• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

The next podcast will be on Feb. 19th and will be a guest cast by Mark.

Main Menu

Once Upon a Time

Started by Geekyfanboy, May 18, 2011, 08:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaltor

Just watched last night, and I LOVE it.  It's not what I was expecting, somehow, from the early previews - it's better!  Really looking forward to seeing more of this story unfold.

Geekyfanboy

This makes me happy Ratings: ONCE UPON A TIME Enchants 12.8 Million Viewers, Tops All Non-Sports Programs http://t.co/GfK5nZfQ AWESOME!!!

Bippity Boppity Boo! ABC's Once Upon a Time worked its magic on Nielsen households, premiering to 12.8 million total viewers while scoring a robust 3.9 demo rating. That translates into Sunday night's most-watched and highest-rated non-sports programming, opposite NBC football and Fox's World Series Game 4 coverage.

Once's tallies represent almost double what Extreme Makeover: Home Edition last did in the Sundays-at-8 slot. In fact, it's ABC's biggest audience in the time period with regular programming since March 2008 and its best 18-49 performance there in three years.

Reader Poll: Did Once Upon a Time Works Its Magic On You?

Even factoring in Sunday Night Football and the World Series, Once was Sunday's second-most watched of all programs, and it matched baseball for the No. 2 ranking in demo delivery. Once stands as this TV season's highest-rated drama debut, joining ABC's Revenge in the Top 2.

Elsewhere on Sunday night:

* Sunday Night Football's presentation of a record-setting blowout waned every half hour to average 11.24 million total viewers and a 4.6 rating, plunging 30 percent week-to-week. The World Series Game 4 (13.5 mil/3.9) was up 17 and 23 percent from Game 3.

* Opposite sports and Once, The Amazing Race (9.9 mil/2.7) held steady and even drew a few extra eyeballs.

* In the 9 o'clock hour, a highly entertaining episode of The Good Wife (9.6 mil/2.0) dipped 5 percent. Desperate Housewives (9.22 mil/3.1) used its shiny new lead-in to notch gains of 11 and 7 percent.

* CSI: Miami (9.8 mil/2.1) was down about 10 percent. ABC's fluctuating Pan Am enjoyed the last sprinkling of Once pixie dust, holding steady at 5.8 mil and a fourth-place 1.8 rating.

WillEagle

The wife and I both watched this on Huluplus and we both enjoyed it very much. I mentioned in another post that I watched the World Series because the guy pitching for Texas is from my hometown! It was exciting watching it! Looking foward to more episodes of Once Upon A Time.

Geekyfanboy

That is what I'm hearing alot from folks.. that both the wife and husband and children are watching this together.. that's rare now a days.

Geekyfanboy

Great second episode!!! And it's holding on to it's big ratings.. which is a good sign.

Anyone else catch it?

Dangelus

I enjoyed the pilot but this episode has really started to get things moving. It was pretty good.

Still very much a "family" show which can have its disadvantages but I think it will do well. Some great actors in this too.

Rico

I liked episode two as well.  One thing about this series concerns me already though.  The premise seems like it might be hard to maintain for a long period of time.  I wonder how far they have planned things out for?

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Rico on November 01, 2011, 03:03:24 PM
I liked episode two as well.  One thing about this series concerns me already though.  The premise seems like it might be hard to maintain for a long period of time.  I wonder how far they have planned things out for?

Well I read they had the story and idea planned out while they were still working on Lost. Don't know how long it will run I just hope when the times comes for the end we get a proper ending.

sheldor

From the creators of Lost, right?   Maybe they were on an island and transported to this town

Dangelus

One way I can see it going may be [spoiler]We get to the season finale and the characters find out who they are but remain in the real world. Perhaps then we may see them develop some of the fairy tale powers and conflicts in the real world. That might be interesting.[/spoiler]

ElfManDan

Quote from: Geekyfanboy on November 01, 2011, 03:10:38 PM

Well I read they had the story and idea planned out while they were still working on Lost. Don't know how long it will run I just hope when the times comes for the end we get a proper ending.

That's concerns me too. I just am having trouble seeing it play out. As I recall with Lost it did get a little stretched out over the middle part of the series. I gave up and came back later on with that.

Also it's the same things I have with Grimm, how do you make a show that doesn't get formulaic and stays within the essence and premise like these. Over all though I think this is the best of the new shows I've seen so far, but I do worry it may fade with time.

Rico

I don't see the same issue with Grimm at all.  For Once Upon a Time, the focus is on this town and these people.  I can see them doing a season or two telling various back stories, but eventually the curse will need to be worked on.  Grimm is much more like Buffy or Angel and those easily ran for many seasons each.  I'm enjoying both series, but I just think the basic concept of Once,.... is much trickier to prolong.

spaltor

Quote from: Rico on November 02, 2011, 04:30:22 AM
I don't see the same issue with Grimm at all.  For Once Upon a Time, the focus is on this town and these people.  I can see them doing a season or two telling various back stories, but eventually the curse will need to be worked on.  Grimm is much more like Buffy or Angel and those easily ran for many seasons each.  I'm enjoying both series, but I just think the basic concept of Once,.... is much trickier to prolong.

Agreed.  "Grimm" is really looking to be a crime procedural with a supernatural bent.  "Once Upon A Time" seems to just have this one main storyline, at least for now.  But the preview for this week's episode seems to indicate that it will focus on the Snow White/Prince Charming backstory.  We'll see.  I'm wondering if the story would have been better served in a miniseries.  But if they have it planned out for the season (or even a few seasons?), they could make all my fears unwarranted.  I hope that's the case.

Ronzo

:thumbsup My family enjoyed the episodes so far. I like the way their character names reflect their fairy tale names. I also hope for a good strong tight story arc. I would hate for it to drag out in tangents where they end up on an island with the others. By the way, I think someone does remember who they were, and is all reality in charge.

RONZO

ElfManDan

Quote from: spaltor on November 02, 2011, 08:12:31 AM
Quote from: Rico on November 02, 2011, 04:30:22 AM

Agreed.  "Grimm" is really looking to be a crime procedural with a supernatural bent.  "Once Upon A Time" seems to just have this one main storyline, at least for now.  But the preview for this week's episode seems to indicate that it will focus on the Snow White/Prince Charming backstory.  We'll see.  I'm wondering if the story would have been better served in a miniseries.  But if they have it planned out for the season (or even a few seasons?), they could make all my fears unwarranted.  I hope that's the case.

Well you can read what I said about Grimm over there, but what I mean is the shows I don't see lasting very long if they remain just based on the premise of fairytales. They are gonna get either formulaic or they have to break from their original premise. Overall Once Upon a Time I see it being a little more open to different sorts of episodes, but it's gonna get boring quick if it remains to be like it's starting out. Though I think their is some hope. It's just a little concern I have with the both.