• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Anyone see the Citibank commercial with the couple rock climbing?

Started by Bryancd, November 26, 2011, 12:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

This one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE4bcq8Plzk&feature=share#

Well Jamie, my best friend Andrew and I did this climb a few years ago! It's called Ancient Art in Moab Utah and was by far the most challenging and frightening climb I have ever done. I got to just below where the woman stand up at the top at the end. I just couldn't get up there, I was too afraid. The drop off is over 800 feet sheer vertical on either side as you traverse that narrow rock bridge. That's what i am sitting on in the one pic below.

moyer777

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

MARKO

Bryan..... that is bad-ass! Utah in my opinion has some of the best scenery i have drove all through the state but your climbing those shear cliffs is very cool.
"Amat Victoria Curam"

Bryancd

Actually the route up is in the rocks to the right of the pinnacle. It's a tight chute you go up and then move out towards the peak.

Bromptonboy

((Brother Bromptonboy removes his hat and salutes Brother Bryan))
Pete

turtlesrock

M-5

ElfManDan

Bryancd

Quote from: Sheppard on November 26, 2011, 04:59:06 PM
That is so cool. Looks like so much fun.

It was but it was billed as an easy climb and it was nothing of the sort. To this day when I climbed to the top in that pic above where I am waving but it's kind of dark was the most exposed and endangered I have ever felt....I don't scare easy.

ElfManDan

I'm sure I'd feel like that too so high up on the edge, but I know that certain exhilaration from doing something like that. And the feeling of having done it. Taking on the challenge, physically and mentally and beating it. So cool.

davekill

Bryan your a wildman!

Congratulations on that awesome climb :)

There are a lot of rants at the moment about Alex Honnold appearing in that commercial but nothing about the woman. Can you imagine doing a half dozen takes of standing on top while a helicopter is circling overhead? - no rotor wash but still an amazing feat.

Bryancd

She's got nerves of steel, Dave! I was told by our guide if I did decide to go and try and stand on it that it wasn't very stable!

ElfManDan

I don't think I'd trust standing on it... without a parachute (or without being Ezio Auditore).

Bryancd

Quote from: Sheppard on November 27, 2011, 12:04:28 PM
I don't think I'd trust standing on it... without a parachute (or without being Ezio Auditore).

You are on belay and as long as you trust in the belay system and the guide at the other end, you aren't going to fall to your death. However, his anchor point is a good 15 feet away from where you are nearing the top. So if you fall, you are going to drop down, take up that slack, and then swing towards where he is sitting holding the rope, about 15 feet below him. It's gonna hurt and you are likely going to swing into the rock. That was his warning to us before crossing the bridge over toward the little pinnacle.

ElfManDan

I kid, I've done enough rock climbing to know how that works. I was just getting Assassin's Creed flashes thinking about standing on the top of that.