Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

"STAR TREK Into Darkness" - 2013

Started by Rico, June 17, 2009, 04:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billybob476

Quote from: Bryancd on April 18, 2013, 11:09:32 AM
Quote from: ChrisMC on April 18, 2013, 10:58:25 AM
I heard it through the grapevine it's being called a Dreadnaught-class ship.

Which would be a proper in Universe ship class as per the Technical Manual.

You mean this guy?

X

Quote from: Bryancd on April 18, 2013, 07:29:38 AM
All kidding aside, I do find it an odd creative decision to have yet another massive ship for the Enterprise to fight. The last two Trek films, Nemesis and the first JJ movie both had that conceit and it's back yet again. Bit unimpressed.
Bryan, you're forgetting ... V'ger, the whale probe, the son'a ship, and I think I'm missing one. Not only is it a conceit, it's a predominant tradition. If we go with just a more badassed ship, we'd also have to include Undiscovered Country and the cloaked Bird of prey. The only Time they've ever dealt with a ship of similar size and scope was wrath of Khan.

X

Quote from: Rico on April 18, 2013, 07:45:49 AM
Quote from: Bryancd on April 18, 2013, 07:29:38 AM
All kidding aside, I do find it an odd creative decision to have yet another massive ship for the Enterprise to fight. The last two Trek films, Nemesis and the first JJ movie both had that conceit and it's back yet again. Bit unimpressed.

Yeah, I kind of agree.  I also find it strange since this John Harrison is suppose to be "better" than everyone at everything.  So, if that's true wouldn't he be able to take on the Enterprise with an even smaller, less powerful ship?  Anyone can outgun someone else.  How does that make him better?  Hopefully it will all make sense once we see the film.
You could easily say the he's better and has a better ship. It's also his opinion on how he sees himself to the rest of the universe. Being conceited doesn't make your statement fact.

billybob476

Heck, I'm pretty sure Romulan warbirds are bigger then a galaxy class. Not to mention the Borg.

fatfather_2005

to be honest, other than the size, i can't see jack, lol .  besides the baddies have always have to think they are better.
" i am laughing at the superior intellect"( i hope i spelled it all right. lol)
and khan still follows,  even though he has the upper hand.
if it a Dreadnaught-class ship, is it just off the drawing board? 
In the Absense of Light, the Darkness Prevails.

WillEagle

I got goosebumbs watching that trailer! Tons of great movies coming this summer but this tops my list!!

Data

''In William Shatner's book The Return, the USS Monitor was a modified Defiant-class vessel with an all black hull coating that was specially built by Starfleet Intelligence, and was temporarily renamed Enterprise while mounting a direct offensive against the Borg/Romulan alliance at the Borg homeworld. In a later novel of the series, the ship is stranded outside the galaxy and destroyed by the same entity that destroyed the robot ships launched in Kirk's era to the Kelvans' homeworld in the Andromeda Galaxy''

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Monitor

This stuck in my head as ive not long ago read The Return.
"Commander. You just sit tight. We'll have this all fixed up in time for supper. "

Rico

Rico

ChrisMC

Here is a poster an artist named Paul Shipper did for ST '09. Can anyone argue this is superior to what we got for that movie? I guess it's all about not wanting to pay a commision for an artist when the Marketing Dept. can whip up a photoshop. But they are making art.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

WillEagle

That viral video was cool. Gave me chills. I also like that poster better to. The one they used in 2009 was boring!

Rico

That Paul Shipper poster is awesome!  That's what I want to see in a poster.  :)

Ktrek

I would like the poster more if it wasn't a Star Wars style ripoff.
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Quote from: Ktrek on April 20, 2013, 05:56:26 AM
I would like the poster more if it wasn't a Star Wars style ripoff.

I don't see it that way at all.  Look back at Trek posters for Wrath of Khan and First Contact and you will find it similar.  I also like seeing the actual characters on the movie poster too.  Here's another fan made image I found online.

fatfather_2005

i like the poster by paul shipper, but i think they wanted with the first jj star trek to just show very little, to have some mystery. i know how that sounds, it was a big gamble on j.j doing the reboot.
i have seen too many "posters" for the new movie, so i don't know what to think.
In the Absense of Light, the Darkness Prevails.