• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

The Promise

Started by Chief, April 23, 2007, 06:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief

Some months ago, a friend of mine told me about The Promise, a Chinese movie directed by Kaige Chen, the director of Goodbye My Concubine.

The twist on The Promise is that it's a martial arts faerie movie, which is a genre I simply love.

I was eager to see this film because I just knew visually it was going to be astonishing, and I wasn't wrong.

The movie begins with a fantastic premise. There's this little girl who is so poor and desperate that she has to go to battle fields to ransack the bodies of fallen soldiers, to scavenge for food and clothes. Then a goddess sees the girl tells her that she can make all the hunger go away. That she will be very beautiful and rich... but (there's always a but) every man she'll love will die in exchange.

Time passes and the girl grows to be a beautiful princess that falls in love and... and I won't go any further because I don't want to spoil you. Suffice it to say that The Promise is a great movie, very well written and has most impressive visuals.

It's out on DVD now, so go get it! I think you'll like it.

I know many of us like fantasy too, so this one is a must. So very different from what we are used to.

"The Needs Of The Many, Out Weigh The Needs Of The Few, Or The One..."
Mr. Spock

Darkmolerman

sounds cool adn abit odd...but cool i hope i get to see it :)
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper