• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

iPad 2

Started by Rico, December 13, 2010, 05:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on December 13, 2010, 09:42:42 AM
Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on December 13, 2010, 09:36:55 AM
Quote from: Kingisaaclinksr on December 13, 2010, 09:26:44 AM
There are some pretty intense games available for the iPhone 4/iPad these days...Using the Unreal engine. 
King

I haven't found anything close to as engaging as even some of the more mediocre titles on the PSP or DS.  Graphics are there, what's missing are decent controls and good franchises.  I don't understand why there hasn't been a decent RPG or Diablo style adventure game on the platform yet, for example.  Seems like everyone wants to cash in for the quick buck with cheap, simple ports.

None of them want to bother, they don't believe the platform is worth the cost.  Which is silly as there are more iPhones than there are DSes. 

King

Tim, that is incorrect.  The Nintendo DS has been a monster success.  Numbers below.  Add to that the sheer number of games available for the DS and I wouldn't toss it away so quickly as a gaming platform.

Nintendo DS's = about 136 million sold
iPhones = about 74 million

Bryancd

Agreed, Rico, that's why I mentioned games. iPhone has really taken business away from the Nintendo and Sony in the handset market. The iPad will continue that trend.

X

None of them want to bother, they don't believe the platform is worth the cost.  Which is silly as there are more iPhones than there are DSes.  

King
What math are you using for that? There have been 135 million+ in DS sales, 55 million+ in PSP and less than 5 million in iPAD sales and 51.5+ million iPhones to date.

Bryancd

Quote from: X on December 13, 2010, 10:24:03 AM

None of them want to bother, they don't believe the platform is worth the cost.  Which is silly as there are more iPhones than there are DSes. 

King
What math are you using for that? There have been 135 million+ in DS sales, 55 million+ in PSP and less than 5 million in iPAD sales and 51.5+ million iPhones to date.

Kings New Math! :) Beleive me, Apple is very interested in growing their share of the handheld gaming market and I thin we will see more and more developers coming on board. The App Store is making a lot of $$$.

Jobydrone

I wonder if you add up all the iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads, would it come close to the DS/PSP install base.  They all support the same software. 
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Feathers

As ever, a slightly different interface will produce slightly different games too. I don't see everyone tossing out their other hardware and switching to iOS when they won't be able to wholly reproduce the experience of the other platforms.

Price comes into it too - I'm certainly not going to let my daughter chuck out her DS in favour of something even more pricey and if the other kids reach the point of wanting a handheld games machine I'm certainly not buying them iPod Touches. By my maths that makes 1 iPhone/iPod (Me!) to three DS's (or equivalent). Apple have a long way to go to overturn that arithmatic.

(And I just bought an XBox for games rather than an iPad if you want another comparison)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Bryancd

But that's the point, people who have iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad can have a gaming experience on a device they already own, making a game only portable device redundant. That's the problem for Sony and Nintendo.

X

Quote from: Bryancd on December 13, 2010, 11:20:41 AM
But that's the point, people who have iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad can have a gaming experience on a device they already own, making a game only portable device redundant. That's the problem for Sony and Nintendo.
Sony is coming out with a PSP Phone next year. It's suposed to be really hot.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/203117/sony_planning_psp_phone_android_30_gaming_platform.html
http://www.popherald.com/android-gingerbread-honeycomb-leaks/3489

Bryancd

Quote from: X on December 13, 2010, 11:29:12 AM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/203117/sony_planning_psp_phone_android_30_gaming_platform.html

You know what I am going to say... :)

It's kind of like what Newt said Ripley in ALIENS when Ripley told her that the marines all had guns and could protwect her. She said,"It won't matter." ;)

Blackride

I don't think I ever met a bigger Apple honk in my life........
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

X

Quote from: Bryancd on December 13, 2010, 11:34:44 AM
Quote from: X on December 13, 2010, 11:29:12 AM

You know what I am going to say... :)

It's kind of like what Newt said Ripley in ALIENS when Ripley told her that the marines all had guns and could protwect her. She said,"It won't matter." ;)
I don't know about that. Both the PSP and the DS aren't just game systems as is. The PSP is a pretty good media player and has the whole sony library and then some for their movies. The PSP can also web browse and other things.

I'm not saying that Sony will win, but when they get their minds set on something, they can be pitbulls and very sneaky. Bluray is a good example of how they push for what they want. Given that they have already put several rival in the ground or forced them to change their business model, I won't count Sony out just yet.

Not that I'm rooting for them or anything, I'm still mad about that HDDVD thing, but  Sony isn't a slouch and they have been putting out a lot of products that people are just as rabid for.

Rico

Like I pointed out earlier, I think there are some things the iPad seems to do well.  But to catch up in gaming is going to take a VERY long time.  And also like I said before, they should stick to what they do best.  But of course there will still be some cool games for it.  They should focus on the touch interface and tilt ability and use those things in games.  Not just ports of old games that aren't designed for the device.

You know what I really want one for is for some quick web surfing, or some comic book reading and maybe some Netflix for a few minutes in bed each night before going to sleep.  That's when it would be very handy.  The rest of the time I like to use my much more powerful PC. 

Bryancd

Quote from: Blackride on December 13, 2010, 11:44:23 AM

Oh yeah, about that whole enterprise thing, JP Morgan is equipping it's entire investment banking division with iPads... how do you like them honk,honks. :)

Blackride

Quote from: Bryancd on December 13, 2010, 12:47:01 PM
Quote from: Blackride on December 13, 2010, 11:44:23 AM

Oh yeah, about that whole enterprise thing, JP Morgan is equipping it's entire investment banking division with iPads... how do you like them honk,honks. :)

And how many people is that?
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Rico

Remind me not to invest with them.  A slip of greasy finger and BANG - there goes my portfolio!  LOL!  ;)