billybob476

I think the better question with DS9 is which story arc is your favourite. It was ahead of its time in this regard, now that I think about it there are a lot of parallels that can be run between DS9 and the new Battlestar in terms of narrative style.

Jobydrone

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on November 05, 2007, 10:57:23 AM
WOW.. I use to like you Jobydrone :) But now you are dissing my favorite Trek Voyager. :)

haha, Kenny ;) It's all relative, of course.  I would almost always watch an ep of Voyager before most anything else on commercial TV.  I just much prefer TNG and TOS in the grand scheme of things. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

X

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on November 05, 2007, 10:25:15 AM
*spoiler warning*

DS9 will always rank near the bottom, along with Voyager, in the order of my preference of the Star Trek Series, but I will acknowledge there have been some really great episodes of that show, particularly once Worf joined the cast.  I think the one I remember liking the most was later in the series, deep into the Dominion War, when it was revealed that Gowron had been replaced by a Founder and that the Klingon High Council was compromised.  I'm probably misremembering the plot details, it's been a while since I've seen any of those shows.  Also Trials and Tribbleations is one of my extreme favorites.  What a great job they did with that episode.

You are of course refering to "Apocalypse Rising"

space_invader64

I think that DS9 is an acquired taste.  Depending on my mood my favorate show will either be DS9 or TNG.

I think that Voyager was able to stay on the air because of good writing.  I don't think most of those characters were as good as those of the other shows but it was interesting to see them in cool situations.  That's what kept me watching.  I did like the doctor and tom paris.  For most of the characters I think they said, what have we not done yet?

X

Pound for pound, I think that DS9 followed by Enterprise gave the Star Trek universe the best story progression of all the series. While I didn't agree with everything that was done on Enterprise, I find that their adapting the timeline to incorporate the Borg and other changes in the timeline after First Contact worked well.

I think that I have always been a huge fan of cause and effect and it was only on these to shows that it was consistently shown that if you screw with time, things change. Other shows that dealt with time didn't have any follow through with time.

I do love how the computer age in voyager's story was create by recovered future technology in the past, while it addressed the whole 90's era. It sort of ignored the Eugenics wars that was suposed to be happening at the same time and no explination on screen was provided.

On DS9 and Enterprise, there seemed to be a better understanding on how do apply cause and effect not only on timeline stories, but also on the shape of the shows in general.

Too many things were discovered in voyager and TNG only to never/hardly ever find use on any other show. DS9 and Enterprise seemed to work harder to make the stories a part of the universe instead of stories told in the universe.

billybob476

Also I believe that TOS and TNG episodes were written to be encapsulated shows. Most of the time, you could turn on an episode of those two series and understand what is going on. I am under the impression that this was a goal for the series. Enterprise and DS9 definitely do not follow this. Voyager has one over arching story (them trying to get home) but as long as you know that, you ca pretty much jump in anywhere except for a few character heavy episodes (Kes mostly I'd say).

space_invader64

The episodes where they almost find a way home made me think that Voyager should be called Gilligan's Starship.

X

I think unpredictability was one of the main reasons DS9 and Enterprise are in my top favorites, followed by TOS. Don't get me wrong, I love Voyager and TNG as well, but I think that there were way too many "Janeway loses the ship" / "Wesley saves the day" type stories. As a point of fact, I don't think that any of the shows that many people see as theri favorites even fall into those groups, but they had so many of them.

Another aspected I enjoyed was the fact that the NX-01 actually was damaged and needed repairs and didn't always recover each week to end in pristine condition. No matter what happened to Voyager and despite all of the limited supplies, they managed to begin the next week with the ship in near perfect condition. That's one of the main issues that I had with Voyager. They didn't have a spacedock to make these repairs and I am glad that Enterprise took the time and effort to attempt to show the ship getting banged up not recoving by the end of the show.

johnsemlak

My favorite episodes are 'Duet' and 'Necessary Evil'.  Funnily enough both are Kira-centric episodes, who I remember constantly got bashed by my friends for her acting early in the series. 

Jobydrone

Just X has expressed exactly the things I loved about Enterprise that kept me watching every week. 

DS9 was too much like a soap opera in space for my taste, not that there's anything wrong with that per se, but I had a hard time with some of the characters. 

Quote from: johnsemlak on November 07, 2007, 06:59:08 PM
My favorite episodes are 'Duet' and 'Necessary Evil'.  Funnily enough both are Kira-centric episodes, who I remember constantly got bashed by my friends for her acting early in the series. 

I know some people will be upset by this statement, and please remember that it's just an opinion, but I really can't stand the character of Kira Nerys or the whole Bajoran story arc in general, and I completely agree about Nana Visitors acting.  The many episodes early on during DS9 that involved the religious order and political intrigue on Bajor left me bored and thinking "Really? Who gives a $#%@?"  I think the show got much better later on in the series but it lost me pretty early and I never really got hooked in.  Some of the other characters kind of bugged me too. Bashir and Odo I never really found very interesting.  Rom was out and out annoying.  It's too bad, really, because there were elements I really loved in that show, like the whole concept of the Trill, Dax's relationship with Worf, Sisko's being torn between raising Jake as a single dad and running the station at the same time, and anything with Colm Meany as O'Brien. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

billybob476

I just watched "Civil Defense" last night, where O'Brien, Jake and Sisko trip the station's "worker revolt" system. Not a very deep episode, but a lot of fun, especially after Dukat shows up!

Kind of reminds me of the TNG ep "Disaster" but with more humour. Then again, Picard singing Frere Jacques was pretty good too.

space_invader64

I love pale moonlight.  But I'm sure Gene Roddenberry would have hated it.  What do you guys think?

Darth Gaos

I love DS9 for exactly the reason that Billybob stated.  From a technogeek standpoint I loved the show even more after the station received the USS Defiant (one of, if not, the coolest starship EVER!).

Trials and Tribble-ations is probably my favorite from a sheer enjoyment standpoint.  That episode was simply the most fun of the series.  There are others I love for different reasons but that one stands out the most.

The only minor complaint I have about DS9 kinda speaks to something Kenny said which was "Trek at its best" when describing Far Beyond the Stars.  While that is a fantastically written and acted episode, it lacked the subtlety of other Trek episodes when discussing social issues.  Does that make sense?  I always loved watching TOS or TNG and noodling out the fact that I just learned something or I just had my eyes opened to a different view of an issue in society or a current event.  That seemed to be the exception more than the rule with DS9.   Maybe too I was older when watching DS9 than I was when TNG was first run and I was seeing TOS in syndication, I don't know.  Maybe the "moral of the story" was more obvious to those who were watching TNG and TOS when they were older.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?