• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

This year's Thanksgiving Menu

Started by moyer777, November 21, 2011, 11:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moyer777

So what are you doing for Thanksgiving this year?  And what's on the Menu.

At my house this year, we are doing a dinner on Wednesday then traveling to my sister's house on Thanksgiving.

The menu for Wednesday:
Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Stuffed Mushrooms
Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
Sparkling cider
Rolls
Pumpkin Pie

Should be yummy!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bromptonboy

Oooooh - I like the sound of those bacon wrapped water chestnuts...
Pete

X

I'm working on creating a new recipe this year. I'm not sure what that's going to be, but I'm tired of ham and turkey. It's also way too soon for a feast of seven fishes. Plus Bryan has the holiday sushi bit locked down already.

My first idea was a cranberry, maple, and pomegranate  glazed pork tenderloin with some balsamic as the acid (unless I can find a citrus that was here around the first thanksgiving), but I'm still not sure I have the time to test and perfect before the big day. I know that I will be making a sweet potato creme fraiche mash. I'll also make some marshmallows since I didn't do it last year.

We're also going to make apple pie from the apple my daughter got from the orchards around here.

iceman

turtlesrock

ham
mashed potatoes
rolls
cranberry sauce
pumpkin cheesecake

funny video:
Riker Does Thanksgiving

Jobydrone

We are doing turkey day at my wife's parents this year, and the whole family is coming...50+ people including all the siblings, cousins, spouses, and her parent's close friends and their immediate families.  The meal is potluck style, and I am responsible for the stuffing. 

I have an old family recipe that I am augmenting with an online recipe I got from Epicurious.  Here's the Epicurioust part, the main difference is I use Challa bread instead of Sourdough and lots of butter along with the bacon drippings.  I made it last year for about 12 people and it was a huge hit, not sure how I'm going to make it for so many more this year.  I am up for the challenge though!

Bread Stuffing with Mushrooms and Bacon

main ingredients
Mushroom,  Bacon,  Bread

The turkey's flavors of bacon and sage are repeated in this robust stuffing. Mushrooms, which have long been hunted in the heartland, add a nice touch.

Ingredients1 1/4 pounds sourdough bread, crusts trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 12 cups)
3/4 pound bacon (about 12 slices), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only; about 2 medium)
3 cups chopped celery
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons dried sage leaves
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups (or more) canned low-salt chicken broth
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
PreparationPreheat oven to 325°F. Spread bread cubes on 2 baking sheets. Bake until bread cubes are dry and crisp, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Transfer bread to large bowl.   Sauté bacon in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat until brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels and drain. Pour off all but 1/4 cup drippings from skillet. Add chopped leeks and celery to skillet and sauté until tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, sage, thyme, salt and pepper and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Pour mushroom mixture over bread cubes. Add bacon and toss to blend. Mix in 2 cups broth. (Stuffing can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Beat eggs and baking powder in small bowl to blend. Mix eggs into stuffing; moisten stuffing with more broth if stuffing is dry. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Bake stuffing until cooked through and golden brown on top, about 1 hour.

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Geekyfanboy

I'm having two Thanksgiving.. one with family on Thursday and one with Friends (who have no family out here) on Friday.

Family one I assume since I'm not making it... we're having Turkey, mash potatoes, corn, yams, green beans, rolls, stuffing, cranberry sauce and pumpkin & apple pie

Friends one I'm making Turkey and Ham and everyone else is bringing sides.. so will see what arrives.

Rico

I'd love to deep fry a turkey like the Shat one year, but we will all just be over at Lynn's brothers for Turkey Day.

moyer777

Here is a little demo of my Bacon stuffed Mushrooms and how to make them. 
http://youtu.be/Uz1YvsUJ64A

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on November 22, 2011, 09:05:13 AM
I'd love to deep fry a turkey like the Shat one year, but we will all just be over at Lynn's brothers for Turkey Day.

My friend did thAt for us one year and man it came out amazing. But it's a reall challenge to. Ate right..and safely!

ricdude

In addition to the usual classics, we like to add these to the menu:

Tres Leches Cake, recipe by The Pioneer Woman
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/09/tres-leches-cake/

Nantucket Cranberry Pie, same source
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/11/nantucket-cranberry-pie/

(the site goes a little crazy on the tilt shift effect, but her recipes are A. Maze. Ing)

Happy turkeys, folks!