• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

"It's all that damn, green Vulcan blood!"  ;)

Zarabeth32

Quote from: Rico on April 17, 2012, 08:50:30 AM
"It's all that damn, green Vulcan blood!"  ;)

That is hysterical!  :roflmao
In honor of my still living father - "I drank what?"

Rico

A little teaser bit of info from two of the lead actors:

With production nearing an end on J.J. Abram's much-anticipated (and still officially untitled) Star Trek sequel, returning star Chris Pine and newcomer villain Benedict Cumberbatch spoke with Access Hollywood and Zap2It, respectively, about the May 17th release (via Trekweb).

"Of course I'm gonna tell you I think it's gonna be better," Pine laughs, "You pick up the characters from where they left off, and the development of the characters, I think, is just as exciting as the first one... And it's relentless. I think that's the best adjective I can use."

As far as Cumberbatch's role, the "Sherlock" star only teased the faintest of details.

"I've gone up two suit sizes," he says, "The character I'm playing, he's strong. I can say that much. I've changed my physique a bit, so that requires eating like a foie gras goose, well beyond your appetite, And, providing I don't feel too ill, I then work out two hours a day with a phenomenal trainer. It's the L.A. way."

Also starring John Cho, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin, Alice Eve and Peter Weller, Star Trek 2 (or XII, depending on how you're counting), is planning both 2D, 3D and IMAX 3D release.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=89623

Rico

Leonard Nimoy might still yet pop up in this next Trek movie.  Read this short bit of conversation Leonard had with an interviewer in New York at the Shuttle Enterprise arrival.

CAROL COSTELLO: Could I just say that I admire you? And in the new Star Trek movie [the 2009 version] you had a very prominent role, Leonard Nimoy, and I enjoyed it very much. You're fantastic.

JASON CARROLL: In fact, Carol, we were talking about that ... [to Nimoy] Carol, Carol Costello, the anchor ... remember we were talking about the new Star Trek movie. It was great, you did a great job in it. And we were just about talking about that just before ... will you be in another Star Trek movie?

NIMOY: Uhh, we're talking. We're talking. 

Bryancd

Watching him retire is exhausting! :)

turtlesrock

ah hahahahaha i'm imagining it all stuttery, "uhh... we're talking. we're talking. YEP sure thing, we're talking. What are we doing now? STILL TALKING! whee-oo! talking talking talking, it almost doesn't sound like a word anymore, every realized that the brain is the only organ that named itself? Duuuuuuuuuuuuuude!" XD

Rico

I have heard some rumblings in the "trek-o-sphere" and yeah, I think what we are hearing is true.

Bromptonboy

Gah!  I cannot get to that link through our company firewall.  Can someone put the details in a spoiler tag here?  Thanks in advance.
Pete

billybob476

Here's the text of the article.

[spoiler]
There have been a lot of rumors and spoilers floating around the web in the last few months, including some new ones today. So TrekMovie has checked with sources and can confirm some of these reports as well as adding some new info into the mix. See below for 3 spoilers about the Star Trek sequel but do not click below if you don't want to spoil the fun (seriously don't...just for Spoiler-fans).

Star Trek Sequel SPOILERS

Before we start it is important to note that it is still the case that no plot or character information for the Star Trek sequel has been officially confirmed by Paramount or anyone associated with the movie. The following based on reports from other outlets and/or TrekMovie sources. As always, Paramount's policy is to not comment on what they consider rumors.

you have been warned

Spoiler 1: Leonard Nimoy returns as Spock Prime

The first spoiler was actually let out of the bag by the actor himself when talking to CNN last week (see video), and now AICN is reporting that Nimoy returning for the sequel. TrekMovie sources have confirmed that Nimoy indeed is back as Spock Prime and he has already completed his work for the film. Spock Prime was last seen at the end of the 2009 movie sending off the new crew of the USS Enterprise, leaving him to help the Vulcans who survived Nero's destruction of their home planet.

This spoiler comes as somewhat of a surprise, as Nimoy himself had previously indicated that he was happy to let the new cast take the reigns of the franchise forward. But apparently JJ Abrams and crew were able to convince the actor and Star Trek legend to come out of retirement one last time to play Spock. On a historic note, this would be Nimoy's eighth  appearance in a Star Trek feature film, which will be a record (he and Shatner are now tied with seven movies each).

Leonard Nimoy in the 2009 "Star Trek" – returns for the sequel

Want more?

keep scrolling

Spoiler 2: Cumberbatch is playing Khan

TrekMovie was first in reporting that Benedict Cumberbatch had joined the Star Trek sequel cast, to play a villain (originally a role offered to Benecio del Toro). A few outlets have also reported (including today's AICN) that this villain was Trek's most famous bad guy – the exiled Eugenics War leader Khan Noonien Singh (originally played by Ricardo Montalban). TrekMovie has also confirmed this with a number of sources so we no longer consider it to be a rumor. Khan is back in 2013, however sources indicate that the film is not a rehash of "Space Seed," the original Star Trek episode where Kirk and crew first encounter the genetic superman from the past.

While big news, this is actually not a huge surprise. Trek's new filmmakers have often cited the Christopher Nolan's Batman series as their model, with the second film The Dark Knight successfully brining back the Joker and Khan is the closest to Trek gets to Batman's Joker. And again the team kind of already let the cat out of the bag on this one when they recorded the DVD commentary back in 2009 and said they had considered a post-credits sceene showing the Botany Bay, Khan's sleeper ship. Then of course there is Abrams widely reported casting process which began with Benecio del Toro and went through a number other prominent Latino (like Montalban) actors before he ended up picking Cumberbatch, after what has been said to be a very powerful audition.

Want more?

keep scrolling

Spoiler 3: Klingons featured in Star Trek sequel

This third spoiler is not something from the new AICN report, but multiple TrekMovie sources have confirmed that the Klingons will be featured in the Star Trek sequel. Of course Klingons were were originally going to be part of the 2009 movie as well – in a subplot where they had captured Nero and his crew after the destruction of the USS Kelvin, however those scenes were cut from the final release (but did appear on the DVD/Blu-ray). TrekMovie sources indicate that this time the Klingons are not a sub-plot that could be easily cut out of the film, so we will finally see the JJ-verse version of Klingons on the big screen.

This spoiler seems to be a no brainer. The Klingons are likely Star Trek's best known adversary aliens, and they appeared in most of the movies featuring the original cast. The intent was to put them in the last one and fans have been asking for Klingons to make the cut for the sequel. 

Klingons in deleted scene from the 2009 "Star Trek" movie – but they should make the final cut of the 2013 sequel

Sequel production enters final stretch

TrekMovie has also confirmed that the Star Trek sequel has wrapped up shooting on stages and on location in southern califormia. The film remains on schedule with a couple more weeks of shooting on  on location in northern California.

That's it for now, stay tuned to TrekMovie for all your Star Trek sequel news.

POLL: Spoiler thoughts?

So now that you have been spoiled – what are you thinking? Weigh in below and vote in the poll.
[/spoiler]

Bromptonboy

Thanks.  Interesting stuff.
Pete

Jobydrone

Cool

[spoiler]I was pretty much 99% positive back when Benicio Deltoro was briefly attached to the project that he was going to play Khan.  It would have been phenominal casting and I'm really sorry it fell through.  He's one of my favorite actors.[/spoiler]
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Well....

[spoiler]They palyed around with the Eugenics War stuff in "Enterprise" but it's not a well known part of Trek to the very casual fan or fan of the first movie, so it is pretty fertile and unsowed ground for them to tread. A young, genius, Kahn running aorund causing trouble. It will be interesting to see if he's from the past and is found in cryo or is he a contemprary. I think this could be great fun BUT I am a bit dissapointed they felt the need to rehash this sotry line as opposed to so many other options.[/spoiler]

Rico

I'm pretty mixed on all this...

[spoiler]My first reaction was - really...that's what you decided to do?  That's all you could come up with in 2+ years?  But I'm hoping they just can do it well enough and different enough to make it cool and interesting.  It will have to be quite a bit different than Wrath of Khan since this will most likely be the first meeting of the new Kirk and Khan.  Bryan is right that to many this will all be new and I'm guessing that's one of the big reasons they decided to go down this path.  But I'm still a bit disappointed right now.[/spoiler]