• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica- For the First Time!

Started by AwesomeRococo, July 04, 2011, 11:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AwesomeRococo

Quote from: Rico on July 05, 2011, 07:19:50 AM
Oh, and just in case you didn't know.  Starbuck is kinda my favorite character!   :wub

Whats funny is that I knew of her and Tricia Helfer from other genre stuff (Chuck, etc) but never understood where all the love was coming from in the genre population at large. I get it now! Same with Edward James Olmos- saw him at opening night at a show in LA last year, and new he was big in the nerd community, but wasn't sure why.

AwesomeRococo

Quote from: Bryancd on July 05, 2011, 11:25:09 AM
By the way, I still have the entire series on DVD I am selling! :)

Shoot, wish I saw this 4 hours ago! JJust bought the first 3 seasons individually on amazon.com.. are you selling the box set or seperate seasons? How much?

Bryancd

I have Season 1 Box Set, Season 2.0 Box Set, Season 2.5 Box Set, and Season 3 Box Set. How about $30 for the whole series? Amazon will take a return no problem.

Feathers

I too went through BSG in (more or less) one hit. It reached the point that I'd occasionally sneak home from work and watch an episode over lunch. The only drawback to this approach is that it's over that much more quickly.

(Halfway through I discovered that my brother had the second two seasons on DVD so my viewing pace increased)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

davekill

I consumed the series as soon as it was available on-line.
I don't envy anyone who had to wait through the writers strike, that must have been awful.

Such an intriguing story - the one large story arch worked well.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: Feathers on July 08, 2011, 04:41:56 AM
I too went through BSG in (more or less) one hit. It reached the point that I'd occasionally sneak home from work and watch an episode over lunch. The only drawback to this approach is that it's over that much more quickly.

(Halfway through I discovered that my brother had the second two seasons on DVD so my viewing pace increased)

Sounds like the same way I went through 'Lost'.  Did seasons 1-5 over a period of a few months with the wife before the final season. 
Pete

AwesomeRococo

Quote from: billybob476 on July 05, 2011, 06:56:10 AM
Just wait until Exodus part 2.
Haven't gotten there yet, but just saw 'The Hand of God', and wow. Watching this show feels like going to school for storytelling. The use of negative space and sound, the ability to illustrate and create a highly conceptualized and complicated space battle with almost none of the requisite space shots (the use of the models in the battle floored me- what an idea!) and of course the music. And the ability to tell such a highly serialized story, with so many components, seamlessly woven in and out of the plots. Just amazing.

Rico

Glad you are watching and enjoying it as much as I think we all did.  I watched it as it aired and kind of like it that way.  I think it builds maybe a bit more suspense.  But if you missed it the first go, this is a great way to catch up.  Definitely a series you need to watch from the start.

wraith1701

Quote from: AwesomeRococo on July 10, 2011, 01:36:46 AM
Quote from: billybob476 on July 05, 2011, 06:56:10 AM
Just wait until Exodus part 2.
Haven't gotten there yet, but just saw 'The Hand of God', and wow. Watching this show feels like going to school for storytelling. The use of negative space and sound, the ability to illustrate and create a highly conceptualized and complicated space battle with almost none of the requisite space shots (the use of the models in the battle floored me- what an idea!) and of course the music. And the ability to tell such a highly serialized story, with so many components, seamlessly woven in and out of the plots. Just amazing.

Hand Of God is a great episode, and a nice splash of familial warmth amidst the gloom & doom of season 1.  I'm a fighter-ship nut, so the scenes with the vipers had me grinning like a kid on christmas. :)  The music for this episode is pretty cool too; "A Good Lighter" and "Wander My Friends" convinced me to start buying Bear McCreary's BSG soundtracks.  Each and every one of them is incredible.

It's good to see a new fan discover BSG.  You are in for a fun ride.

AwesomeRococo

Quote from: Rico on July 10, 2011, 04:59:14 AM
Glad you are watching and enjoying it as much as I think we all did.  I watched it as it aired and kind of like it that way.  I think it builds maybe a bit more suspense.  But if you missed it the first go, this is a great way to catch up.  Definitely a series you need to watch from the start.

There's a visceral downside to watching it like this so quickly- I envy those that got to enjoy it at it's intended speed- I feel like it would play much more powerfully that way, weighted down by time.

Originally I intended to watch it as it aired on BBC here, but after 3 episodes I was so hooked, I had to keep going. Im on the last 2 eps of season 1 now, so I might take a break before starting season 2 to digest it a bit before continuing.

AwesomeRococo

Quote from: wraith1701 on July 10, 2011, 08:12:15 AM
Hand Of God is a great episode, and a nice splash of familial warmth amidst the gloom & doom of season 1.  I'm a fighter-ship nut, so the scenes with the vipers had me grinning like a kid on christmas. :)  The music for this episode is pretty cool too; "A Good Lighter" and "Wander My Friends" convinced me to start buying Bear McCreary's BSG soundtracks.  Each and every one of them is incredible.

It's good to see a new fan discover BSG.  You are in for a fun ride.

You're right about the soundtrack, it's fantastic. Been trying to download it, and not having success. Going to have to suck it up and buy it outright ;-)

Just finished Kobals Last Gleaming Part 2 (Season 1 Finale) and all I can say is Holy Frak. There are so many game changers in that thing, it's kind of blowing my mind. I had planned on taking a break before starting season 2, but now I'm not sure how long I can wait. Roslins in the brig, Adama's been shot, Starbuck is on Caprica, one Boomer just shot Admaa, the other is pregnant??!! This show is insane and wonderful.

Also started listing to Ronald Moore BSG podcast where he goes back over the episodes- the insights are really great to hear, and brings a lot more layers to the episode. Maybe I'll finish up those podcasts for season 1, rewatch Kobal 1&2, then move on to Season 2.... This already feels like it does to read an awesome book- you want to watch as fast as you can, then you don't want it to be over. I'm already dreading the end, and I'm only 14 episodes in!