• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"V" ABC Re-Boot - (spoilers)

Started by spidey27, October 09, 2008, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feathers

Ah, OK. I think I misread you a little there then.

Can't wait to see where it goes and would hate to see it end.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

KingIsaacLinksr

Nah, my post was a bit confusing cause I made it sound like I dislike the show at the end of it so it was easy to misread.  My bad :(

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

X

Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on March 13, 2011, 11:23:10 AM
Nah, my post was a bit confusing cause I made it sound like I dislike the show at the end of it so it was easy to misread.  My bad :(

King

I think the hooking up was perfectly normal. It wasn't romance. It was tension relieving stress. I found it completely believable because I've found myself in similar places with people I zero romantic interest in after having a bad day.

KingIsaacLinksr

Spoilers:

[spoiler]Never, ever, EVER depend on the possible enemy to get your plan through.  Especially when she's the daughter!!  I would have had three other guys in there.  Dunno why it was just her.  Heck, the one dude was in there after the tracker found her so obviously it wasn't hard to fool him!!

THANK YOU TYLER IS DEAD.  I almost cheered when he died. 

Very unhappy that Diana died though :(. 

5th Column looks irrelevant at this point. 

Wow, Baby can bliss all of the sudden....eh.  [/spoiler]

Big question, will it get renewed? 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Dangelus

Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on March 15, 2011, 10:09:51 PM
Spoilers:

[spoiler]Never, ever, EVER depend on the possible enemy to get your plan through.  Especially when she's the daughter!!  I would have had three other guys in there.  Dunno why it was just her.  Heck, the one dude was in there after the tracker found her so obviously it wasn't hard to fool him!!

King

Hey! I got 2 out of 3 correct! What do I win? ;)
[spoiler]2 put of 3 characters who were going to die that is. Just picked the wrong Queen! I hope it doesn't get cancelled as I think the turn of events here with this secret world agency are very interesting. [/spoiler]

X

Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on March 15, 2011, 10:09:51 PM
Spoilers:

King

What?
[spoiler] Where did you get all of a sudden? I mean there was no less than three episodes that told us that the kid was special and had powers that were beyond the norm. They pretty much held our hand when they told us that her mother was given phosphorus from the Queen's special supply. Then we were told that she had the potential for great abilities. Then we saw her trying to protect Anna by Blissing her and being told that you need to be special to Bliss someone.

Unexpected ability? Sure, but they foreshadowed the hell out of it. They foreshadowed the fact that the pair actually sees themselves as mother and daughter. I think that it's the only human like relationship that she's allowed herself to have and it's actually pretty deep.

As for Tyler ... he's not dead yet. He might have been bleeding out when we left him, but Jacob is a part of the 5th Column and did set all of this into motion.

Dianna is the only person that I'm sure is dead.   [/spoiler]

Dangelus

The question still remains if we will see the answers to these questions at all.

Crazy if they don't give it a chance.

Rico

Terrible way to end the season and most likely the series.  Do these characters never learn?

Dangelus

Terrible how? I thought it made good progression to the story, setting up a new season.

It's not confirmed that it's not coming back yet and I don't think they should write the show to end neatly "just in case".

It will suck if it ends like this but at least they went out fighting.

Rico

Quote from: Dangelus on March 17, 2011, 12:57:52 AM
Terrible how? I thought it made good progression to the story, setting up a new season.

It's not confirmed that it's not coming back yet and I don't think they should write the show to end neatly "just in case".

It will suck if it ends like this but at least they went out fighting.
[spoiler]Terrible - ok let me break it down.  First, needless deaths.  Diana dying I can swallow, although I thought it was very naive of her to stick around when she knew Anna was coming back right away. Tyler getting chomped on like a black widow mating.  First, they have said Tyler was uber-important.  So, unless they are 100% positive the new evil/Lisa is preggers it makes no sense to off him.  It also looses a lot of impact since Erica didn't discover what had happened to her son in this episode.  I know maybe he isn't dead, but he looked in pretty bad shape.

I'm also having a lot of trouble with two other things.  First, blissing humanity.  Give me a freaking break.  Sorry, again both not buying it and it makes humanity look like fools.  If V's can resist this certainly people can.  Especially someone like the priest who they have pointed out has faith in God and very strong convictions.  The second problem I have is this whole, hey surprise Project Ares thing.  Where the heck have they been hiding for two seasons?  Seems contrived to me.

I guess what bugs me the most is the characters keep making the same mistakes over and over.  Sneak up on the ship, whoops it didn't work or we can't trust so and so to do what we need them to do.  Look I'm ok with a struggle, but they have made zero progress so far.  For me, it comes down to having characters I like and believe in.  And they just aren't cutting it for me.[/spoiler]

Dangelus

I'm getting what you're saying.

[spoiler] I suppose what I mean is I think they have tried to change it up at the end as a revamp in case they are renewed.
They haven't made the best decisions storywise all the way through you're right but I think they had to do something like this. When it was mentioned that there would be 3 "deaths'' in the finale I predicted 2 out 3 probably because it became obvious what they were going to do.

I don't think it was a great story or finale by any means but I'm convinced they did it because their future is uncertain.[/spoiler]

X

I couldn't disagree more!
[spoiler] Here's the counter to your breakdown. There was no needless deaths. After mating the V queen killed her mate. The "new" Lisa performed in exactly the same way. Tyler was important, but as established on screen 1) There are others that can be used as mates. 2) Anna wants the real Lisa to suffer. Having someone that looks like her mate and kill the boy she loves is a GREAT way to make her suffer.

Blissing human. Again, it's been established on the show that human emotion has been part of the problem with not being able to Bliss emotion infected V. Also, it's been established that the kid has both human and v aspects to her brain and was given the queen's stuff in the womb. Which is how some insect species turn a normal egg into a queen by controlling to conditions and nutrients that the embryo receives. Faith has nothing to do with being drugged and brainwashed. That's what Bliss does. It's not about your strength of character, you can be a strong person, but if someone doses you with ectasy, there is nothing that you can do to change how it makes you feel in that moment.

As for project Ares, why would we know anything about them? Up until that point this was a story about a specific 5th Cell and a specific mothership. I don't get the complaint at all. When the series started, you wondered why humans all seemed to to the line and welcome the Vs and wondered where the objectors were. This was the answer to that question. They were hiding and getting ready to go to war.

I know that this is one of those things that we're going to probably agree to disagree on, but they delivered in this episode. They gave us a pay off that they built within the series. They also gave a sharper direction for the future and at the same time showed the MAJOR flaw in humanity's resistance. The very nature of the Cells and not knowing who to trust has denied two major factions of resources that they might have been able to turn the tide with long ago.

I think that the series is great because it's making sense. Why would they make any progress at all? They are fighting a superior force who has superior technology and numbers. Even in human history, that doesn't bode well for the resistance. They need to make mistake and they need to learn because they don't know what they are up against. This isn't ID4 where a virus written on a Mac will work the destroy the alien computer systems.

For me, it's not about the progress, it's about the fight. We don't know how the story ends. It could be the Alamo. They could do their best and still get slaughtered and I would still tune in because it's never been about the humans winning. It's been about the humans fighting to not go down so easily.

This is a show that you really need to pay attention to to be able to enjoy. Erica lost her husband, the man she loves, twice because of the V, but if you aren't paying attention to every episode, you miss some of the setup and little things that become HUGE things. Eric lost her husband because he thought she cheated on him because the DNA test didn't match. MANY episodes later, we learn that Tyler is missing DNA links because of the V. All these seemingly small things all added up to a great payoff, but if you aren't really following the show, you can miss that.[/spoiler]

Dangelus

Wow, again I see that pay A LOT more attention to detail when watching a show than I do. Great write up X.

Rico

Chris - I'm not surprised you disagree with my view of the show.  And that's fine.  Basically, I think I'm done with it whether it returns or not.  It's just become frustrating to watch for me.  When even the "heroes" betray each other this often it makes it so I have few people to cheer for.

X

Quote from: Rico on March 17, 2011, 03:16:56 PM
Chris - I'm not surprised you disagree with my view of the show.  And that's fine.  Basically, I think I'm done with it whether it returns or not.  It's just become frustrating to watch for me.  When even the "heroes" betray each other this often it makes it so I have few people to cheer for.
I can respect that. Tastes vary. I fell more in love with this show each episode and totally lost interest in The Cape which some folks enjoyed to the end.