• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Spielberg's TV series Terra Nova Series coming this fall

Started by Danieru_x, January 12, 2011, 07:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on March 06, 2012, 02:31:20 PM
Quote from: KingIsaacLinksr on March 06, 2012, 10:41:08 AM
Quote from: Rico on March 06, 2012, 08:42:09 AM
Just to be clear, this is probably the highest rated series that will be canceled this season.  It averaged 10 million viewers per episode (a number most networks and shows would love to have).  While I feel the show got off to a rocky start, I think it greatly improved and found focus.  Who knows - maybe another network will actually pick it up.

So....that raises the question of why it wasn't good enough for renewal.  If it was getting so many views per episode, why did it still get cancelled?  Does that mean its just the whims of Fox?  I may not like Terra Nova, but if that many views isn't enough, what is?

And @Al, yeah, I can do a good one once in a while hehe. 

King

One of the comments in some of the articles is that "the powers that be" at Fox were not really behind the series.  Much of the time keeping a series on air isn't just about the ratings.  I can think of several lower rated series that did manage to survive cancellation because the networks liked them.  "30 Rock" is a good example.  I like the show a lot, but the ratings have never been great but NBC suits like the show.  In the end it isn't ever just about ratings.

But...they're into the business of making money and they take a show off the air that is apparently making money.  This....makes absolutely no sense to me.  I get that it didn't have support of the powers that be, but your making $$.  Granted, if they have something they think will do better, then that makes some sense.  This, just doesn't. 

Its why I'm glad I'm getting out of new TV shows altogether.  After Fringe is done/cancelled, Netflix all the way. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

It's hard to say how much money it was making - if at all.  A new series is very expensive to start up and produce.  One of the reasons I always find it crazy when shows get canned after just a few episodes.  But at least this series got one shortened season.

Feathers

I don't know how anyone can really judge episode by episode what makes money and what doesn't. With a new show you've got all the setup costs and initial sets to cover that ou can then reuse later on so almost by definition you should lose money on a first run series.

I fuss it's all a matter of degree. Somewhere, someone has a figure in their head of how much is 'enough' to be made by a series and if that falls short then we all wave bye-bye.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

ChrisMC

Yeah, it's weird. But I would guess that the budget also has to do with where they are shooting (Australia I think) costs incurred for travel to and there, effects (even though they seemed to limit dinos ALOT). I think it also comed sown to the fact that no one at a network can seem to get behind a sci-fi show. Maybe if the dinosaurs had fairy wings. Fairy tales are in vogue now, anyway.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

KingIsaacLinksr

That would definitely be good for Netflix to pick up.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Dangelus

Interesting although I can't really see the motivation for Netflix. If it was a hit show with great ratings then they might pick up a few extra subsribers. Although if it was a hit Fox wouldn't have dropped it...

Also I'm guessing the type of people into a show like this probably already use Netflix... Maybe they're just being nice to the fans?

ChrisMC

Quote from: Dangelus on March 08, 2012, 11:17:40 AM
Interesting although I can't really see the motivation for Netflix. If it was a hit show with great ratings then they might pick up a few extra subsribers. Although if it was a hit Fox wouldn't have dropped it...

Also I'm guessing the type of people into a show like this probably already use Netflix... Maybe they're just being nice to the fans?
10 million viewers is alot of people though and teh chances they all have Netflix is slim, and a subscription-based system like Netflix ALWAYS wants new subscribers...If they have enough good original programming that gets people talking their subscription base would increase. Not to mention people who canceled their service after the price hike. I think it's the right move for them. There's an orginal show on there called "Lilyhammer" starring Steven VanZandt from the Soranos...he plays a mobster who goes into hiding in Norway. It's very well done. I am very excited by original shows no longer coming from tradition TV.

Feathers

Do you really think they could afford it? Something that must be pretty CG heavy still costs real money even if it's vastly cheaper than it used to be. Can a subscription service really fund it?

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

ChrisMC

Quote from: Feathers on March 08, 2012, 01:51:38 PM
Do you really think they could afford it? Something that must be pretty CG heavy still costs real money even if it's vastly cheaper than it used to be. Can a subscription service really fund it?
Well, they PROFITED 40.7 million in Q4 of 2011, so they'd have to be willing to give up a substantial amount of their profit for original programming with any sort of budget. It's a risky venture for sure.

Dangelus

These sort of shows cost over a million per episode though don't they?

And LillyHammer was licensed by Netflix exclusively, they didn't pay to produce it did they?

Netflix makes money but they don't have tv studio sort of money...

ChrisMC

Quote from: Dangelus on March 08, 2012, 04:38:38 PM
These sort of shows cost over a million per episode though don't they?

And LillyHammer was licensed by Netflix exclusively, they didn't pay to produce it did they?

Netflix makes money but they don't have tv studio sort of money...
That's true, it was produced before they bought it, so they didn't carry those costs.

WillEagle

I hope somebody picks this up. I was really enjoying it.