• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

New "Star Wars" trilogy in 2015?

Started by Rico, June 08, 2011, 04:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Ok, this is obviously a BIG rumor and of course it's been tossed around for years.  Keep in mind way back in the very early days of SW when the first film came out in 1977, George had a very famous interview in Rolling Stone magazine that stated he wanted to do nine films in all.  But even with that, take this rumor with a big grain of salt.

George Lucas reportedly creating Star Wars sequel trilogy (that's not about the Skywalkers)
 Cyriaque Lamar —

Big honking Saturday morning rumor here! According to IESB.net, George Lucas will be creating a new trilogy once the first six Star Wars movies go 3D. This echoes what Lucas did in the 1990s after the original trilogy was rereleased.

When you check the link, IESB.net may be down from a traffic surge, but here are the pertinent details:

George Lucas is plotting to create new Star Wars movies at the ultra top-secret Skywalker Ranch. This is deja vu of the mid '90s when Uncle George start[ed] tweaking the Holy Trilogy to gear up for the Special Editions. [...] These new film will have nothing to do with the live action television series currently in development. That show already has over 50 scripts ready to go and plenty of pre-production time and money has been spent on artwork and storyboards. Once that show goes into production, Lucasfilm hopes to be able to produce at least 100 episodes since that is the threshold for syndication in the United States [...Fans] can expect the new trilogy after the entire saga is released in 3D which is expected to be complete around 2015 or 2016.

Also, the trilogy is reported to kick off approximately 24 months after the 3Ding of Return of the Jedi, and the next three episodes (which could be either Episodes 7-9 or 10-12) could possibly "occur as far as 100 years or 1,000 years in the Star Wars universe future." Furthermore, the IESB source claims that the movie will not focus on the Skywalker clan.

IESB's broken a couple pretty big scoops (including Joss Whedon being tapped to direct The Avengers and the PG-13 rating of Revenge of the Sith), but it's a rumor that should nonetheless be taken with a grain of salt.

UPDATE: Underwire reports that Lucasfilm has denied the possibility of a new trilogy, but that's expected either way.

http://io9.com/5671581/george-lucas-reported-creating-new-star-wars-sequel-trilogy-thats-not-about-the-skywalkers

X

Wait ... this news seems off. They are talking about a new trilogy that isn't connected to the tv series, but their info on the TV series is pretty damned wrong. Didn't Lucas announce that they were not doing a tv show anymore because of budget concerns ect?

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: X on June 08, 2011, 04:54:59 PM
Wait ... this news seems off. They are talking about a new trilogy that isn't connected to the tv series, but their info on the TV series is pretty damned wrong. Didn't Lucas announce that they were not doing a tv show anymore because of budget concerns ect?

Yeah, it's postponed indefinitely.

Calling this a pointless rumor myself...and fake.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Bryancd

I think it's very unlikely. I think a TV show or a more cimematic animated show is way more likely. Just look at that KOTOR trailer, that's the first 10min of a film right there.

Rico

Yeah, this rumor has been floating around and out there for a bit.  Fun to dream about the idea though.  I like Bryan's thought about a more cinematic, animated version for a new film or series.

Bromptonboy

I'll take it!  Although I agree - just vapor probably.
Pete

Bryancd

Yeah, and it would be right in George's wheelhouse of pushing new technology and not working with pesky live actors. :)

Geekyfanboy

Live TV series is not dead.. they have 50 scripts. They are just waiting for technology to catch up so they can do these as cinematically as possible on a TV budget. I think in a few years that should be doable.

turtlesrock

better go find that grain of salt...
ah, well, it's fun to think about. wonder what they will come up with...