• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Podcast # 893 is now up covering TV Themes

Main Menu

Star Wars fan kills wife after she damages his collection

Started by bevs_plaything, November 03, 2011, 02:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisMC

This is the sort of thing that gives sci-fi fans a bad name....there's nutters in every group. The headline should say "A-hole kills wife...." not "Star wars fan".
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

ElfManDan

Sounds like a terrible marriage in general. The Star Wars thing is just a small part of the end result.

Ktrek

I hope he spends the rest of his natural life in prison. Twelve years would be unfair to the memory of his wife.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

ori-STUDFARM

I think they're making more of the smashing of the Star Wars collection than is really needed. As an after thought they add to the story

QuoteHe also claimed he "flipped" when she threatened to leave him to go back to Thailand....

.....My wife is from Thailand and she keeps threatening to leave. We argued and she said she was going to make my life hell

I would imagine this had as much, if not more, of an affect on his mental state than the actual smashing of his collection. But, of course, they see an angle with which to write the story from and live up to the stereotype that Star Wars fans aren't normal people!!

Not that I'm trying justify his actions or anything. It's just the way the story has been reported that annoys

jedijeff

Putting Star Wars in the title will grab peoples attention. The thing that sort of bothers me with this article is they feel like they need to put the Star Wars Logo in it as well. Just seems like they are really pushing the Star Wars connection in the murder. Sounded like the guy had a temper, and probably would have snapped regardless. I feel bad for his wife, sounds like it was not a very good marriage, and cost her life, to bad she did not go back home.

This sort of reminds me of a murder that happened in my home town a few years ago. There was a guy who had made a Star wars fan film, and ended up luring some poor fellow to a garage and murdering him as inspiration for another non Star Wars movie he was going to make. But the media kept on playing up the Star Wars angle, even though it had no motivation for this murder. The guy was always referred to as a Star Wars fan film director in just about every news story. They had some pictures of him in Star Wars costumes, or just Star Wars pictures in the articles. He was found guilty, but the media never did drop the Star Wars connection ever from their reporting..

X

Quote from: jedijeff on November 03, 2011, 05:52:45 PM
Putting Star Wars in the title will grab peoples attention. The thing that sort of bothers me with this article is they feel like they need to put the Star Wars Logo in it as well. Just seems like they are really pushing the Star Wars connection in the murder. Sounded like the guy had a temper, and probably would have snapped regardless. I feel bad for his wife, sounds like it was not a very good marriage, and cost her life, to bad she did not go back home.

Yeah, but at the same time, if you are married to someone with a temper, you don't destroy the stuff they love and not expect some sort of repercussion.  This is a pretty sad thing, but it's also one that could have easily been prevented. The guy is really messed up, but it takes a special kind of lunacy to poke a bear and then wait for it to attack.

Edit: Again, I'm not trying to justify the man's actions, but it seems like he had a serious fit of rage when his wife started destroying his stuff. This was his stuff from childhood and some people are FAR more sentimental than others about that. We don't know if he was a total creep or someone that actually snapped and losing something they were emotionally invested in. I wish there were more facts to the case and think that it would be a interesting trial. I can see several ways that this could play out.

X

Quote from: jedijeff on November 03, 2011, 05:52:45 PM

This sort of reminds me of a murder that happened in my home town a few years ago. There was a guy who had made a Star wars fan film, and ended up luring some poor fellow to a garage and murdering him as inspiration for another non Star Wars movie he was going to make. But the media kept on playing up the Star Wars angle, even though it had no motivation for this murder. The guy was always referred to as a Star Wars fan film director in just about every news story. They had some pictures of him in Star Wars costumes, or just Star Wars pictures in the articles. He was found guilty, but the media never did drop the Star Wars connection ever from their reporting..
They had the director guy's story on a news program a few weeks ago.

turtlesrock

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: X on November 03, 2011, 07:04:37 PM
Yeah, but at the same time, if you are married to someone with a temper, you don't destroy the stuff they love and not expect some sort of repercussion.  This is a pretty sad thing, but it's also one that could have easily been prevented. The guy is really messed up, but it takes a special kind of lunacy to poke a bear and then wait for it to attack.

Edit: Again, I'm not trying to justify the man's actions, but it seems like he had a serious fit of rage when his wife started destroying his stuff. This was his stuff from childhood and some people are FAR more sentimental than others about that. We don't know if he was a total creep or someone that actually snapped and losing something they were emotionally invested in. I wish there were more facts to the case and think that it would be a interesting trial. I can see several ways that this could play out.

Really X, I know you say you're not trying to justify the mans actions but you're putting blame on this poor woman  "if you are married to someone with a temper, you don't destroy the stuff they love and not expect some sort of repercussion." She broke his toys.. he killed her. He's in the wrong 100%

X

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on November 03, 2011, 08:35:28 PM
Quote from: X on November 03, 2011, 07:04:37 PM

Really X, I know you say you're not trying to justify the mans actions but you're putting blame on this poor woman  "if you are married to someone with a temper, you don't destroy the stuff they love and not expect some sort of repercussion." She broke his toys.. he killed her. He's in the wrong 100%
I totally agree that he's wrong and there is no justification, but this is something that might have been 100% preventable. As for the blame on the woman. Yeah, I do put some of the blame on her. I don't think her intent was to be murdered, but what she did was done to hurt him and get a response from him. There is no way that she did it think that he was just going to shrug it off. Is it a PC view? Probably not, but it's a realistic one. She destroyed his stuff and if it was with the intent to hurt him and piss him off, it worked far too well.

Again, I think he should go to jail for what he did, but from the story that was written, she most certainly played a role in the events that led to her murder.

X

ori-STUDFARM

I would imagine that she was far from perfect and that the pair of them both had "issues". Unfortunately, it cost somebody their life and another has to suffer the consequences of his actions. It doesn't sound like it was premeditated, but it was murder. The whole story is sad. And is then made worse in my eyes because of the Star Wars angle

Rico

All this story shows is some people are really messed up.  Very sad.