• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

My first time... with Evil Mirror D'Callan!!!1!

Started by cosmonaut, November 10, 2009, 03:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmonaut

Quote from: Feathers on November 11, 2009, 08:51:05 AM
Not sure what it's like now...but we're off topic now :)
I posted under "Conversations", so there's no off-topic! ;)

Thanks for your kind words, it's great you share some of my love for this city! I think it's the best place to live in Germany (but I've also visited Paris and London, if I had the choice to live there... I probably would even go to Tokio for a year, just to see what it's like).

Today the area around the Brandenburg gate is rebuild in 19th century style (think Prussian), including the famous Adlon hotel, it looks mostly like it used to a century ago. The Potsdamer Platz with Sony center is very modern, geeky me is happy. The Prenzlauer Berg, old style buildings which used to decline during GDR is now a popular quarter for younger people who can afford the now expensive flats. The once popular Plattenbauten in east Berlin aren't popular anymore, but there are still enough people so they don't have to be demolished like in other cities in east Germany.

ChadH

KateKitty and I have been to Berlin twice in the recent past. I was pleasently surprised(on the first trip) with how easy it is to get around without a car. The public transportation system is very impressive.

KatzeKitty

I've want to go back to Berlin.  Especially after seeing the Berlin episode of "Cities of the Underworld" on the History Channel.  The underground infrastructure is amazing.

Winter in Berlin is made tolerable by buying a cup of gluhwein on the street corner.  Yummers.

~katze

Bromptonboy

Isn't it common  in Berlin to put a shot of blackcurrant juice in beer?  (staying off topic still!)
Pete

cosmonaut

Quote from: KatzeKitty on November 13, 2009, 09:12:14 AM
I've want to go back to Berlin.  Especially after seeing the Berlin episode of "Cities of the Underworld" on the History Channel.  The underground infrastructure is amazing.

Winter in Berlin is made tolerable by buying a cup of gluhwein on the street corner.  Yummers.

~katze

I once visited two the modern bunkers and one of the older ones - and you suddenly start seeing inconspicuous doors in the subway system you've never seen before. It's planning for the unthinkable, and it's often poor planning, no way this would have ever worked. Our guide said we could have his spot! ;)
There is a society that makes those tours, but sorry, website only in German (there non-profit, but why?).
http://berliner-unterwelten.de/

And yes, you got that right about winter and the gluhwein! :)

Quote from: Bromptonboy on November 13, 2009, 09:47:56 AM
Isn't it common  in Berlin to put a shot of blackcurrant juice in beer?  (staying off topic still!)
It's rasperry or woodruff, and that's traditional, especially if you're a tourist! ;)
It's the Berliner Weisse, the most popular drink - in the 19th century (wikipedia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_Weisse

Haven't been up to much mischief the week, though I'm planning on levitation for my "death mountain"! No reason to limit myself to just one city, right?

Feathers

I can see it now, flying across Europe, landing in major cities across France, Italy and Spain. Will you take sponsorship to land it in requested places? ;)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

cosmonaut

Quote from: Feathers on November 13, 2009, 11:24:10 AM
I can see it now, flying across Europe, landing in major cities across France, Italy and Spain. Will you take sponsorship to land it in requested places? ;)
I call it tribute, but it will be paid to keep me away... unless there are specific places you don't like, if you have the means I might grant you an audience! :)

Bromptonboy

Krull Part 2...hmmmmmm...George Bush's missle-shield doesn't sound so bad now does it?  Flying mountains landing in Western Europe.... makes you re-think your position?    Even Putin will be on board now!  ;)
Pete

Feathers

Quote from: cosmonaut on November 13, 2009, 11:32:53 AM
Quote from: Feathers on November 13, 2009, 11:24:10 AM
I call it tribute, but it will be paid to keep me away... unless there are specific places you don't like, if you have the means I might grant you an audience! :)

Ah Ha! So you admit it! It's all a German plot to dominate Europe!

Hang on, we already have that don't we? It's called the EU...

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

cosmonaut

Quote from: Feathers on November 14, 2009, 05:17:21 AM
Ah Ha! Ao you admit it! It's all a German plot to dominate Europe!

Hang on, we already have that don't we? It's called the EU...

Wait, why are surprised by that? ;)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllGermansAreNazis

And the EU... they produce Star Wars audio dramas, right? I don't think we have anything to do with that, though Jen was talking to this French who was pretending to be a Canadian... :D
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedHerring

Meds

"Communism was just a red herring."
- Three characters, one for each ending, from the movie Clue

lol

cosmonaut

Quote from: Shelby Daelen on November 14, 2009, 06:45:51 AM
Maybe you two should market this  - I am sure you could get someone to do it for you.  Make it a side business :D Evil Inc.

You're absolutely right, the lack of professionalism in evil is quite disturbing! It's about time someone means serious business!
I need to create a brand, and the fact that I make my own laws and will be paid taxes, not pay them makes everything far easier.

Thanks for contributing your ideas, should you consider a career in evil there will place for you on my death-mountain. :)

If you haven't already, listen to this Podcastle episode, it's only 7 minutes long! Your avatar and post made me immediately think of it:
http://podcastle.org/2009/10/09/pc-miniature-38-accounting-for-dragons/