• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fatfather_2005

i have said this on several site i comment on. i think it is too early to bash jj abrams for his star trek reboot. i am glad to see all the clips, but i do think it is overkill a bit.
now, it is widely known that J.J. is not a big star trek, but he has done well in it. gene roddenberry's vision of star trek is on of complete utopia.  when he died the people running TNG,DS9,VOG played in his universe and built on it.
what j.j did was pull pieces of what he did like in the star trek universe and built on it.
i am holding off passing judgement on this movie until i see it.( steps down off soapbox, exits stage left, lol)
In the Absense of Light, the Darkness Prevails.

ChrisMC

There is always going to be the "old guard" complaining about the changes to things they've read or watched for many years. I've seen it twice in comics, with DC in the 80's rebooting their characters from the Silver Age to the Modern Age after Crisis, and then right now with DC's New 52. Both times the old guard said "You can't do that, my childhood, aaaahhhh". But it's fine. It's part of life. If things don't change they become stale. Certainly Trek fans should appreciate that.

In the end, if you prefer TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY or ENT...those shows are still there. They happened. This is an alternate timeline, as I just said on the Skype call cast, I think of it as a "Soft Mirror Universe". It's a way to invigorate a franchise that for all intents and purposes was dead in the water, and is now vibrant and at the forefront of pop culture again. I love it. Trek is cool. Been a long time coming.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

Again, I am going to warn about spoilers.  Just because information is online does not mean it is not a spoiler.  Rules here as follows:

Ok to post and discuss:  Official trailers, video clips, etc. from the studio.  Official pictures, publicity stills, etc. from the studio.

Not ok to post:  Information posted related to things in the film that at this point reviewers and some people have seen in other countries.  This information is not official publicity coming from the studio. 

I have a pretty intractable view on this.  Please consider carefully about what you post and even links to things or items even in spoiler boxes.  There really is no need for any of that here at this point.  If you want that information, everyone here is capable of using Google and finding it if they want to do that.  No need to post it here.

Jobydrone

I've been on a media blackout about this movie ever since I saw all the spoiler tags go up on this post a couple of weeks ago.  I also very much prefer going into these kind of big films un-spoiled so thanks Rico for the reminder!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Media blackout is one thing, but be careful on the forums and the Facebook group for TSF.  A spoiler got posted last night on the TSF Facebook group page.

jedijeff

I was watching the Big Bang Theory the other day, and they had a preview for the new Trek movie, I just about fast forwarded through it as I was concerned I would see to much. I really pick and choose what I read now as well.

Meds

I understand what everyone is saying but honestly Facebook is a open network you're gonna see things. Now I'm seeing it on Thursday I'm not going to post any spoilers, I don't on Dr Who but guys/gals we have a spoiler tag here for a reason. If you really can't stop yourself from pressing the spoiler tag then i'd hate to be next to you if there was a big red button saying don't press, end of the world. ;)

Rico

Facebook is open, but I was hoping the FB TSF group there would be a bit more careful.  I don't just go looking anywhere online.  It's a losing battle I know. 

Jobydrone

I agree Meds, of course, if you press that spoiler button all bets are off, and you've only yourself to blame if you see something you didn't want to know.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Meds

You know I reckon the TSF FB page will be spoiler free now you have put your request on there. Lately I record Dr Who because its on when my little one has her bath and story time and i stay away from twitter and facebook but thats just for a few hours,  staying away from spoilers for a week is near enough impossible.

Rico

Ktrek

I'm on vacation next week so maybe I'll get to see it a couple of times, that is if it's worth a second viewing. So, I guess I'll see what the earliest time I can see it on the morning or afternoon of the 16th.

In related news Star Trek Magazine released their "Special Edition' for the movie packed with interviews and pictures. It's thicker than their normal run and costs $14.99. My wife picked one up for me today at Barnes and Noble but I'm afraid to read it because I have been avoiding spoilers. I want the movie to be full of surprises for me.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

jedijeff

ChrisMC

"JJ Abrams demo-reel for Star Wars..." Pretty funny! Big eyes, long face and TAN MOM.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/