• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

DC Comics - The New 52!!!!

Started by WillEagle, August 12, 2011, 09:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Seems like you have been enjoying these "52" books more than me.  Actually I'm pretty under-whelmed so far.  A couple I've enjoyed but most, mehh.  One thing I'm noticing is so far none are drawing me into characters that I've not enjoyed or followed in the past.  I thought maybe I'd get sucked into reading a new title - like the Teen Titans or Legion, etc.  But, nope - not interested.  So far I like the Bat-books, Supes, Supergirl, ...  I need to read a few more of the recent issues.  Oh, Green Lantern was ok too, but I've followed that book before.  One thing odd to me is for all the hype, they didn't change nearly as much as I thought they would.

Jobydrone

Superman seems pretty different.  More of an edge to him, weaker (if he wasn't lying about his arms getting tired from holding up a tanker truck) and no underoos outside his pants!

Batman seems exactly the same, except for Alfred. (sob!)  Is one of the Batman titles outside of the regular continuity and focusing on his early years?  I wish they'd do that again.

Have not read any of the others, though kind of interested in picking up Swamp Thing.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Jobydrone

They haven't explained in detail yet but the impression they gave is that he is either a computer program or robot or something.  Oh and by sob I meant *cry* not s.o.b.  I hope they didn't go the route of Jarvis in the Iron Man flicks and make him AI.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on September 30, 2011, 08:52:09 AM
They haven't explained in detail yet but the impression they gave is that he is either a computer program or robot or something.  Oh and by sob I meant *cry* not s.o.b.  I hope they didn't go the route of Jarvis in the Iron Man flicks and make him AI.

Are you speaking based on what issue/title?  I didn't get this impression from reading Batman #1.

X

I didn't get that impression either.

Jobydrone

Yeah I just reread Detective Comics #1 and realized I misread the scene with Alfred.  It was only two pages and I must have been speed reading because I had alot of comics to get through that day or something.  He was talking about holograms, uploading and syncing to his computer, and his "distress meter" and I guess I thought he sounded like a robot, duh.  Anyway, I was kind of bummed they did that with Jarvis in Iron Man so I'm glad I was wrong here.

Rico

Hey, you know what title I liked a lot that surprised me, "Aquaman" #1.  They seem to be really trying to make him someone fun to read about.  Might keep up on this one.

WillEagle

Yes, Rico I have been enjoying these quite a bit. More than I thought I would. I have gotten into 9 titles that I may not be able to keep up with all of them. I picked up Action Comics, JLI, Green Arrow #2's and I also grabbed Detective #1 2nd printing because Jeremy was telling me which 2nd printings he got in. Sooo I got one of the Detective and he put Detective #2 in my box for next week. I know you guys really like the Batman comics so I wanted to give one a shot.
I read JLI and Green Arrow and rate both an 8. I didn't like them as well as the #1's. Still need to read Action and the Detective comics.
Rico, you said in an earlier post that you may check out the Flash. Did you get a chance to do that? They didn't have any Flash or Aquaman when i got to the shop so I missed those. Here is a pic of the issues I picked up!

Rico

Yep, I read The Flash #1.  It was pretty good.  He's probably one of the characters I know the least about so I might try and follow this book for awhile.

WillEagle

This past week I did pick up Detective #2 but still haven't read #1 or 2 yet. They did have a second printing of Flash but i just better not get into another one of the new 52. I have already gotten into 7 of these and if I stick with Detective comics thats 8. And I also get Captain America, The Avengers, Star Trek, DC Universe Online Legends, and Captain America Corps which ends with this weeks issue. And there is a new HULK comic, coming out this week I think, that I would like to start!!
Action #2 was really good a very strong 9.  It has a good story going by Grant Morrison.
Green Arrow #2 - 8.
JLI #2 - 8. 

WillEagle

I will be picking up some new ones today but last week i picked up 3 of the New 52.
Supergirl #2 - 8. A battle with her cousin.
The Green Lantern Corps #2 - 9. This series has started out great!
Justice League #2. Haven't read this yet.

WillEagle

Picked up #2 of The Fury of Firestorm and was going to get #2 Superman but he had sold out. I got their earlier than I normally do because of being on vacation but he said he was really busy when he opened up. He was going to try and order it for me.

WillEagle

Read Firestorm #2 and didn't like it as much as the first issue. Maybe because I read it after the World Series game and it was almost midnight is why i didn't like it as much. Shouldn't read one that late and not after the team I rooted for loses the Series!

WillEagle

Posting this late but these are the 52 I picked up last Friday. Don't have any for this week. I have really been enjoying the Action Comics series.
Here's a pic of the ones I picked up Friday.