• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

WHAT VIDEO GAME ARE YOU PLAYING??

Started by golum113, June 13, 2009, 11:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

I didn't play last night but the two nights before that I had no issues. Trying now (obviously off-peak), I got in no problem. It appears the download is still available as of now, they simply put up a note.

QuoteImportant Note on "SimCity"
Many customers are having issues connecting to the "SimCity" servers. EA is actively working to resolve these issues, but at this time we do not know when the issue will be fixed. Please visit https://help.ea.com/en/simcity/simcity for more information.

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Arts-41018ted-Edition2-SimCity/dp/B007VTVRFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362743772&sr=8-1&keywords=simcity

While this isn't a great launch, there may be a bit of overreaction here.

Rico

Seems like they messed up a bit.  I still can't understand how beta testing doesn't give them a good feel for things like this?  I'm sure in a fairly short time period they will get it all scaled properly.  One of the reasons I tend to stay away from new game launches.  Now, where is my copy of Sim City 2000 at?  :)

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on March 08, 2013, 09:30:48 AM
Seems like they messed up a bit.  I still can't understand how beta testing doesn't give them a good feel for things like this?  I'm sure in a fairly short time period they will get it all scaled properly.  One of the reasons I tend to stay away from new game launches.  Now, where is my copy of Sim City 2000 at?  :)

EA did a very closed BETA testing, they had maybe 40 people logging in at the same time from what I heard. I agree with you though, a public BETA test would have avoided a lot of these problems from cropping up. Not all of them, but it certainly wouldn't be the current issue that it is.
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

billybob476

They definitely didn't load test well. One thing they've mentioned is that they didn't expect average play session length to be as long as it has been. Also some heavier server side processes have been bogging things down.

Octeris

Can't decide if SimCity is worth $60 as it stands right now. I am so interested in this game but it just doesn't feel right to give EA that much after this fiasco of a launch. Cheetah speed is still disabled almost 5 days after launch?

Mostly playing Team Fortress 2 and Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition at the moment. I also have about a million games in my backlog.

Jobydrone

I think best bet is to wait six months for patches to apply, new content to load, servers to stabilize, and the price to drop.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jobydrone on March 09, 2013, 04:19:56 PM
I think best bet is to wait six months for patches to apply, new content to load, servers to stabilize, and the price to drop.

That would be my suggestion as well.

Rico

I doubt it will take 6 months to work most of the kinks out.  Maybe a couple of weeks - a month at most.  Also, if your friends are playing right now then you might want to join in sooner.

Jobydrone

Oh that's true, you can't really enjoy this solo
From what I've seen.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Rico on March 10, 2013, 07:41:06 AM
I doubt it will take 6 months to work most of the kinks out.  Maybe a couple of weeks - a month at most.  Also, if your friends are playing right now then you might want to join in sooner.

Well, I would wait a couple months either way just to make sure EA actually does fix its problems and won't pull the plug on this game. And even then, it must be stressed that EA can and will pull the plug on this game at any time. They have a history of being cutthroat with game servers as soon as they are unprofitable. Which I can understand from EA's perspective but its something I always stress in relation to games such as these. By the sounds of it, this game will never be offline capable if the Maxis PR rep is to be believed. Which I consider to be a tragedy but there isn't much we can do about it.

billybob476

Quote from: Jobydrone on March 10, 2013, 08:20:58 AM
From what I've seen.
I've been playing just fine solo. You can create a private region and manage multiple complimentary cities on your own. It's actually quite fun.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on March 10, 2013, 07:39:30 PM
Quote from: Jobydrone on March 10, 2013, 08:20:58 AM
From what I've seen.
I've been playing just fine solo. You can create a private region and manage multiple complimentary cities on your own. It's actually quite fun.

Yeah, I've heard that.  You still have to login to their servers - right?  Any trouble with that still?

billybob476

They rolled out quite a few new servers and patches over the weekend. I can't say for sure but EA has acknowledged the issue and will apparently be giving all SimCity owners a free game this week.

Again, the only trouble I've had is intermittent minute or so long disconnects. They don't stop you playing, your city simply syncs to the server when the game reconnects.

Octeris

Seems like the server problems eclipsed real gameplay issues and bugs. There are a countless number of Reddit posts complaining about traffic jams/bugs, services being slow to respond or not responding at all (fire/police/water/sewage/power, especially those that are region-shared), as well as other quirks and weirdness.

Also lots of people are annoyed by the smallish size of the city lots. In the past they have stated they might expand city sizes in the future. We'll see.

At this point SimCity 4 seems like more fun until they resolve these issues. Even Cheetah speed is still turned off as of right now.