• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

TOS Cosplay at 2013 Austin Comic Con

Started by Jen, August 14, 2013, 12:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

WARNING, GEEK GIRL POST AHEAD. EXPECT TO READ STUFF ABOUT HAIR AND MAKE UP, IN RELATION TO COSPLAYING TOS CHARACTERS.

Hi Rico! Hi TSF guys and gals. Angela and I had an Anomaly Podcast booth last year at Austin Comic Con, and we're working on getting one this year too (Nov 22, 23, 24). Are any of you going? We'd love to meet you. We still won't know for a month or so if we will be granted another table (fingers crossed), but we'll be there nonetheless, especially since William Shatner will be in attendance! Good grief, last year we saw Patrick Stewart, this year Shatner? Maybe we should retire from cons after this, as we would have seen the heavy weights of geek fandom. ;) That said, Stan Lee and Jewel Staite, among others, will be there. Hopefully Kaylee will find it in her heart to give us a liner for our show.

Because the Shat will be at Austin Comic Con, Angela and I will be cosplaying with a group of our friends as TOS officers. Kasey, from Anomaly Supplemental, as well as two of our best friends, Jen and Stephanie, who are always in our vidcasts, will make up our band of Anomalous miniskirts.

Last year's Austin Comic Con was our first major convention. We didn't cosplay the entire time, we wore our Anomaly Shirts and  came away feeling like we should have dressed up more. It would not only be more fun to cosplay, but Angela and I, having studied the other booths around us, feel like it would also entice more folks (guys and gals) to stop to talk with us. We figure having a BIG group like ours, all dressed in coordinating outfits, would make people curious. :) Don't get me wrong, people talked to us last year, but because we were dressed like drug reps in our uber professional Anomaly button down shirts, people thought we were selling something, if they didn't automatically recognize our show.

Here's the reason for my warning: because we're Anomalies (a blend of girly and geeky) we're very excited about the 60's hair and make up portion of our TOS cosplay. One friend, Jen, is a hair and make-up artist, so we're in good hands. We already started a Pinterest board and have pretty much decided on hair styles. Pinterest is addicting.

We're also looking for as many affordable TOS props as we can get our hands on. Angela and I have TOS communicators and I think she has a tribble. But I'm thinking of getting a Geological Tricorder. I found one for a fairly good price, by Diamond Select. Have any of you purchased this? Is it any good? I don't want a piece of junk, but I'm not looking for Grade A quality either.

And by that token, have any of you bought this TOS duty uniform dress? Angela and I are both buying red since it's our podcast colors and we're going to have our picture taken with the Shat, so we want to coordinate. See? Girly geeky. :D  Our other friends are opting for blue or gold.

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Bryancd

Hey Jen, Avanos is the current gold standard for TOS costumes but they are not cheap.

http://www.anovos.com/star-trek-tos/star-trek-tos-blue-science-dress/

Diamond Select/Art Asylum is your best bet fro props. I have an extra tricorder that the lights and sound don't work that I can contribute to your cosplay if you or one of the gals pays the shipping. :)

Jen

Oh yeah, Avanos rocks... sort of out of our price range though. Cosplay Sky is where we're thinking of buying. They sell the dress posted above. We had a chance to examine the quality of their First Contact/Nemisis duty uniforms while we were at Comic Con last year (we made friends with the Trek costume clubs in the booths near ours). They were very nice and the guys really liked them. Just didn't see anyone in a TOS dress from Cosplay Sky. If we had the time, I think I'd by a pattern from Roddenberry.com. I bought TNG uniform patterns from the show, off that site. Angela has yet to make them. :) 

You'd be willing to sell us your tricorder for just the shipping cost? That's so nice of you! I will ask the gals, see if one of them is interested. I bet Kasey would jump on that. Thanks for offering, Bryan. 
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Bryancd

You bet! It's the Medical Tricorder.

Rico

Awesome idea!  If you want/need a decent TOS phaser prop replica, shoot me an address and I'll get one sent to you all. 

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on August 14, 2013, 04:12:03 PM
Awesome idea!  If you want/need a decent TOS phaser prop replica, shoot me an address and I'll get one sent to you all. 

And if you need more phasers on the cheap, get these, they just need a re-paint.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Classic-Phaser-Gun/dp/B0029F1WO2

Rico

Now, I really want to get to this con even more than last year. Now where did I put my uniform tunic? :)

Jen

That's awesome guys! Thanks, I may take you both up on those offers. Brian, one of our friends is a nurse in real life, she's decided she's going to wear blue, so that medical tricorder might be a good buy for her. I'll see if she is interested.

Rico, if you come down we'll let you hang out at our booth. It was good to have a home base at the con, not only because we could meet and greet and people watch, but because we could stash our snacks and backpack and rest our feet. :)

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

Jen

Brian, you have a taker on that medical tricorder. Let me know what you think the shipping cost will be, and give me a Paypal address or something and I'll have her send you the money and give you an address. :) Thanks!

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Bryancd

Quote from: Jen on August 16, 2013, 10:21:33 AM
Brian, you have a taker on that medical tricorder. Let me know what you think the shipping cost will be, and give me a Paypal address or something and I'll have her send you the money and give you an address. :) Thanks!

Shoot me the address so I can give an estimate.  :thumbsup

Jen

Thanks Bryan. I will PM it to you.

On a separate note, I just ordered the Diamond Select geology tricorder, with a phaser, for 21 bucks on Amazon. Pretty good deal, especially since I see just the tricorder all over the place for about 60. The price differences between venders is so weird. Are they price gouging?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0E1U3M/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Amazing deal! Amazon has had some great discounts on the props lately.

Bryancd

I just bought it! Thanks for the heads up!!!

Jen

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast