• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Make sure to join the Treks in Sci-Fi group on Facebook.

Main Menu

Enterprise like or hate. Opinions please.

Started by mac1701, July 01, 2011, 08:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poodyglitz

Quote from: davekill on July 02, 2011, 03:58:31 PM
I wouldn't be too hard on the cast. Seems that the same kind of executive decisions that kill good sci fi on Fox should be given the credit at UPN as well.

I recall an interview I heard with Scott Bakula regarding his role as Capt. Archer. When asked if he could make suggestions or ad-lib any scenes, I was surprised at how carefully he responded to the question. Saying the actors were not allowed any latitude, the studio made certain all cast stay with the script.

Fair enough. I certainly believe that could have happened, given the fact that Berman and Braga seemed to think they could write and produce the show. I was going to avoid bringing up B&B  because so much bashing has been done in the past. That said, I definitely believe that the producers thought they really knew what Star Trek needed and missed the mark. What's goofy about the lack of input allowed by the cast is that if B&B had produced the original series, we probably would not have gotten the vulcan hand sign. To deny actors input is kind of like putting a good chef on a burger flipping assembly line. I'm sure the network probably tried to tinker with the show, but it always smelled to me like the producers were trying to re-create Trek in their own image. Perhaps I'm wrong, but that's what my gut tells me. I can see how for Bakula and the cast how uncomfortable it must have been to do interviews on the subject of being creative and being stifled.

Braga might have apologized for the final episode of the series:

http://io9.com/5151942/sorry-about-that-whole-enterprise-ending-thing
http://www.mediapundit.net/2007/08/brannon-braga-apologizes-for-enterprise-finale.html

In my opinion, he has so much more to apologize for (even that wasn't really much of an apology). Hopefully, we'll get one after he's gotten a little more distance from the experience.

Even though Enterprise didn't quite hold together as a series, it's nice to watch sometimes and dream about what could have been. I really believe that if it had been handled properly, Enterprise could have surpassed DS9 and Voyager.

But that's just me.

Here's an interesting sound bite of Harve Bennet on being a producer:

http://youtu.be/0YedhOOT5OU

X

Quote from: Ktrek on July 02, 2011, 08:56:12 PM
Quote from: X on July 02, 2011, 08:32:05 PM

Actually with the number they had then they would get 10 seasons if it was on the air today with the same.

So you believe that a series at mid-season below a 4 would survive ten seasons? And Enterprise was at a 2.5 by mid season two. You really believe those kind of ratings even today would keep a show on ten years on a major network?

Kevin
Yep, supernatural averaged a 2.47 for season 6 and is renewed for season 7. Nikita rates a 1.9 and is getting another season too

Here is what I pulled from Smallville wiki

The following is a table for the seasonal rankings, based on average total estimated viewers per episode, of Smallville on The WB and The CW. "Rank" refers to how Smallville rated compared to the other television series which aired during primetime hours.
Season   Timeslot (ET/PT)   Network   Premiered   Ended   Rank   Viewers
(in millions)
Date   Premiere
Viewers
(in millions)   Date   Finale
Viewers
(in millions)
Season 1   Tuesday 9/8C   The WB   October 16, 2001   8.40[167]   May 21, 2002   3.80[168]   #115[169]   5.90[169]
Season 2   September 24, 2002   8.70[170]   May 20, 2003   N/A   #113[171]   6.30[171]
Season 3   Wednesday 8/7C   October 1, 2003   N/A   May 19, 2004   5.92[172]   #141[173]   4.96[173]
Season 4   September 22, 2004   6.07[174]   May 18, 2005   5.47[175]   #124[176]   4.40[176]
Season 5   Thursday 8/7C   September 29, 2005   5.90[177]   May 11, 2006   4.85[178]   #117[179]   4.70[179]
Season 6   The CW   September 28, 2006   4.96[180]   May 17, 2007   4.14[181]   #125[182]   4.10[182]
Season 7   September 27, 2007   5.18[183]   May 15, 2008   3.85[184]   #175[185]   3.77[185]
Season 8   September 18, 2008   4.34[186]   May 14, 2009   3.13[187]   #152[188]   3.74[188]
Season 9   Friday 8/7C   September 25, 2009[189]   2.58[190]   May 14, 2010   2.45[191]   #129[192]   2.38[192]
Season 10   September 24, 2010[193]   2.98[194]   May 13, 2011[195]   3.02[196]   #202[197]   3.19[198]
[edit]

WillEagle

I enjoyed Enterprise and I also liked season 4 the best. I wish it would have continued. And as far as the finale, being a big Riker-Troi fan, I didn't like it to much.

M-5

I enjoyed Enterprise.  I wished that we could have at least got to the Earth-Romulan Conflict.

turtlesrock

Quote from: M-5 on July 03, 2011, 01:38:03 PM
I enjoyed Enterprise.  I wished that we could have at least got to the Earth-Romulan Conflict.

that would be nice. maybe more with the klingons too.... ;)
i watched several episodes today (i don't remember the titles)
[spoiler]one was about trip when he fell into a coma and had to be cloned. it was pretty good.[/spoiler]

spaltor

I avoided Enterprise for a long time, but finally watched it at the urging of a friend. The first season was rough, but some of the stuff in the third and fourth seasons was really great.  I found the Xindi, as a species, to be really interesting, even thought I sometimes got annoyed with that story arc.

The thing I wish we had in Enterprise was more "beginnings."  We meet all of these aliens throughout the series that we haven't seen before.  Should we  assume they're around in later years, and we just never saw them in TNG, DS9, etc?  I would have been interested to see early dealings with the Bolians, or first contact with Bajor or something.  Exploration of a different aspect of cultures that we're already familiar with from other series.  (Although, I'll admit they did a good job of this with the Andorians - I just wish there was more of it.)

Poodyglitz

The relationship with the Andorians was probably the best thing in Enterprise.  :andorian

The early proto-Prime Directive discussions and episodes were cool.

Jobydrone

I loved it, they're my third favorite crew behind TNG and TOS.  I especially loved Bakula's performance as Archer, and I believe I am alone on the forums and perhaps in the world in that I really enjoyed the series finale.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Feathers

Yes, a goo series but stinger towards the end.

I didn't like the way that some of the standard starfleet tech was conveniently introduced about season two but the stories through three and four were strong. I think the season four stories could have been even better if they'd been allowed to spread them and extend them through a few more seasons.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Poodyglitz

Quote from: Feathers on July 08, 2011, 09:12:53 AM
Yes, a goo series but stinger towards the end.

I didn't like the way that some of the standard starfleet tech was conveniently introduced about season two but the stories through three and four were strong. I think the season four stories could have been even better if they'd been allowed to spread them and extend them through a few more seasons.

I think you meant "stinker"?

Totally agree that about season 4. Would have been nice to see those stories (except the finale) in season 2 or 3.

Jen

Yes. I liked the series. Wasn't a fan of the Xindi crap. But the rest was pretty good.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

QuadShot

I enjoyed Enterprise. I thought it was pretty well done, of course, there were some not awesome episodes, but what series doesn't have their off episodes? I loved Archer, awesome acting job by Scott, loved Tripp and Malcom.

Bryancd

Yeah, I think "Enterprise" had a great cast, all the main actors did a terrific job.

billybob476

Yup, love the show. I enjoyed the "experiment" they did in season 3 with the story arc and I also really liked where they were going with season 4. The show really hit its stride, if only it had a bit more time.