• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Windows 8

Started by Geekyfanboy, June 02, 2011, 12:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillEagle

I sell pc's and software among other things at work. Whenever there is a new OS my job can get very...interesting. In my expierance most folks don't like change. I don't mind because even saying that it will bring in more business.

Dangelus

Windows 8 tablet

You know, this could work. I'm not keen on the Metro UI, too big and colourful I think but....

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59mP3R4I8wU[/embed]

KingIsaacLinksr

Eh, we will see.  Windows 8 will be coming out about the same time as iOS6 and their next gen tech.  So it will be interesting to see how Apple "responds" to Windows 8.  For now, this is all vaporware until it hits the market, so I'm not all that excited about it. Mostly because Windows is promising way too much to work and as we all know, MS products have 1 good release and 1 bad release and we are on the bad release....

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

I'm not keen on MS trying to push a touch OS out to desktop users.  Why do this?  Are we all going to start tapping on our monitors?  I just read a multi-page article in Maximum PC about Win 8.  I'm not super happy about some of the proposed changes.  Might be keeping Win 7 for quite awhile.  :)

X

Quote from: Rico on September 16, 2011, 08:34:20 AM
I'm not keen on MS trying to push a touch OS out to desktop users.  Why do this?  Are we all going to start tapping on our monitors?  I just read a multi-page article in Maximum PC about Win 8.  I'm not super happy about some of the proposed changes.  Might be keeping Win 7 for quite awhile.  :)
Didn't you say that you wanted more trek tech progression?

Dangelus

I think the advantage will be in the cross compatibility with the desktop. Although you can do most things with iOS you can't do everything. This can. If they pull this off it may be good news for Microsoft.

PaulECoyote

I find it amusing that the discussions on this thread seem to be about alternative platforms "winning" rather than about Windows 8 itself :)

Rico

I've read several articles on Win 8.  For a tablet or mobile device it sounds fine, but not for a desktop until touch surfaces are all built into my desktop surface.  I don't want to have to lean over to tap my monitor all the time to do things.  Of course, a lot of that Metro interface (as it's known) can be turned off in Win 8.  Which is a very good thing!

X

Quote from: Rico on January 04, 2012, 04:01:25 PM
I've read several articles on Win 8.  For a tablet or mobile device it sounds fine, but not for a desktop until touch surfaces are all built into my desktop surface.  I don't want to have to lean over to tap my monitor all the time to do things.  Of course, a lot of that Metro interface (as it's known) can be turned off in Win 8.  Which is a very good thing!
You don't need a touch surface to use it. Your mouse will still work fine.

Dangelus

Been playing with Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Liking it so far.

http://www.dangelus.com/teknocratik/?p=84

sheldor

I watched the preview and I'm not sure why MS will kill the start button.  I've always MS should allow us to use the last UI instead of this giving out marching orders.  The number of touch pad systems are increasing (remember when those monitors used to cost a small fortune?).  The mouse and keyboard are still the major input devices.   I may upgrade to 7 by the end of the year but I'm still an old fashioned XP kinda guy.  I would like to check out the framework for touchpad systems.  Its been my experience that the 1.0 dev components have more than their share of bugs.

Rico

Wow - only $39.99 to upgrade to Win 8 from Win XP - Win 7 current users.  That's not a bad price - but I won't be adopting anytime soon.  Offer will be good only until Jan. 31, 2013.

http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/240003123/microsoft-to-offer-39-99-upgrade-to-windows-8.htm

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on July 03, 2012, 08:33:14 AM
Wow - only $39.99 to upgrade to Win 8 from Win XP - Win 7 current users.  That's not a bad price - but I won't be adopting anytime soon.  Offer will be good only until Jan. 31, 2013.

http://www.crn.com/news/applications-os/240003123/microsoft-to-offer-39-99-upgrade-to-windows-8.htm

To clarify, it's an update to W8 PRO which is a great price considering. This also means Windows Media Center users can install that component for "free" with this upgrade. Good move from Microsoft although like you I won't be upgrading. I don't use Windows apart for HTPCs, and they already do all I need. :)

X

I'm already running 8 on most of my systems and will upgrade the rest tonight. i'm loving it. there was about a 10 minute learning curve, but other than that, it's great.