• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

DS9 - Far Beyond the Stars

Started by Geekyfanboy, March 14, 2007, 12:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

I've been on a DS9 kick while being out of work and I've been re-watching episodes. I started with Season Five and I'm about halfway through Season Six when I came across one of my all time favorite DS9 and for that matter Star Trek episode. "Far Beyond the Stars". This episode moved me so much that I had to just share it with you guys. Here is a synopsis for those who haven't seen this episode.

After a friend's ship is destroyed and Sisko considers leaving Starfleet, he begins having visions of his crew as 1950s Americans. Bashir's examination reveals unusual synaptic patterns, but before Sisko can discuss treatment, he finds himself in 1953 New York City as Benny Russell, a writer for a science-fiction magazine. Fellow staffers resemble O'Brien, Kira, Bashir, Dax, and Quark in human form, and their editor, Pabst, looks like a human Odo. Writing assignments are given as illustrations, and each writer creates a story to fit their drawing. Benny's illustration is a crude version of Deep Space Nine.
Benny writes of Captain Benjamin Sisko and his space station, Deep Space Nine. He shows the story to his girlfriend, Cassie (Kasidy Yates) and to the others at work. While everyone is impressed, Pabst refuses to publish it, telling Sisko that his readers will not accept a Negro man as the head of a space station.

That night, Benny encounters a preacher (Joseph Sisko) who urges him to "write the words." He pens another story starring Ben Sisko.

Benny returns to work determined to see his stories published. Albert (O'Brien) suggests making the first story a dream, and Pabst agrees that a young Negro man's vision of a better future is acceptable. That night, Benny's celebration with Cassie turns ugly. First, the preacher warns him of trouble ahead. Then, after two malicious police officers (Dukat and Weyoun) kill a Negro teenager (Jake Sisko), they turn on Benny and beat him mercilessly.

Weeks later, the day Benny's story is to be published, Pabst breaks the news that the magazine's owner refused to distribute the issue â€" and that Benny has been fired. Devastated and at the breaking point, Benny tearfully declares that Ben Sisko and his future are real and cannot be destroyed. He is taken away in an ambulance, where he finds the preacher comforting him, then he wakes up on Deep Space Nine as Sisko again. Told he was unconscious only a few minutes, his brain readings have now returned to normal. Encouraged by his dream and its message, Sisko decides to stay with Starfleet and Deep Space Nine.

This is truly TREK at its best.. this is what Gene Rodenberry had in mind when he created Star Trek. The writing and the acting was FANTASTIC. Avery Brooks portrayal of Benny was moving, it had me in tears at the end. It's hard to believe that people acted that way only 50 years ago and many still do to this day.  I really love this episode because I can relate... Being a gay man I can understand some of what Benny goes through, the snide remarks, the funny looks, and name calling. I face prejudice everyday but one thing I can do that Benny can not is hide it when I know it will cause a problem. My difference is on the inside and can be hidden if needed, but being Black is an outwardly difference and can not be hidden. I said this in my "why I love star trek" comments on a recent podcast.. This is why I love Trek so much. Trek has always been colorblind, Trek didn't care if you were different. I know there are many examples of this through out all the Trek series but this one is by far one of the best.

Rico

It is a great episode Kenny.  Loved covering it on the podcast awhile back.  Everyone should get a chance to see this episode.  Many could benefit from it's message.

Geekyfanboy

Yes that's another great episode.. well the entire last season is great of DS9

matagin

It is an incredible episode.  It also makes you think "what if" the whole DS9 world is just the imagination of some writer from the 1950s.  Kind of freaky!  Kind of like when they have someone wake up from a dream and the dream was the entire season.  I think Dallas did that with the "Who Shot JR?" episode.