• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Writers Strike

Started by moyer777, October 29, 2007, 04:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Ktrek on December 31, 2007, 11:25:16 AM
Kenny,

Does this mean that in the future these writers could actually be banned from the Writers Union and not be able to work on series shows? If so that could be a costly move for them in the long run. Unless they always see themselves writing for Letterman type shows.

Kevin

The Lettermen writers have made a deal with the WGA that will allow them to continue to be part of the WGA and write for Lettermen. I don't know the details of their deal.

The particular Soap writer I was talking about has been writing for a popular soap for over 20 years.. he was going to be fired from the show if he didn't continue to write. So opted out of the WGA so can continue to write.. he will continue to write for the rest of his life I presume on that soap.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on December 31, 2007, 11:27:29 AM
But isn't that the whole point - to get residuals??  They rerun talk shows all the time - for example.  They also are being shown online as well.

I don't know the details of the WGA but I do know that "talk show" type of shows are different then scripted shows. Which means residuals are different. Scripted shows have a few writers who get credited for the episode. Variety show/talk shows are many many writers. I don't know how they keep track if something that one person wrote makes it to air. Obviously not all the writer will get residuals. Like I said.. I don't know the full details of the WGA deals.

Geekyfanboy

Now the strike is effecting the award season.

Globes As Good As Dead This Year

Variety is reporting that the Screen Actors Guild (SAG), in a show of solidarity for the membership of the Writers Guild of America (WGA) that is currently on strike against the American Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers (AMPTP), have called on all actors to be no shows at this year's Golden Globe Awards ceremony.

SAG president Alan Rosenberg has announced that not one of the more than 70 actors that have been nominated for a Golden Globe will attend the televised January 13 ceremonies pretty much shutting down the event. While no official word on this latest development has come from Dick Clark Productions, it seems inevitable that this show will not go on as planned, unless the strike concludes within the next week, which itself seems highly unlikely

After intense negotiations with the WGA Dick Clark Productions failed to get the kind of waiver granted David Letterman's Worldwide Pants company. However, the Guild has asserted that it will picket the Globes, set to air on NBC one week from this Sunday.

"After considerable outreach to Golden Globe actor nominees and their representatives over the past several weeks, there appears to be unanimous agreement that these actors will not cross WGA picket lines to appear on the Golden Globe Awards as acceptors or presenters," Rosenberg said. "We applaud our members for this remarkable show of solidarity for striking Writers Guild of America writers."

Rosenberg has also encouraged his SAG members to only appear on the two Worldwide Pants talk shows owned by David Letterman, which would include Dave's "Late Night" show and Craig Ferguson's "Late Late Show" and said all other talkers, including Leno, O'Brien and Kimmel should be avoided at the present time.

"Actors who are asked to appear on the struck network talk shows will have to cross WGA picket lines, creating the same situation that has led to the consensus among actors to skip the Golden Globes," Rosenberg said. "As I have said since this strike began on November 5th, we must stand united with our brothers and sisters at the WGA."

Blackride

I saw that this morning also on CNN. This is interesting to watch on hwo they are going to handle it.
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

X

I'm really trying hard to continue to support the writers, but I'm reaching a crossroad. While I respect the writers, I think that the fact that they are still getting paid something for the DVD sales and the airing of reruns allow them to survive while the craft service people and the production people are the ones that are really suffering for the strike. It seems like everyone but the people that need the money the most are continuing to pull in some coin.

I sense that this is the reason that there is no urgency in the talks. Both groups involved in the strike are still in position to continue to get a check.

For the sake of the grips and the runners and everyone else that doesn't and won't ever see a cent from residuals, they need to end this. IF the writers allow this to continue further, I would hate to see me resent the writers as much as I have started to resent the producers.

iceman

Ultimately, this comes down to money and although studios have big pockets, at somepoint revenue from rerun shows will not be enough to sustain them, and this resentment by viewers will hurt them in the long run.

The longer this strike goes on the interest in popular shows that have been on hiatus will wane, Like bsg, to the point of little or no interest, that it will cost them money when they have to compensate advertisers for lost revenue. Let us not forget the movie season either..

Eventually all this inaction will have a serious consequence for everyone involved.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Just X on January 05, 2008, 10:05:28 AM
I'm really trying hard to continue to support the writers, but I'm reaching a crossroad. While I respect the writers, I think that the fact that they are still getting paid something for the DVD sales and the airing of reruns allow them to survive while the craft service people and the production people are the ones that are really suffering for the strike. It seems like everyone but the people that need the money the most are continuing to pull in some coin.

I'm with you X... it's getting harder and harder to support the writers. I have so many friends who are suffering because of them. This could be the year of the strikes.. after the WGA the SAG and DGA both have there contract expiring this year.. this could be a long hard year for the entertainment industry. :(

space_invader64

I just don't get the actors in this.  Whatever happened to "The show must go on?"

Why should the audience suffer for internal this?

Rico

I'm almost wishing this just starts to bust up the unions in the entertainment industry.  I see no need for them there and they are just complicating things.  Let the writers themselves negotiate and work out their own deals - just like most working people who are not in a union do. 

One thing I don't quite get is why the studios just don't go out and hire some independent writers?  Is there some type of law against it?

Blackride

Quote from: Rico on January 06, 2008, 12:18:48 PM
I'm almost wishing this just starts to bust up the unions in the entertainment industry.  I see no need for them there and they are just complicating things.  Let the writers themselves negotiate and work out their own deals - just like most working people who are not in a union do. 

One thing I don't quite get is why the studios just don't go out and hire some independent writers?  Is there some type of law against it?

No, there are no laws protecting unions from this action or preventing employeers from hiring outside a union. You have the right to unionize but beyond that the contract between the union and the employeer is enforced like any other contract. Finally my degree comes into practice :) It's been a few years but that it what I recall from good ole College....and of course we all know how much we remember everything taught in a class room.  ???
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

space_invader64

In my personal experience, I prefer nonunion jobs to union for the reason that if I am joining a union, that must mean I'm not working for upstanding people.  If I were to take a job for AT&T, I would break down the door to join because I think they are crooks.  That being said, it's nice to be in a right to work state where if our place of employment were to close down, another company could come in and take over without fear of union trouble.  This happened in my home town when Sykes closed down.  It didn't stay closed for long when a new company came in and rehired much of the old Sykes staff.  Had we not been a right to work state, IRT might not have came and put people back to work.

But I have to look back to the history of unions to see how they improved working conditions in coal mines and other hazardous jobs.  When I look at those sports stars I have a hard time believing that their lavish life playing a game requires the protection of a coal miner.

I don't go to the movies that often anymore when the dvd comes out in three months.  I often don't worry if I miss something on TV because I can catch up online.  This has been a huge shift in the way we get content.  I do agree that the writters well is drying up while the production companies well gets deeper.  They should get a deal that would allow them to keep ground rather than lose it.

I think during a strike negotions should be mandatory and very frequent.  Also, I doubt the writers guild would like the idea of reembursing stage hands, editors, hair and makup, and others who are unable to work because of the strike.

markinro

I would agree.  Don't want to get into a debate of union vs. non-union labor.  Unions have their place but I would never join one for the simple reason that I should decide when/where to work.  I would have no problem crossing a picket line as long as I have a valid reason.

moyer777

I come from what was once known as a Timber Town.  The big pulp mills and logging industry have always been union here.  My Dad and Grandpa were union for 30 plus years.  I have seen the good and the bad that comes from it.  I remember my dad being on strike a few times, once for a few months.  That caused a lot of stress at our house, but eventually things got worked out.

When I worked as summer help for a local pulp mill when I was going through college I was forced to join the union.  I payed dues every month, and if there was a problem with the company the union would go to bat for me, but on the flip side... the other guys that were hired with me were made to slow down and take our time to get things done.  On our first day a bunch of old timers came to us and told us to make the job that we were doing last for three days.  In reality we could have finished in two hours.  They told us we would regret doing things quick and that if we wanted a smooth time during the summer that we should do what they told us.  So they were messing the company over by having the union help them slack off.  It wasn't a good situation.  One time we had to wait over two days for an electrician to change a light bulb, cause we would get in trouble from the union if one of us clean up guys changed it.  CRAZY!

So,I think in their original form, Unions are good, but like everything else in life, they can get corrupt and take advantage of the system.

There you go, my  :2cents

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Jen

I agree with you guys. My Dad is a truck driver, has been for 35 years. He has seen lots of bad things occur through the Teamsters...as a result he's not very fond of the union.

But, I understand why being apart of a union like the writers guild would be helpful.  At the same time, it really bites for those people who are not writers who's jobs are now in jeopardy because of the strikes. The people in charge of sharing the profit (the ones who won't bend in negotiations) should be ashamed of their greedy, stingy selves. I think eventually their stubbornness will begin to effect them as well, and after that happens they'll start meeting demands. Too bad it has to effect so many people in the mean time.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Blackride

Unions are necessary and good but I agree with Rick in that sometimes they get twisted. I would say that if you look though that's an exception rather than the rule. I give the Union's a ton of credit for getting us to where we are in our society. Many good laws came from Union's. Like I said I see both sides and see that they need eachother for this great country.