• Welcome to TREKS IN SCI-FI FORUM.

News:

Don't forget to drop a review on iTunes for the podcast sometime or send a donation in for the show.

Main Menu

"Grimm" - tv series

Started by Rico, May 17, 2011, 07:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangelus

Yep definitely captured some of that creepy but funny Buffy and Angel vibe so this is just up my street.

I love the idea that these creatures are the basis of fairy tale creatures and that certain elements from the stories are played out in the show. Looking forward to watch creatures and stories they tackle on this one.

ElfManDan

I didn't get that Buffy or Angel vibe personally. It didn't have that kind of humor, and I didn't really connect quickly with any of the characters. On the other hand I didn't hate them though. I'm hoping it doesn't become a formulaic series. Although supernatural it did feel a little procedural to me. Though with only one episode down it's hard to say what it's gonna be like.

Dangelus

I was referring to the mix of humour, action and the supernatural being reminiscent of Buffy / Angel not that it was like it.

Characters are going to take a while to gel. I just think finding out about the "real world" versions of fairy tale monsters is going to be interesting.

Rico

Good ratings start for "Grimm" even being up against the World Series.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/29/idUS246836452220111029

ElfManDan

Quote from: Dangelus on October 31, 2011, 07:40:00 AM
I was referring to the mix of humour, action and the supernatural being reminiscent of Buffy / Angel not that it was like it.

Characters are going to take a while to gel. I just think finding out about the "real world" versions of fairy tale monsters is going to be interesting.

I thought it had a little more of a Supernatural (the show) feel to it. That show started out a little weak as well, but I liked Sam and Dean from the beginning. That show did catch on into season 2 and 3. Grimm is in no way bad, it's just warming up I think. I'm just still on the fence a little bit, can't entirely say one way or another. Really depends how it starts to develop into the next few episodes.

Dangelus

Yeah you got a point about Supernatural, but more about Lore than the spiritual I suppose.

ElfManDan

Quote from: Dangelus on October 31, 2011, 12:26:17 PM
Yeah you got a point about Supernatural, but more about Lore than the spiritual I suppose.

Yeah that's true. I've been wondering on that too actually. My thought is how far the "Lore" can go. Maybe I know very little about fairy tales, but are there actually enough to make a decent TV series every week. That's one of my other concerns. Then with that how are they gonna make it and keep it from being fairy tale story of the week. I just worry about it being like I said before formulaic. But I can only speculate until I see more. I'll just have to see what happens.

Rico

Pretty cool second episode.  I really like it when the cop and his "wolf" buddy work together.  They need to have more of that.  Fun series so far.

ori-STUDFARM

Going off the first episodes, I would have said I enjoyed this Series the most over Once Upon A Time. However, after seeing both second episodes, I've changed my mind and prefer OUAT...but thats just on the second episodes

I enjoyed the second episode of Grimm, but not as much as the first episode. I'm going to have to stick with both series to see where they go....at least for now.

Geekyfanboy

Finally caught the first two episodes.. really enjoyed both of them.. I love that we have two fairytale/fantasy series but both are extremely different from each other. Let's hope both continue for a while.

Jobydrone

I saw the pilot tonight and was kind of...meh.  It's a good concept but executed poorly.  I think the writing seemed amateurish to me.  Too many tired clichés in one hour of programming...just as an example:  the mean doctor who harshly enforces hospital visiting regulations just as the patient is about to reveal critical information.    I think I'll watch the next two episodes but this show is on my bubble for sure.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

I missed the second episode but saw last nights and it was pretty good! And a nice guest spot for Nana Visitor!

M-5

I loved last night's episode.

Rico

Last night's episode was pretty fun.  I can see the story arc starting to work it's way in now a little.  Still enjoying this series quite a bit.  Easily passed my three episode trial period.

Dangelus

Another good episode.

My only criticism is the poor quality CGI "make-up" on the actors playing the creatures. It is a little jarring in this episode, almost like they had a lot less budget for it than in the pilot where it looked reasonable.

I hope they consider switching to "real" makeup and use morphing effects as in Angel / Buffy.