• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Star Wars on Blu-Ray

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 17, 2010, 10:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meds

Eric that will come out on the George Lucas Diamond Blue Ray Digital 3D Bryan Kissed naked Edition ;)

wraith1701

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on May 05, 2011, 04:07:34 PM
Eric that will come out on the George Lucas Diamond Blue Ray Digital 3D Bryan Kissed naked Edition ;)

Haha!  Bryan is cooler than the other side of the pillow, but I'll have to pass on anything featuring "Bryan", "Kissed", and "Naked" all in the same title.  Not that there's anything wrong with it; just not my cup of tea. ;)

Bryancd

Hey, unlike Chewie, I actually do wear pants, just not shirts. George Lucas could crap out a DVD of him sitting at his desk picking his nose and I would buy it...preferably in 3D...

wraith1701

^ LOL! I hear you on that, man. 

I have to admit; as cool as it will be to have crisp, blu ray quality versions of the OT, I think what's really drawing me to this set is the inclusion of the documentaries.  BTW; I'm almost afraid to ask, but does anyone know if the original Original Trilogy will be included? Or is it the new Original?   I'll buy it in either case, just wondering. 

Bryancd

Not sure, Eric, but I HIGHLY doubt it. Lucas has been very clear the Special Editions are more "his" vision and it's "his" party.

RickPeete

Why would anyone living on a desert planet wear ANYTHING white?  It would be dirty 2 seconds outside the house. Lol

Not sure I want to drop $90 on this set.  I have so much SW in my house in multiple formats.  I may wait for George's next releases because he isn't done yet....

WillEagle

Didn't buy the Star Trek Blu-Rays so probably won't get these. I'm trying not to buy blu-rays of movies I already have on DVD. If I was filthy rich I would probably do it! And I do have some of those documentaries, I recorded them off TV. Mostly from The History Channel.  

Ktrek

I will replace my DVD set with the Blu-Rays. I purposefully have not watched the films again anticipating the Blu-Ray release. If a title is out on Blu-Ray I buy it as my first choice of formats. I will only upgrade and replace my most favorite and rewatchable films to Blu-Ray. My wife pretty much won't let me buy DVDs anymore unless that is the only format a title is available in. Many classic films will never see the light of day on Blu-Ray.

As for the Star Wars release it seems that this will be a good set full of special features. And yes...I would prefer to have the original trilogy in their undoctored theatrical release format, but until George is dead, and the greedy of his progeny takes over, it won't happen, and maybe not even then.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

X

Quote from: Ktrek on May 06, 2011, 08:36:26 AM
but until George is dead, and the greedy of his progeny takes over, it won't happen, and maybe not even then.
That's just too funny! Can they get more greedy than dad?

QuadShot

Ok Lucas bashers, let me ask you this: If you had a product that millions of people wanted to purchase, even if the complain about it but STILL purchase, what would YOU do? Step up and say.."Hmm, this isn't right. I shall be pure and honest and not try to make money". Or, would you milk it for what you can? C'mon people, hop off of your high horses and stop the madness. I don't care what anyone says, I admire George Lucas, I LIKE Star Wars (both trilogies), and think he's a great writer.

billybob476

Quote from: QuadShot on May 06, 2011, 08:57:52 AM
Ok Lucas bashers, let me ask you this: If you had a product that millions of people wanted to purchase, even if the complain about it but STILL purchase, what would YOU do? Step up and say.."Hmm, this isn't right. I shall be pure and honest and not try to make money". Or, would you milk it for what you can? C'mon people, hop off of your high horses and stop the madness. I don't care what anyone says, I admire George Lucas, I LIKE Star Wars (both trilogies), and think he's a great writer.

He's a great writer, but he is a bad screenwriter. The prequels have some of the WORST dialogue of any movie I've seen.

I only have the original trilogy on DVD so I think I'll eventually pick up this set. Also, no you can't blame him for doing what he does, the crazy thing about Lucas and Start Wars is that he can create new demand  just by re-releasing the movies with a few different features.

Ktrek

Oh I admire his ability to milk his six films for all he can, but it stil boils down to a vice called greed. It never ceases to amaze me how much money he can get the fans to cough up (are we suckers or what?). Paramount/CBS have what could be a far more lucrative franchise in Star Trek but have never been able to get the widespread appeal that Star Wars has garnered nor the profits. And as much as I enjoy the Star Wars films I have enever found them to be as entertaining or as stimulating as Star Trek. If I had to chosse between the two franchises Trek would win hands down with Star Wars not even coming close. And I don't think stating what is known about Lucas is "bashing" him.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

QuadShot

Ktrek, sure it is. If people continually say he's greedy, his writing is not good, he's evil because he wants to make money, sure that's bashing. What would your definition of bashing be then, if not this? And really, you can't blame the guy if people are obviously attracted to his work. How can you? You can't blame him if people, of their own free will, continue to contribute to his retirement fund, can you? If I'm a sucker and keep buying his product, even though I openly voice my distaste for it, can't blame him for my stupidity, can you?  I'm 100% positive that there are a great many people out there that would say the very same thing about Gene Roddenberry. Truthfully (and although I LOVE Star Trek) you HAVE to admit that a lot of the dialogue in the Star Trek Universe is quite bad, corny and goofy. In all the series and movies.
If you don't like Lucas cool. If you want to complain about him cool. Let's just call it what it is and move on. Bashing :)

billybob476

Not to turn this into Trek vs Wars, Star Wars is a very classical story steeped in history and mythology transported into a fantasy setting. Trek is traditionally much more cerebral, making commentary about current social issues.

The "save the damsel in distress from the Black Knight's castle" story generally has slightly wider appeal.

Bryancd

Quote from: billybob476 on May 06, 2011, 09:22:12 AM
He's a great writer, but he is a bad screenwriter.

..and arguably and not so great director. Besides story, he excels at editing. But I think all of you are missing the point and what motivates Lucas. It's not greed, he's wealthy beyond imagination and I really don't feel he is motivated by the accumulation of additional wealth. Lucas uses releases of old product in new formats like this to help fund the projects he is really passionate about, which are the technical advancement of the film industry. THAT IS HIS PASSION. Everything else he's doing, Blu-Ray releases, games, books, licencing, are alldesigned to provide seed capital to new projects. That's it. It's not greed, he's manging a growing company.